Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
BT considering Sheffield exchange?
25-06-2014, 02:16 AM
RE: BT considering Sheffield exchange?
I'm not sure even uncapped they can advertise it as 100Mbit seeing as you only get 92Mbit real-world speed due to overheads, just as on the current 80Mbit cap you only get around 76Mbit.

For reference I am currently on an uncapped Digital Region line which sadly will be downgraded to BT soon.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Update email today:

"We had a technical problem yesterday whilst using a new email system. The issue led to a number of people receiving inaccurate information about fibre.
Please ignore any emails you have received from Openreach in the past 24 hours and accept our apologies for the confusion this might have caused.

Regards,

Openreach Marketing"
Find all posts by this user
25-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Still think BT may just buy the redundant cabling where they don't have presence and just put in their own equipment in to connect it up....that's more realistic to happen if anything.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
26-06-2014, 09:30 PM
Good job Openreach, as if the people on those exchanges weren't pissed enough already.

27-06-2014, 01:09 AM
(25-06-2014 02:05 PM)SpencerUk Wrote:  Still think BT may just buy the redundant cabling where they don't have presence and just put in their own equipment in to connect it up....that's more realistic to happen if anything.

Is there any way of knowing who owns what in terms of DR? I know some fibre was rented from BT/Ask4 - but is there any map showing what exactly?

If BT were able to simply buy the cable for the Sheffield exchange area it would be a no brainer for them, surely?
27-06-2014, 12:25 PM
(27-06-2014 01:09 AM)WillPS Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 02:05 PM)SpencerUk Wrote:  Still think BT may just buy the redundant cabling where they don't have presence and just put in their own equipment in to connect it up....that's more realistic to happen if anything.

Is there any way of knowing who owns what in terms of DR? I know some fibre was rented from BT/Ask4 - but is there any map showing what exactly?

If BT were able to simply buy the cable for the Sheffield exchange area it would be a no brainer for them, surely?

Here's my guess work..

I think there are some financial barriers, some red tape, to simply buying the ducts and cable. Time itself may remove those barriers, if so, then I think it would put BT in a strong position to wait out the closure of the network. One of the risks for such an action is the competition to BT, who also maybe waiting for the network's closure.

Without competition, BT are able to wait this time out. The communications infrastructure market seems to be moving so quickly at the moment though and competition to BT seems to be changing all the time.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the network has closed. Not long now.

Personally, I've been on a plusnet ADSL product since moving in to a digital region (i.e. no alternative FTTC/P) area just before the announcement of the network's closure. So my 12 month contract to Plusnet will be up when things start, hopefully, changing around.

I personally don't think there will be any announcements before then, there is no strong enough competition to take on the big financial barriers to beating BT to it.

End of speculation
27-06-2014, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2014 01:19 PM by Chalky.)
I still really don't know why people are assuming BT can just buy the DRL Fibre and can use it.

(18-02-2014 11:23 PM)Chalky Wrote:  Most people are asserting that BT can re-use the Fibre laid by DRL. The are in fact many different combinations of types, configurations, connectors and methods of splicing Fibre Optic cable and it could indeed be the case that DRL's Fibre Network is completely incompatible with BT's Fibre Network.

We have a 100Mbps Leased Line at work via Virgin Media. For resilience, we have a Virgin Media tail that goes to one Point of Presence and a 10Mbps BT tail (although routed via Virgin Media after getting to the BT Exchange) that goes to different Point of Presence.

I know from our BT 21CN resilient link that they use Single Mode Simplex Fibre Optic Cable (i.e a single fibre optic strand), most likely OS2. Whereas on the other hand, our primary Virgin Media connection is delivered using Single Mode Duplex (a pair of fibre optic strands) Fibre Optic Cable which appears to be OS1. OS1 and OS2 whilst similar are not neccessarily compatible, particularily over longer distances.

If the Fibre isn't compatible, it could be that by the time you've spent the time and money to arrange a deal with DRL (who are probably not willing to let it go cheap), rip all of their incompatible fibre out, rip all of the redundant DRL kit out, potentially replace the cabinet if it can't house the BTOR kit properly, get a UPS installed (as we know DRL cabinets don't have them and BT ones do) which may involve Power Companies, etc then it might be quicker or even cheaper to dig up the road and do it themselves!

There are 7 current Fibre Optic Standards and non of them are 100% interoperable. All of them have different specifications for speed, length, thickness, etc. Some Fibres can carry faster speeds over longer distances than others. As well as the different fibre standards, there are also many different connectors in use. You can also have duplex or simplex fibre.

It could be that BT offer 10Gbps to their cabinets and DRL only did 1Gbps. This would mean that depending on the Fibre used, it might mean that BT couldn't use the fibre because it's not capable of delivering 10Gbps over the lengths DRL have installed.

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

27-06-2014, 04:28 PM
I do not assume BT will use the fibre and cabinets.

I always thought the ducts were more important than the fibre optic cable. New fibre can be jetted in to the ducts.
27-06-2014, 05:29 PM
When are the DR cabinets going to be removed? Or are they? The DR DSLAM's use Annex A of the VDSL standard (unless these can be switched to Annex B) and BT wouldn't use someone elses kit thats for sure. So are pretty much useless. Are they going to become permanent fixtures as a reminder of the failure?

TalkTalk Business (Goldthorpe Exchange)
[Image: 3534871192.png]
27-06-2014, 11:52 PM (This post was last modified: 28-06-2014 12:00 AM by alexatkin.)
Not sure the Annex makes much difference as the HG612 claims my Digital Region connection is Annex B, because the specified frequencies used are the same on both.

(27-06-2014 04:28 PM)masterfunk Wrote:  I do not assume BT will use the fibre and cabinets.

I always thought the ducts were more important than the fibre optic cable. New fibre can be jetted in to the ducts.

I believe BT usually have ducts for the E-side cabling anyway, so why would they need more?

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)