Final plug to be pulled !
12-06-2014, 08:05 PM
Final plug to be pulled !
http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/f...-1-6669725
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2014, 09:15 PM
RE: Final plug to be pulled !
And for once the comments on the article actually make sense.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-06-2014, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2014 03:37 PM by Chalky.)
Quote:We do not have a relationship with end users. That is the responsibility of the four ISPs on the network: ASK4, Origins, Chess Telecom and Fluid Data.

I bet "Origins" are really happy that they managed to get their name wrong when they were the biggest provider on the Network. They also missed our Central Technology as one of the providers. Shows that the people at Digital Region didn't really give a crap about whether or not it succeeded when they can't even get the ISPs right.

But what they say is right, Digital Region does not have any direct relationship with end users. It's like me ringing BT OpenReach directly and expecting them to do something, it simply doesn't work like that. The article should be equally slagging off whichever ISP SMC Chartered Surveyors are using, I think we can probably guess who that is...

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

13-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Am I reading (hoping) to much into this but one phrase jumped off the page to me:-
“There’s possibly someone taking it over but I can say no more.”

Could there be someone waiting in the wings? And if there is - will they be likely to be offering services to domestic customers?

Barrie_____________________________________
Dreaming the Life rather than Living the Dream Big Grin
13-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Let the rumours begin Smile

I saw a CityFibre truck digging up the road next to a BT cab in S11 this morning.
13-06-2014, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2014 06:34 PM by alexatkin.)
I would think Ask4 would want the fibre, the problem is and has always been I believe that they cannot get at it as long as Digital Region are in business, without taking on their debt.

Everyone is waiting for the plug to be pulled so that the infrastructure is sold off as assets. Quite frankly, I don't blame them, even if it sucks for those of us who would prefer to stay on the network.

16-06-2014, 01:51 PM
The fibre will probably be bought by Geo (who were bought by Zayo recently) to expand their footprint outside of London.

Leased Lines - You know you want one! Smile
17-06-2014, 01:39 PM
@KarlAustin

My understanding is that parts of the Digital Region network are actually rented from BT and Virgin Media...I would assume any place where there's Virgin Media connectivity or Openreach fibre, the cabling is leased from them and where there's sole Digital Region presence, that's their own cabling.

I doubt it will be taken over. Yes it's wasted cabling (how much, we'll never know), but there's too many complications for a company to take this on.

.....I just wonder what if Digital Region and South Yorkshire councils had the common sense to accept BT Wholesale instead of that energy company..what could have happened.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
17-06-2014, 02:05 PM
(17-06-2014 01:39 PM)SpencerUk Wrote:  @KarlAustin

My understanding is that parts of the Digital Region network are actually rented from BT and Virgin Media...I would assume any place where there's Virgin Media connectivity or Openreach fibre, the cabling is leased from them and where there's sole Digital Region presence, that's their own cabling.

I doubt it will be taken over. Yes it's wasted cabling (how much, we'll never know), but there's too many complications for a company to take this on.

.....I just wonder what if Digital Region and South Yorkshire councils had the common sense to accept BT Wholesale instead of that energy company..what could have happened.

Speaking for SCC,their philosophy with everything that costs is they would rather spend £1 fifty times rather than spend £10 in the first instance to do the job properly...as you say @SpencerUk ,if only,if only...

Phil.
17-06-2014, 10:38 PM
(17-06-2014 01:39 PM)SpencerUk Wrote:  .....I just wonder what if Digital Region and South Yorkshire councils had the common sense to accept BT Wholesale instead of that energy company..what could have happened.

But they wouldn't even have needed to do that.

If they had actually ADVERTISED and included free connection into the minimum contract, that would probably have been enough for the network to be a success.

Thales weren't brilliant, but I don't think they had anything to do with its failure. That was purely down to leaving all promotion to the ISPs without getting a big one on board.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)