Origin Digital Region Update
16-02-2014, 07:52 PM
RE: Origin Digital Region Update
(16-02-2014 12:57 AM)SpencerUk Wrote:  Putting things in perspective,

Three One Plan sim only, free 4G, 12 month contract. £20, unlimited data...ok its reception dependant, but stick that at back of a router, and say it gets 18Mb, or pay £25-30 for sub 2Mb..No brainer as Kevin Bacon would say...

Just out of interest, how would you go about doing that (sticking it at the back of a router)? Will a SIM designed for a phone work in a USB modem, or were you thinking of bridging with a smartphone over WiFi?

My router is capable of using a USB dongle, but the SIMs sold for that purpose appear to be more expensive and come with limited data, which prompts me to think that a phone SIM would be incompatible.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2014, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2014 08:42 PM by gribz_uk.)
My plan is to get one of these, http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql...plan=PAYG, get a SIM on The One Plan, http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimO...riff=3034, as it allows tethering and off I go.

It's just a standard SIM that goes in the dongle, will just get my existing 30 day contract upgraded and keep the Mini-SIM I already have in my phone.

That's the plan at presently !
17-02-2014, 09:27 AM
(16-02-2014 07:52 PM)fibretyke Wrote:  
(16-02-2014 12:57 AM)SpencerUk Wrote:  Putting things in perspective,

Three One Plan sim only, free 4G, 12 month contract. £20, unlimited data...ok its reception dependant, but stick that at back of a router, and say it gets 18Mb, or pay £25-30 for sub 2Mb..No brainer as Kevin Bacon would say...

Just out of interest, how would you go about doing that (sticking it at the back of a router)? Will a SIM designed for a phone work in a USB modem, or were you thinking of bridging with a smartphone over WiFi?

My router is capable of using a USB dongle, but the SIMs sold for that purpose appear to be more expensive and come with limited data, which prompts me to think that a phone SIM would be incompatible.

Some routers allow such shenanigans
17-02-2014, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2014 11:05 AM by alexatkin.)
(16-02-2014 07:52 PM)fibretyke Wrote:  Just out of interest, how would you go about doing that (sticking it at the back of a router)? Will a SIM designed for a phone work in a USB modem, or were you thinking of bridging with a smartphone over WiFi?

All SIM cards are compatible, the issue is that when you buy a SIM sold for phone use they (usually) forbid you from using it tethered or in a dongle.

Done briefly (like I have) they don't normally care, but if you were using it full time the network WOULD notice and will either block your usage or charge you for the data used.

Its pretty stupid really as with todays smartphones/tablets you could use just as much data on them as your home network, but this is just how the networks deal with the tariffs. The alternative would be for them to charge a LOT more for their phone tariffs to compensate. Quite simply, there just isn't the bandwidth on each cell to allow unlimited use for everyone.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-02-2014, 11:45 AM
With 3's One Plan however tethering is permitted.

[Image: swampster.png]
17-02-2014, 11:55 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2014 11:56 AM by alexatkin.)
(17-02-2014 11:45 AM)Swampster Wrote:  With 3's One Plan however tethering is permitted.

True, although I am finding Three falling behind in performance now that O2 has done their 4G upgrades around here (as its improved 3G speeds dramatically).

I suppose things will probably switch again once Three get their 4G network going.

17-02-2014, 11:56 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2014 11:58 AM by Ray_Von.)
Another option I am considering is just using a tablet as a standalone without any wifi ta home.Probably getting a 4G enabled one with at least a 10" screen.Tbh it would probably suffice for my internet needs.
My Galaxy Note 2 is with T Mobile and this morning I did a couple of speedtests using 3G.

One was just over 9.3mb down and 2.3 up and the other was 7mb down and 1.67 up.Compare that with previous BT speeds of 1.2 down and 0.4 up.

I'm not sure if other networks would give me better results.3 mobile seem to have the best bang for your buck especially when data allowances are concerned.
Is there anyway you can see where mobile masts are located.I know O2 show theirs on their coverage checker.There does seem to be quite a lot of O2 masts local to me and my OH's O2(non internet)phone shows a very good signal.

Phil.
17-02-2014, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2014 12:05 PM by alexatkin.)
Like I said in the other thread, O2 seems to have improved their 3G speeds as part of the 4G upgrade. I used to get a maximum of 7Mbit on the local mast, only about 50metres away from it. Now I get:
[Image: 3283225934.png]

It will come as no shock to find I get fairly poor signals on all networks apart from O2 at home. T-Mobile was okay for phone calls but their speeds were never that good. Three is just weak and Vodafone the last time I was on them was utterly useless all around Sheffield.

17-02-2014, 01:25 PM
I'm finding T-Mobile (now EE of course) to be pretty dire for just about everything lately.. no matter where I am! I think they went a bit too mast cull crazy!

[Image: swampster.png]
17-02-2014, 02:57 PM
I'm not aware of them shutting any masts off but I'm not even sure where you would find that sort of information.

They "supposedly" used the additional masts in the merger so that when two were near each other they traded the 2G frequency to 4G. Not sure they did anything with their 3G frequencies though and I am not aware of them actually shutting off any masts

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)