Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Origin Digital Region Update
15-02-2014, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2014 12:08 AM by Swampster.)
RE: Origin Digital Region Update
I have to say, that during my recent house move and consequent migration from Digital Region, Origin did their best to to try and match the alternative proposal I had on the table.
However sadly, they were simply at that time unable to compete on like for like products.. and by a fair margin when all things and extras were considered it eventually became a bit of a no brainer as far as my circumstances were concerned.

Don't get me wrong, if money were no object for me I'd have most likely stuck with Origin as I would rather support a proper local company than the likes of BT etc... however, with a new mortgage, and a flakey economical environment pennies matter! So cost won out.. and unfortunately for Origin I think this is going to be a pretty common occurance over the coming months as unless they can squeeze out even more competitive pricing then I think they're going to struggle to compete.

OK, so I'm going to have to speak to 'Peter' in downtown Bangalore to try and get anything fixed.. but that's a risk I've had to take on board!

[Image: swampster.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2014, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2014 05:48 PM by john22rob.)
I just hope they use their common sense when they start moving people across to the new network. Move the people that are to be downgraded to adsl last!

[Image: john22rob.png]

http://www.quidco.com/user/1417009/232503
15-02-2014, 07:31 PM
God knows how Origin intend to compete nationally.
15-02-2014, 07:50 PM
What we need to know ASAP from Origin is what packages they will be offering and how much the cost will be.

Phil.
15-02-2014, 09:07 PM
(15-02-2014 07:50 PM)Ray_Von Wrote:  What we need to know ASAP from Origin is what packages they will be offering and how much the cost will be.

I agree with that one, surely they know who won't get fibre
15-02-2014, 10:51 PM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2014 10:54 PM by alexatkin.)
(15-02-2014 07:31 PM)WillPS Wrote:  God knows how Origin intend to compete nationally.

Origin are really competing with the likes of Zen Internet and AAISP, the latter of which are much more expensive.

I'm guessing this is why they have been making deals with businesses behind the scenes, because they REALLY need a build a reputation for providing a service comparable to those ISPs, because that is EXACTLY what they are doing IMO.

The ONLY market for a new ISP is really offering something in the high-end. They simply cannot compete with the likes of Talk Talk, Sky, and they shouldn't even be trying to.

Just look at my ping graph, how many ISPs provide such consistency? Although it remains to be seen if that will continue when on the BT infrastructure which WILL have contention at peak times unless Origin are paying for a LOT of backhaul.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-02-2014, 11:03 PM
(15-02-2014 10:51 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  Origin are really competing with the likes of Zen Internet and AAISP, the latter of which are much more expensive.

Agreed they are expensive and also good isp's,but who is going to pay that kind of monthly outlay to get around 2mb or less.

I myself don't mind paying for a good service but £18-£25+ for a 1.5mb/2mb at the most is poor value for money imo.

Phil.
16-02-2014, 12:38 AM
(15-02-2014 11:03 PM)Ray_Von Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 10:51 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  Origin are really competing with the likes of Zen Internet and AAISP, the latter of which are much more expensive.

Agreed they are expensive and also good isp's,but who is going to pay that kind of monthly outlay to get around 2mb or less.

I myself don't mind paying for a good service but £18-£25+ for a 1.5mb/2mb at the most is poor value for money imo.

Totally agree I will not pay that sort of money for sub 2mb connection that I used to have.

However BT fttc cabinets have been in place for quite some time round here but when I try now they are not accepting orders and saying there is a problem with the rollout however a couple of months ago it showed up as accepting orders Confusedis it possible its all interconnected?
16-02-2014, 12:57 AM
(15-02-2014 05:47 PM)john22rob Wrote:  I just hope they use their common sense when they start moving people across to the new network. Move the people that are to be downgraded to adsl last!

Would be a nice present but at the same time, I'd like to think they would like to give themselves some room to get people off without a hitch..

(15-02-2014 07:50 PM)Ray_Von Wrote:  What we need to know ASAP from Origin is what packages they will be offering and how much the cost will be.

Agreed. Funny feeling this may still be in planning.

(15-02-2014 10:51 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 07:31 PM)WillPS Wrote:  God knows how Origin intend to compete nationally.

Origin are really competing with the likes of Zen Internet and AAISP, the latter of which are much more expensive.

I'm guessing this is why they have been making deals with businesses behind the scenes, because they REALLY need a build a reputation for providing a service comparable to those ISPs, because that is EXACTLY what they are doing IMO.

The ONLY market for a new ISP is really offering something in the high-end. They simply cannot compete with the likes of Talk Talk, Sky, and they shouldn't even be trying to.

Just look at my ping graph, how many ISPs provide such consistency? Although it remains to be seen if that will continue when on the BT infrastructure which WILL have contention at peak times unless Origin are paying for a LOT of backhaul.

@WillPS BT Reseller opens up lots of avenues and doesn't limit them to just south yorkshire.

@alexatkin

I agree they can't compete with big name players and they will essentially be a niche company, but you can't really take in a connections consistency when Digital Region alone only had a couple thousand customers.

Zen has around 94,000 customers according to ISPReview..thats when you can look at the network and compare how its doing IMO.

Putting things in perspective,

Three One Plan sim only, free 4G, 12 month contract. £20, unlimited data...ok its reception dependant, but stick that at back of a router, and say it gets 18Mb, or pay £25-30 for sub 2Mb..No brainer as Kevin Bacon would say...

(16-02-2014 12:38 AM)john1 Wrote:  

Totally agree I will not pay that sort of money for sub 2mb connection that I used to have.

However BT fttc cabinets have been in place for quite some time round here but when I try now they are not accepting orders and saying there is a problem with the rollout however a couple of months ago it showed up as accepting orders Confusedis it possible its all interconnected?

PM Me, see if I can dig up anything for you.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-02-2014, 11:29 AM
(16-02-2014 12:57 AM)SpencerUk Wrote:  Three One Plan sim only, free 4G, 12 month contract. £20, unlimited data...ok its reception dependant, but stick that at back of a router, and say it gets 18Mb, or pay £25-30 for sub 2Mb..No brainer as Kevin Bacon would say...

I think this is exactly what I am going to be doing. The Three signal in my area appears to be "proper" I get at least 21mb down and 2mb up. Previous ADSL2 line was just barely able to squeeze 4mb down.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)