Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
BT Infinity
08-04-2014, 12:50 PM
BT Infinity
Firstly, apologies if this topic has been discussed elsewhere.

Has anyone ever managed to get a satisfactory answer out of BT as to why someone (me) can manage to get respectable download speeds through DR (5.8 m/s) but cannot get Infinity even though they keep bombarding me with marketing literature pointing out that it is available in my area and why don't I give it a try?!

All I can ever manage to get is a 'computer say no' type of response with apparently no ability to discuss the issue with anyone who might be able to explain why, given the BT cabinet sits virtually next to DR's, they can't offer me anything better than 1MB/s ADSL.

To be honest, if it were not for the imminent demise of DR I woudn't go near BT with a barge pole, but there do not appear to be many options!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2014, 01:26 PM
RE: BT Infinity
What do you get if you put your number into this:

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com
08-04-2014, 01:51 PM
(08-04-2014 01:26 PM)Hippojay Wrote:  What do you get if you put your number into this:

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com

Tried to print screen but it wouldn't let me.

I get: FTTC Range A (Clean) Downstream Line Rate 4.4 mb/s (High) 2.5 (Low). FTTC Range B (Impacted) 3.5 (High) 1.4 (Low).

Upstream Range A 1.2 (High) 2.5 (Low); Range B 1.0 (High) 0.5 (Low)
08-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Its because your number is connected to DRL you would either need a new line or cease your DRL connection first.

I would ring BT and see what they say

[Image: livetag_409452.png]
08-04-2014, 05:21 PM
oooohhhh just put my number in looks like I can get BT fttc thats a turn up ! they must have only recently come on stream
08-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Unfortunately, from my experience, BT will be no help. They don't know what DRL is and can't deal with the number not working through the BT retail checker.

The one I linked to was the BT wholesale checker, which should report regardless of DRL status.

If it reports FTTC numbers, then at least you know that your cabinet is enabled.

It's actually a bit hard to see, but was the FTTC figures 4.4megabits/sec??? Or have you changes it into megabytes/sec. There is a minimum line speed that FTTC will be considered for.

As with everyone else, the only option to move is to cease your DRL service and reorder with someone else.
08-04-2014, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2014 06:02 PM by Dodeth.)
(08-04-2014 05:29 PM)Hippojay Wrote:  Unfortunately, from my experience, BT will be no help. They don't know what DRL is and can't deal with the number not working through the BT retail checker.

The one I linked to was the BT wholesale checker, which should report regardless of DRL status.

If it reports FTTC numbers, then at least you know that your cabinet is enabled.

It's actually a bit hard to see, but was the FTTC figures 4.4megabits/sec??? Or have you changes it into megabytes/sec. There is a minimum line speed that FTTC will be considered for.

As with everyone else, the only option to move is to cease your DRL service and reorder with someone else.

It's Mbps, which I assume is megabits/sec.

(08-04-2014 05:29 PM)Hippojay Wrote:  Unfortunately, from my experience, BT will be no help. They don't know what DRL is and can't deal with the number not working through the BT retail checker.

Spoke to a very nice woman at Plusnet earlier. She reckoned I could get fibre but would be limited to 3 Mb/s down. I'm assuming it's due to the length of the line from the cabinet to my house. My son lives 200 yards away and is getting 30 Mb/s via Infinity. Very frustrating.
08-04-2014, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2014 06:09 PM by Hippojay.)
3 megabits/sec! they won't provide fibre for anything that low - or it was an adsl connection.
08-04-2014, 08:48 PM
That is below the recommendation even for BT and thus reason why you can't get FTTC

Do you know where your DRL cabinet is - if so how far is it from you - have a wander to it and you should see the standard pcp cabinet and within another 100 feet or so you should see a BT FTTC cabinet (if installed in your area).

It shouldn't matter whether or not you have FTTC via DRL, it should still show if you can get FTTC on BT.

Also have you posted on the BT Forum as you may then get a mod to look into it

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
08-04-2014, 09:45 PM
The DSL checker linked to above should tell you what can you are connected to. Good to have that info if you are going to call the standard BT sales number.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)