Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
BT Infinity
09-04-2014, 01:04 PM
RE: BT Infinity
(08-04-2014 06:08 PM)Hippojay Wrote:  3 megabits/sec! they won't provide fibre for anything that low - or it was an adsl connection.

Presumably they would if I paid for it. That's my point. Before DRL I had ADSL with Sky and my best download speed was 0.5 Mb/s. When I signed up with Origin I was warned that BT were telling them that I was unlikely to get better than 2.5 Mb/s due to the fact that the line from the cabinet to my house is 1.2 kilometres long. As this was still massively better than I was getting, I took a chance on Origin and, in the event, have been consistently getting 5.8 to 6.0 Mb/s, which I'm delighted with. So, if I sign up for fibre with Plusnet or BT, with me taking the risk, presumably there is a chance I can get near to the speeds I am achieving with Origin? To be fair to Plusnet, at least they'll discuss it with me. Whereas BT on the other hand....!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2014, 01:46 PM
In which case the reason is the BT Broadband checker will show that fibre is not available due to DRL being on the line. Once you cancel DRL, it will show as available. You might need to argue with them and get them to check via teh BT Wholeslae checker before they believe you - but you still won't be able to migrate to a different FTTC provider without ceasing your current DRL connection.

To be honest, given your circumstances, it would probably be best to stick with origin at the moment and wait til they migrate you onto their new network. At least this would still be a fibre connection and you could see how it performs.
09-04-2014, 02:04 PM
(09-04-2014 01:46 PM)Hippojay Wrote:  In which case the reason is the BT Broadband checker will show that fibre is not available due to DRL being on the line. Once you cancel DRL, it will show as available. You might need to argue with them and get them to check via teh BT Wholeslae checker before they believe you - but you still won't be able to migrate to a different FTTC provider without ceasing your current DRL connection.

To be honest, given your circumstances, it would probably be best to stick with origin at the moment and wait til they migrate you onto their new network. At least this would still be a fibre connection and you could see how it performs.

Thanks very much for your help-greatly appreciated. I will definitely be sticking with Origin while ever I can but people have cast doubt as to whether their new network will be fibre. Just one last question from me - if the reason for BT saying I can't get Infinity is because I already have a DRL connection would that be consistent with them indicating that I can get ADSL?
09-04-2014, 02:27 PM
(09-04-2014 02:04 PM)Dodeth Wrote:  Thanks very much for your help-greatly appreciated. I will definitely be sticking with Origin while ever I can but people have cast doubt as to whether their new network will be fibre. Just one last question from me - if the reason for BT saying I can't get Infinity is because I already have a DRL connection would that be consistent with them indicating that I can get ADSL?

In my experiance yes. I know I can definately get BT Broadband - but if I enter my details into their BT Broadband checker - it tells me that ADSL is my only option. However checkers on other ISPs (such as Plusnet and Zen) will tell me that Fibre is available.

As for origin - whilst they haven't told anyone yet, i think they will be attempting fibre to fibre migrations where BT fibre is at you cab. If there is no BT fibre, then it's a migration onto ADSL2. So hopefully they will simply put you on BT fibre.
09-04-2014, 03:11 PM
(09-04-2014 02:27 PM)Hippojay Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 02:04 PM)Dodeth Wrote:  Thanks very much for your help-greatly appreciated. I will definitely be sticking with Origin while ever I can but people have cast doubt as to whether their new network will be fibre. Just one last question from me - if the reason for BT saying I can't get Infinity is because I already have a DRL connection would that be consistent with them indicating that I can get ADSL?

In my experiance yes. I know I can definately get BT Broadband - but if I enter my details into their BT Broadband checker - it tells me that ADSL is my only option. However checkers on other ISPs (such as Plusnet and Zen) will tell me that Fibre is available.

As for origin - whilst they haven't told anyone yet, i think they will be attempting fibre to fibre migrations where BT fibre is at you cab. If there is no BT fibre, then it's a migration onto ADSL2. So hopefully they will simply put you on BT fibre.

Thanks again for your help.
09-04-2014, 07:25 PM
(09-04-2014 01:46 PM)Hippojay Wrote:  In which case the reason is the BT Broadband checker will show that fibre is not available due to DRL being on the line. Once you cancel DRL, it will show as available.

That is not the case - I had DRL and on checking with BT while with RipWire it showed FTTC was available.

If you're not bothered about line number BT can install new line for FREE but you will get new number

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
09-04-2014, 08:55 PM
(09-04-2014 07:25 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 01:46 PM)Hippojay Wrote:  In which case the reason is the BT Broadband checker will show that fibre is not available due to DRL being on the line. Once you cancel DRL, it will show as available.

That is not the case - I had DRL and on checking with BT while with RipWire it showed FTTC was available.

I believe that it is for dodeth - and is certainly true for me. Your example is from over 2 years ago and the checker has changed since then.
10-04-2014, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2014 09:09 PM by alexatkin.)

People are doubting if Origin will be fibre "where only DR is available". If you are in a BT fibre area then Origin will continue to be fibre, just provided from the BT cabinet instead of the DR one.

Also I can confirm the line checker most definitely does report fibre available even if your line is currently with DR.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)