Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Councils Looking To Go BDUK?
15-01-2014, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2014 03:43 PM by essenby.)
RE: Councils Looking To Go BDUK?
@Hippojay .
You are of course correct - there is no way any existing player would want to buy a failing company, especially one which may come with a large outstanding debt which needs to be serviced. But the nub of the issue is whether they would be in the market for the assets. The DR cabinets and fibre etc are completely separate from the company called DR, which is in effect "dead".

The R.O.I in theses assets is clear and obvious. Increased capacity and a fibre presence in areas they currently have no presence, as well as the measly 3000 (at least) current subscribers. If BDUK money is used to assimilate and integrate those assets and fill in the gaps then no one will care that DR is dead, or how it died.

Barrie_____________________________________
Dreaming the Life rather than Living the Dream Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2014, 10:54 PM
(15-01-2014 03:42 PM)essenby Wrote:  The R.O.I in theses assets is clear and obvious. Increased capacity and a fibre presence in areas they currently have no presence, as well as the measly 3000 (at least) current subscribers. If BDUK money is used to assimilate and integrate those assets and fill in the gaps then no one will care that DR is dead, or how it died.

Yep - I would think that any BDUK money would only help.

Also, I suppose I'd/we'd better be more accurate about the subscribers. The 3,000 subscribers are customers of the ISPs (or ISP, as it seems that Origin are the only serious ISP on the network - Yep, I'm specifically excluding ASK4!!). So there is probably less revenue to be had (immediately) from DR as it's the ISP that owns the relationship and can sell to the customer, not the network. Makes it more difficult to grow and generate extra revenue.
16-01-2014, 10:45 AM
(15-01-2014 11:44 AM)Hippojay Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 10:48 AM)Swampster Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 10:01 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  Overall I think getting a major player to take over the network whether it BT, Sky or Virgin is the best move possible for it and the users on there

Agree with this entirely, and any further BDUK money (if forthcoming) used to fill in any gaps..

Bit of a pipe dream though eh?

If I was Sky/BT (i'll leave Virgin out at the mo) - why would I want to purchase DR? A whole seperate network for what? 3,000 (if numbers are believed) subscribers?

Fibre might be interesting, as digging up roads is an expensive operation, but the rest? No thanks..

It amazes me that in this country we dig up roads where every other country digs up the pavement which it should.

Well Sky bought O2's LLU network and customer base. It also took on UK Online's LLU network which is now their backbone. Having a select Fibre base may not harm them.

The customers on the network for me isn't the issue as that's not really defined as assets. The cabling is defined as the asset.

(15-01-2014 12:29 PM)Swampster Wrote:  That's only 300 subscribers on DR as it stands, if a big player were to take it up there'd be a damned site more than that .. I'd be amazed if there wasn't way more than 3000 subscribers on BT's own FTTC in South Yorkshire already and that's with it's very spartan and patchy coverage.

There must be something worthwhile to this fibre lark, as BT are merrily going about duplicating what is already in place..

It's all about advertising, something that Digital Region has never been good at isn't it. At the end of the day, if Digital Region marketed this heavily to ISP's instead of waiting on them to make an offer, this project wouldn't have been in dire position as it has been for the past 2/3 years.

Personally, I'm all up for BT taking it on and just moulding it into the BT Openreach network.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-01-2014, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2014 06:40 PM by Chalky.)
(16-01-2014 10:45 AM)SpencerUk Wrote:  Well Sky bought O2's LLU network and customer base. It also took on UK Online's LLU network which is now their backbone. Having a select Fibre base may not harm them.

Can't really use Sky as an example as they have only bought O2 for their Customers. A client of ours have a BE Business Annex M Bonded Line and the client is moving offices (literally down the road). Sky have said that we can't have the same service as the connection has to be a Sky one now.

They don't do Annex M, they don't do Bonded Lines, you can't have a Static IP address and you can't be a business customer they only do consumer lines.

They offered us Free Line Rental for a year if we took a Fibre package... Don't you think we'd use FTTC instead of bonded ADSL lines if FTTC was available in the area, D'UH SKY! So they then offered us free consumer ADSL for a year, but again we can't use this because of no static IP address and it's a business.

They only decided to tell us this AFTER we moved the line, so now all they have is a dial-tone and no broadband!

It's crazy because most BE Customers are with BE for all of the extras they were able to do and now Sky have basically shut all of those customers out!

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

17-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Got to remember Sky also took O2 Wholesale as part of the deal. That along with their network would have been the asset though. Access to other partners.

Taking on Digital Region would't be a bad thing but I honestly can't see it happening. The strapping of the debt + having to play hardball with BT may be too much for them.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
19-01-2014, 01:01 PM
(17-01-2014 12:14 PM)SpencerUk Wrote:  Got to remember Sky also took O2 Wholesale as part of the deal. That along with their network would have been the asset though. Access to other partners.

Taking on Digital Region would't be a bad thing but I honestly can't see it happening. The strapping of the debt + having to play hardball with BT may be too much for them.

sky did not get o2 wholesale it remained with Telefónica UK info here

Ash

[Image: 4173472130.png][Image: 8115047.png]
21-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Telefonica manage it on behalf of Sky..I sit next to the Service Desk team who deal with it Smile

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
21-01-2014, 08:14 PM
(21-01-2014 05:24 PM)SpencerUk Wrote:  Telefonica manage it on behalf of Sky..I sit next to the Service Desk team who deal with it Smile

well they do untill this feb when it gets closed down lol

Ash

[Image: 4173472130.png][Image: 8115047.png]
30-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Not sure if anyones posted this,apologies if they have.

http://www.wearebarnsley.com/mobile/news...dband-cost

Phil.
31-01-2014, 09:37 AM
"We'd be happy to talk to the government and South Yorkshire's local authorities to see if we can support their push to 90 per cent and beyond."

I find my reaction amusing when I read things like that. Makes me want to send some form of correspondence to the appropriate government representative saying "look, they want to talk, they said so to the media."

I feel as if they are telling the media first that they want to talk, I feel like an intermediary
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)