Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Ask4 Silence - Any News??
13-03-2014, 01:59 PM
RE: Ask4 Silence - Any News??
I've received the same email also. I've been trying to move to Orange since January but currently stuck in the 'you need a MAC code to proceed' loop since it seems my previous provider (plusnet) still has a tag on the line.

Plusnet agreed on Tuesday that they would remove this tag but it is still showing, although Orange have agreed this morning that they can now remove the tag and should be able to proceed!

This has taken around 7 weeks of chasing various parties so far and all I want to do is move with the minimum of downtime.

I have to say that since I've been with DRL/Ask4 I've been very impressed with the speed and performance and am looking forward to moving to an 80/20 product.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2014, 04:41 PM
(13-03-2014 01:51 PM)pob Wrote:  I've received an (unprompted) email from Ask4 today about the forthcoming closure - no new information. I've attached it for those that want to see it.

Thanks - I've not received anything yet, but I'm guessing it's prompted by a lot of support calls going in.

Anyway, I'm happy with that - it's a lot more informative than the woolly Origin press release and I know where I stand with ASK4.

Now just trying to decide how long I'm going to be without BB for if I cancel.
13-03-2014, 05:32 PM
(13-03-2014 04:41 PM)Hippojay Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 01:51 PM)pob Wrote:  I've received an (unprompted) email from Ask4 today about the forthcoming closure - no new information. I've attached it for those that want to see it.

Thanks - I've not received anything yet, but I'm guessing it's prompted by a lot of support calls going in.

Anyway, I'm happy with that - it's a lot more informative than the woolly Origin press release and I know where I stand with ASK4.

Now just trying to decide how long I'm going to be without BB for if I cancel.

The email got filtered into my junk mail box, may be worth checking?
13-03-2014, 07:13 PM
it's good to see they are letting users out of their contract early without financial penalty - would be good for other providers on the network to also do this as it is not a fault of the customer's the network is closing down

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
13-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Thanks for all your input. I'm glad we've finally got some information about the network closure date.

Please can one of you clever guys clarify this: -

Quote:Once you have received confirmation that the cease process is completed, you can request a new service from a new provider.
Please note that this is not a migration as such, it is what is referred to as a "cease and re-provide”. This means you will be without an internet connection for as long as it takes your new provider to activate their service on your line.

Does this mean that another fibre product, e.g. BT Infinity, can't be installed and used until Ask4 have done something at their end? Is there something technical that prevents BT switching data back onto their fibre whilst my DRL connection is still active?

Just curious. Cheers guys.
13-03-2014, 10:24 PM
(13-03-2014 10:00 PM)Rigsby Wrote:  Does this mean that another fibre product, e.g. BT Infinity, can't be installed and used until Ask4 have done something at their end? Is there something technical that prevents BT switching data back onto their fibre whilst my DRL connection is still active?

Yep -the old provider has to have released control of the line, by having the "tag" cleared (basically a label to say the line is in use). Until this is done, another provider cannot take control.

I think it's partly there to stop lines being transferred without your knowledge.
13-03-2014, 10:51 PM
(13-03-2014 10:00 PM)Rigsby Wrote:  Thanks for all your input. I'm glad we've finally got some information about the network closure date.

Please can one of you clever guys clarify this: -

Quote:Once you have received confirmation that the cease process is completed, you can request a new service from a new provider.
Please note that this is not a migration as such, it is what is referred to as a "cease and re-provide”. This means you will be without an internet connection for as long as it takes your new provider to activate their service on your line.

Does this mean that another fibre product, e.g. BT Infinity, can't be installed and used until Ask4 have done something at their end? Is there something technical that prevents BT switching data back onto their fibre whilst my DRL connection is still active?

Just curious. Cheers guys.

In this scenario though its Thales that have to do something at their end rather than the ISP, the ISP would just tell Thales that they wish to cease the connection, Thales would then request a cease from BT/Openreach.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)