Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Leaving DR - Should I initially get ADSL2 and then switch back to Fibre?
13-03-2014, 01:41 PM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2014 01:43 PM by Rich28.)
Leaving DR - Should I initially get ADSL2 and then switch back to Fibre?
Given its just matter of time now before DR is switched off I have just about concluded that it makes sense to jump ship soon rather than leave it to the 11th hour.

Thing is though, I want to retain my phone number and don’t want to experience a period of no broadband. I know there’s a number of posts about migrating from DR on this forum, many of which I think I've read. In my case I was planning to ask a neighbour if, as an interim short term measure, I could establish a wireless extension of their broadband, until I'm sorted out with a new Fibre connection that isn't on the DR.

Of course this is a big favour to ask and I really would prefer not to impose on one of my neighbours in this way. However, I was thinking this may be my only way forward until I spoke to Plusnet earlier this morning, who suggested that if I migrated from DR to an ADSL2 package there would be no disruption in my broadband connection, and then when that was set-up, I could easily switch back to fibre. I've never thought about that possibility. Would it, could it work? Any advice or guidance in respect of this would be hugely appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2014, 03:15 PM
RE: Leaving DR - Should I initially get ADSL2 and then switch back to Fibre?
AFAIK, (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) there is no migration process from DR because you can't get a MAC code, which you would surely need because they can't add an ADSL connection whilst VDSL is still active on your line.

If you're an Origin customer then you could to wait and see what Origin come up with in terms of a migration plan. The only other option for keeping your number is to take the hit and wait to be disconnected before placing an order with your new provider

I went with the new line approach, but FWIW, it was only 8 days from placing the order to getting connected.That was with BT. With Plusnet, I've had fibre installs booked at two different properties and my experience was that the appointment was only kept half of the time. Talking to the openreach engineer who did my install last week, he claimed it was usually the ISPs fault when that happens.
13-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Hello all, Reassuring to see many people are in a similar boat to me. There are no other fibre broadband options where I live (in quite a remote area) once DR is turned off. I can't understand why a new owner of the network wouldn't aim to keep some sort of service going? I may switch from Ask4 to Origin in the short term, but it looks as though I will end up with an ADSL2 service. Copper wires from exchange to here sometimes gave me up to 0.5 meg compared to 10 currently. Having waited a long time for a decent speed connection it feels like a huge step backwards.
13-03-2014, 05:34 PM
(13-03-2014 04:11 PM)heyender Wrote:  Hello all, Reassuring to see many people are in a similar boat to me. There are no other fibre broadband options where I live (in quite a remote area) once DR is turned off. I can't understand why a new owner of the network wouldn't aim to keep some sort of service going? I may switch from Ask4 to Origin in the short term, but it looks as though I will end up with an ADSL2 service. Copper wires from exchange to here sometimes gave me up to 0.5 meg compared to 10 currently. Having waited a long time for a decent speed connection it feels like a huge step backwards.

The email from ASK4 today advises that there is currently no way to migrate from them to another DR provider.
13-03-2014, 06:02 PM
(13-03-2014 04:11 PM)heyender Wrote:  I can't understand why a new owner of the network wouldn't aim to keep some sort of service going?

Therein lies the problem... there is no new owner as of yet, and it's all been so hush hush in terms of news I'd be amazed it there was a white knight rescue of the network before it's shut down entirely.

[Image: swampster.png]
13-03-2014, 09:36 PM
I think its pretty obvious that in order to take over the network they have to take over the debt. However once the network is closed and the business gone, selling off the network becomes a liquidation matter and so the owner would NOT take on the debt.

If that is true (and I am no legal expert but I think it is), would YOU want to take over the network while its still live?

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-03-2014, 01:19 AM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2014 01:20 AM by WillPS.)
An insolvent business doesn't have to close in order for assets to be sold separate to any debt. Administration is exactly that process.

Somebody mentioned that it can't go in to Administration because it's owned by public bodies; but I can't personally validate that such legislation exists (it would, for example, prevent companies like Channel 4 and Nottingham City Transport amongst many others going in to administration).
15-03-2014, 12:14 AM
You can get a MAC code for going from SLU to ADSL, but you can't get a MAC code to go from SLU to LLU or to FTTC/P off the top of my head. So if you want a relatively uninterrupted transition you need to go from DR to ADSL (not LLU ADSL), then upgrade from ADSL to FTTC/P.

Leased Lines - You know you want one! Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)