Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Origin Digital Region Update
04-03-2014, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2014 09:15 PM by mirdragon.)
RE: Origin Digital Region Update
(04-03-2014 08:02 PM)fibretyke Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 07:33 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  You don't have to share your connection to get the free wifi - you can register then after activation you can disable the option on the homehub or use your own router

also if you have the HG612 that can be used as the modem (even if you have the homehub 5)

OK cheers. Been connected a few hours now and first impressions of the HH5 are good, so up to now, I intend to stick with it.

Initial sync was a couple of Mbps better than I got on DR and throughput is also up. In fact, at times, the DL speed reported by my NAS drive has risen well above the reported sync speed, which is something I never saw on DR. Not sure what's going on there, but I understand the 'settling down' period can last several days. So far, so good! Cool

go here to get details on line - also the HH5 does tell you what your max sync speed and what you are connected at

as for using the HG612 with the HH5 - there is a bug in the HH5 that forces it to reset on a regular basis (a reboot) this will disconnect your VDSL at the same time, using the HG612 will leave the VDSL still up when the HH5 reboots.

(04-03-2014 08:08 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 07:33 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  You don't have to share your connection to get the free wifi - you can register then after activation you can disable the option on the homehub or use your own router

also if you have the HG612 that can be used as the modem (even if you have the homehub 5)

That is a "glitch" in the system though as its not supposed to let you use other FON spots if you are not sharing yourself. (as its against the whole point of the scheme)

Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a homehub SSID that is NOT sharing their connection. It hurts nobody to share, there are no security implications (as it runs over a VPN back to BTs core network) and its just downright selfish.

I run a Fonera at home by choice and it would REALLY piss me off to know someone is accessing it without sharing their own connection in return. Not that anyone has EVER used my connection.

If someone doesn't want to share there connection why should they. They might only have a 1mb connection and want to use all the bandwidth, so why would they want to give part of it to someone else. They may not also want to use the bt wifi when out and about and may have no need to use it. I think being 'peeved off' just because someone won't share there internet with you is a bit over the top in my opinion.

(04-03-2014 08:16 PM)fibretyke Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 08:08 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  That is a "glitch" in the system though as its not supposed to let you use other FON spots if you are not sharing yourself. (as its against the whole point of the scheme)

Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a homehub SSID that is NOT sharing their connection. It hurts nobody to share, there are no security implications (as it runs over a VPN back to BTs core network) and its just downright selfish.

I agree, and I'm leaving mine set to share, but only because I did my homework and understand that my private network has absolute priority over all the bandwith. Many people won't have bothered to check, and if I thought I was giving away bandwith at times when I could be using it, I would turn it off like a shot! Wink

Since the release of the HH3 it has been automatically set on the devices and you have to opt out of the service - on the HH5 you have no ability to disable the option manually and even if you opt out it will still be activated (takes upto 28 days to remove, but firmware updates reactivate it). Even if you turn off the wireless signal (like I have as I use the archer c7 for wireless) the bt wifi is still active

also quote from BT's Terms and Conditions for BT Wifi
Quote:* Even if you don't have a BT Home Hub you will still get the minutes of access when you opt-in. If you get a BT Home Hub in the future and remain opted in it will automatically be configured to allow other BT Wi-fi members to log in.

Also a good thing with the HH5 is that you can still look at the logs after a power cut or reboot

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2014, 09:37 PM
(04-03-2014 09:07 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  go here to get details on line - also the HH5 does tell you what your max sync speed and what you are connected at

Mine just reports the current sync speed and uptime - no theoretical max, or at least I can't find one in the advanced settings. Maybe they've removed that in a firmware revision? BT speed test pretty much concurs with the sync stats reported by the hub.

(04-03-2014 09:07 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  as for using the HG612 with the HH5 - there is a bug in the HH5 that forces it to reset on a regular basis (a reboot) this will disconnect your VDSL at the same time, using the HG612 will leave the VDSL still up when the HH5 reboots.
I can live with the odd reboot, so long as it doesn't affect the speed. On DR, the cellpipe used to reset almost every day, whereas the HG612 never reset, but the speeds were the same with both (a tad more UL on the HG612). Currently have 31 hours uptime on the HH5 - it's yet to disconnect or resync since the initial power-up.

Out of interest, what settings need to be altered to convert a HG612 from the DR setup back to BT, without restoring the BT firmware?
06-03-2014, 12:19 AM
it's under 'troubleshooting' then 'helpdesk' it only displays if using the HH5 as the VDSL modem as well

I just used the bog standard installer for the firmware, so didn't have to make changes, but the draytek website has info on how to setup the draytek's for the vdsl connection

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
06-03-2014, 11:36 PM
(06-03-2014 12:19 AM)mirdragon Wrote:  it's under 'troubleshooting' then 'helpdesk' it only displays if using the HH5 as the VDSL modem as well

I just used the bog standard installer for the firmware, so didn't have to make changes, but the draytek website has info on how to setup the draytek's for the vdsl connection

Found the page but it's a bit confusing, because the actual data rates (6) are higher than the maximums (7). Not by much, though. It's done a couple of reboots and both times the sync reported under connection settings has crept up a little bit, don't think it will get much higher now but it's outperforming the DR kit, so no complaints at all there.

Draytek website - don't you mean Huawei?

The firmware I've got in there now is the standard unlocked version with setting tweaks for DR applied. So if the out-of-the-box settings work on BT, all I need to do is a hard reset, yes?
07-03-2014, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2014 10:29 PM by alexatkin.)
As I understand it yes a hard reset should restore the BT settings. However have a read of this before plugging it in to BT as they have started updating firmware of hacked HG612 routers blocking the web interface.

Its probably a good idea for all of us to flash the firmware with BTAgent removed in preparation for being moved over to BT.

I have just switched to Wolfy's experimental version of the latest BT firmware and all seems well so far:
[Image: 2014-03-07_btagent.png]

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2014, 08:34 PM
(07-03-2014 07:52 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  As I understand it yes a hard reset should restore the BT settings. However have a read of this before plugging it in to BT as they have started updating firmware of hacked HG612 routers blocking the web interface.

Thanks for the warning. I can live without the ability to login, but stability is important to me now that I'm going to be relying on IPTV services. The HH5 has rebooted itself 2 or 3 times since Wednesday night, as mirdragon warned me it would (just like what the DR cellpipe POS did). I'm now considering putting the HG612 back for line stability and keeping the HH5 as a router, because it has ac wireless unlike my old Asus rt-56. If the reboots persist even with a separate modem then it's back to the Asus. That combination has proven capable of going for months without dropping the ball even once.

Going to wait until the 10 day settling period is up, but the sync has dropped back a tiny bit with the latest reboot, so I'm pretty sure it's now found the optimum stable speed.
26-08-2014, 08:05 PM
Well, I jumped ship. Plusnet Fibre was activated Wednesday last week.

Half the price, and literally a more lively connection!

[Image: littlegreengeek.png]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)