Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Is the DR Network using Annex A or B?
10-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Is the DR Network using Annex A or B?
Does Digital Region use VDSL Annex B like Openreach or do they use VDSL Annex A?

I wondered as people can use the Openreach modems on Digital Region so just got me thinking since ISPs like LBO/Origin supplied what appears to be an Annex A router in the ZyXel. Is this Zyxel actually custom modified in some way?

TalkTalk Business (Goldthorpe Exchange)
[Image: 3534871192.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2014, 09:42 PM
RE: Is the DR Network using Annex A or B?
According to my ZyXEL SBG3300 Digital Region is using VDSL Annex B.
Not sure whether the standard ZyXEL router is modified or not.

ISP: Plusnet | Router: ZyXEL SBG3300-N | Speed: 25Mbit/4Mbit | Exchange: Wadsley Bridge
Network: Netgear WNDR3700
PCs: MacPro, Hackintosh, MacBook Pro, ACER Aspire 5720
OD: AppleTV (3rd Gen), SkyHD, XBOX 360
Mobile: iPad mini, iPhone 5
13-05-2014, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2014 07:34 PM by alexatkin.)
As I recall, the guy who hacked the HG612 claimed that the Annex A firmware supports A & B. I'm guessing this applies to the Zyxel too.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-05-2014, 05:35 AM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2014 05:37 AM by rhole83.)
This is partially correct. Only profile 17a is compatible with Annex A and B. So any VDSL router Annex A or B will connect and Sync up to a 17a profile.

But, if for example if I connect an Annex A router to an Openreach 8c profile, it would not acheive a Sync. I am unsure about profile 30a... although that probably isn't a concern as Openreach 30a is probably many years away. Certainly further away than Vectoring is!

With regards to actually knowing the Annex DR uses/used in their cabinets it doesn't really matter now with it shutting down. But, since I am using the DR supplied ZyXel router on my Openreach FTTC connection (before realising it was an Annex A router) it originally got me thinking if the ZyXel is modified in some way or just standard.

Since my first post, I have found that it is indeed an Annex A router only. All firmware partitions are the same as stock firmware when unlocked and hardware is identical to diagrams. So I guess I answered my own question! haha

--

The ZyXel also is lantiq AR9 based. Basically it is the same chipset as the Openreach ECI/r Rev B modem (just Annex A only variant). Although at a faster (500MHz clock speed). So if anyone here using Openreach FTTC has an ECI cabinet then I highly recommend the ZyXel as a replacement to the supplied Openreach modem and cheap ISP £30 ADSL router combo. At least while Openreach are using the 17a profile!

Edit: Obviously it works fine with Openreach Huawei/Broadcom cabs too.

TalkTalk Business (Goldthorpe Exchange)
[Image: 3534871192.png]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)