Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Utter Farce, and a disgrace!
13-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Utter Farce, and a disgrace!
Just been reading..
http://recombu.com/digital/news/barnsley...12370.html

Is it just me or does something seem decidely dodgy about all of this?

They're closing down a perfectly viable network.. then getting BT to duplicate some of what is already done, although far from anywhere near as comprehensive as what's already in place... all while getting extra cash from the Council and asking the residents for extra cash?

It really does seem like the inmates are running the asylum!

[Image: swampster.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2013, 06:03 PM
RE: Utter Farce, and a disgrace!
(13-11-2013 10:57 AM)Swampster Wrote:  Just been reading..
http://recombu.com/digital/news/barnsley...12370.html

Is it just me or does something seem decidely dodgy about all of this?

They're closing down a perfectly viable network.. then getting BT to duplicate some of what is already done, although far from anywhere near as comprehensive as what's already in place... all while getting extra cash from the Council and asking the residents for extra cash?

It really does seem like the inmates are running the asylum!
But it's not a financially viable network. That's why it's being closed. In hindsight (a wonderful thing), it would have made far more sense to have let BT get on with building their FTTC network and for the SY councils to chip in a million or so to do the cabinets that won't otherwise provide a return for BT. Would have saved £100m being flushed down the toilet. This seems to be the way BDUK are now going after SYDR failure.
13-11-2013, 10:27 PM
The Rose Hill estate which is just round corner to me has no cabinets in streets or telegraph poles, their connections are all underground. The Water Royd estate I'm not sure about.

I was lucky as I'm between the estates and thus supplied by telegraph poles and not far from the cabinet.

So in certain parts of Dodworth we are served by both BT Infinity and Digital Region (who didn't think it was viable to install in those areas either)

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
15-11-2013, 09:27 AM
There's no way the network itself is unviable especially given time, otherwise BT wouldn't be replicating much of what's already been done.
The only way SYDR is unviable is through mismanagment, poor decision making and silly 'equivalency' rules that help no one other than BT.

[Image: swampster.png]
15-11-2013, 07:03 PM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2013 07:08 PM by clifft.)
But the issue is that none of the major ISPs are interested in signing up customers for FTTC other than through Openreach. Keeps it simple for them. They don't want to have to deal with a myriad of network providers. That's why DR failed. No amount of time would change that. They should have had discussions with Sky and Talktalk before they started. Without them it was sadly doomed. Vanity project led by people with no business sense. Signed off by politicians with similar lack of experience.
15-03-2014, 12:18 AM
(15-11-2013 09:27 AM)Swampster Wrote:  There's no way the network itself is unviable especially given time, otherwise BT wouldn't be replicating much of what's already been done.
The only way SYDR is unviable is through mismanagment, poor decision making and silly 'equivalency' rules that help no one other than BT.

Exactly, it is viable, but no with the levels of staffing they have and that's down to poor processes. There's no way on earth £109m should have been spent to get to the point we're at right now with the limited revenue DR shows.

Leased Lines - You know you want one! Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)