Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Is LLU faster/better?
13-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Is LLU faster/better?
Looking forward (but not looking forwards if that makes sense) to my eventual fibre disconnection I suppose I'll have to chooses an ADSL provider. Before Origin I was with PlusNet for a long time and relatively happy with them as it's difficult to throttle a 2Mb/Sec connection Confused

So the question is, with my copper distance from the exchange limiting my speeds to 2.5Mb/Sec max, is there any benefit in going with an LLU provider such as SKY or TalkTalk rather than non-LLU like PN?

Barrie_____________________________________
Dreaming the Life rather than Living the Dream Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2014, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2014 01:54 PM by Chalky.)
RE: Is LLU faster/better?
It depends purely on the ISP that you are connecting to. If you can find an LLU provider that has a relatively uncongested network and provides their own connectivity to each of their LLU exchanges then it might be better than a WBC connection.

That being said I would have thought on a 2.5Mb/Sec line, the differences would be pretty much un-noticable. My Mum has TalkTalk LLU at home and I don't think it's very good and it appears the TalkTalk kit is playing havoc with her Sync Speeds. When I left home 14 months ago it was constantly syncing at 12Mbps down and 1.2Mbps up. When I went the other week it was being REALLY slow and it was syncing at less than 7Mbps down and 0.3Mbps up. As she herself is moving house soon I haven't bothered calling TalkTalk to get them to look at it.

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-05-2014, 02:39 PM
Thanks @chalky - 7Mb/Sec - REALLY SLOW - that's cheered me up no end . Tongue

13-05-2014, 02:50 PM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2014 02:51 PM by Chalky.)
Well it felt really slow compared to my 40/10 connection at home.... Sorry I'm just rubbing salt into the wound here aren't I Sad

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-05-2014, 03:29 PM
@chalky - *!$%*%$!*

16-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Every few kbit/s counts at speeds around the 2mbit/s mark.

Recently went from 19xxkbit/s to 13xxbit/s and its painful

Used to have 70mbit/s down before moving t' middle o' nowhere
16-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Before Origin I was with O2 LLU and use to get roughly 2.6mb down and around 0.70mb up.I could sync at just over 3mb but more often than not the line became a bit unstable.

In contrast before I was with O2 I was with BT,I was lucky to get 1.75mb down and 0.40mb up.

The other difference is LLU uses data stream so there is no IP profiling so every time you reboot the router the speed is there unlike IP profile which after a reboot you have to wait for for the profile to adjust to get the speed back..
That is roughly what I believe to happen Big Grin

A better explanation here

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsltype.htm

Phil.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)