Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Final plug to be pulled !
18-06-2014, 02:38 AM
RE: Final plug to be pulled !
(17-06-2014 10:38 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  
(17-06-2014 01:39 PM)SpencerUk Wrote:  .....I just wonder what if Digital Region and South Yorkshire councils had the common sense to accept BT Wholesale instead of that energy company..what could have happened.

But they wouldn't even have needed to do that.

If they had actually ADVERTISED and included free connection into the minimum contract, that would probably have been enough for the network to be a success.

Thales weren't brilliant, but I don't think they had anything to do with its failure. That was purely down to leaving all promotion to the ISPs without getting a big one on board.

I think the energy company referred to is Bouygues who were one of the two parties interested in acquiring DR. Are Thales involved in energy?

In fairness to the councils, we don't actually know that BT were still in the game. It appears to me that Bouygues were the only interested party and then they themselves bowed out, leaving DRL in the state it was in last Summer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2014, 04:52 AM
Ah sorry, I completely misunderstood what was being discussed.

My point though still stands. If the council had any sense they wouldn't have BEEN in this mess in the first place because Digital Region would have been a success.

I think its more than likely that BT dropped out when they realised the debt they would have to take on and why bother when its likely cheaper for them to lay their own fibre and install NEW cabinets than to take on Digital Region. Just because BT were "interested" doesn't mean they ever got anywhere close to an agreement, it just meant they were wanted to know what was on offer.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-06-2014, 04:57 PM
(17-06-2014 01:39 PM)SpencerUk Wrote:  .....I just wonder what if Digital Region and South Yorkshire councils had the common sense to accept BT Wholesale instead of that energy company..what could have happened.

If they had actually ADVERTISED and included free connection into the minimum contract, that would probably have been enough for the network to be a success.

Thales weren't brilliant, but I don't think they had anything to do with its failure. That was purely down to leaving all promotion to the ISPs without getting a big one on board.

I don't have any problem with Thales so to speak. They held up their end of the bargain. They laid the cabling and managed the network...fault diagnosis could have used a little work but all in all they did what was needed.

Advertising as we have all agreed on previous has been an issue but this falls on both Digital Region as network and the ISP's who were on the network.

Digital Region

Never really made any effort publicly to go after big players such as TalkTalk, Virgin, Sky or even the likes of Entanet. They left it to ISP's who were out of depth in this department

ISPS

ASK4 didn't really want to be part of the network but did everyone a favour after the RiPWiRE failure.

LittleBigOne came and went..Their advertisement was a sign post in someones garden..

Fluidata - Wholesaler themselves

Origin - Flyers went out as well as radio adverts.

(18-06-2014 02:38 AM)WillPS Wrote:  

I think the energy company referred to is Bouygues who were one of the two parties interested in acquiring DR. Are Thales involved in energy?

In fairness to the councils, we don't actually know that BT were still in the game. It appears to me that Bouygues were the only interested party and then they themselves bowed out, leaving DRL in the state it was in last Summer.

My understanding was that out of 29 it was narrowed down to 2 or 3 preferred people.

1: ETDE SA Entreprise de Transport et de Distribution d’Electricité) the Energy and Services Division of Bouygues Construction
2: BTWholesale Managed Services

On the topic of Thales, I think they have their finger in lots of pies!.

I still think Digital Region and the councils didn't choose BT because how would it look from their standpoint..branching out from them and then having to accept help from them because they had no idea how to run the network?

(18-06-2014 04:52 AM)alexatkin Wrote:  Ah sorry, I completely misunderstood what was being discussed.

My point though still stands. If the council had any sense they wouldn't have BEEN in this mess in the first place because Digital Region would have been a success.

I think its more than likely that BT dropped out when they realised the debt they would have to take on and why bother when its likely cheaper for them to lay their own fibre and install NEW cabinets than to take on Digital Region. Just because BT were "interested" doesn't mean they ever got anywhere close to an agreement, it just meant they were wanted to know what was on offer.

We'll never know sadly..

I am very curious whatever happened to this "report" that was ordered by councillors after it was announced to close...more politician bollox eh?

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
18-06-2014, 10:53 PM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2014 10:54 PM by alexatkin.)
Alas we are never short of political bollox.

This is the same council who said applications for stalls in the new market were backed up but there has been empty stalls since day one.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)