Staying With Origin
02-07-2014, 07:27 PM
RE: Staying With Origin
Just spoken to origin and asked about my migration plan.

He was surprised that I had not heard from Origin as everyone has been contacted! That's funny as my brother hasn't and neither has the 2 work colleagues I referred.

He went away to find out my personal options and came back and preceded to tell me about how many exchanges they have an LLU presence at and into the low pricing of £9.99 blah blah blah. Why tell me when I can't get it!

It felt a little like 'let's have a look at what you could of had'

Now for what I can have:
£21.99 adsl only
£29.99 adsl and line rental with evening a weekends
£38 for adsl and line rental with unlimited calls

All require a new 12 month contract and no mention of connection fee or charges for equipment or delivery etc.

Expected between 4-8meg down which as per Origin is not that bad. Are you taking the piss??!! I'm on 70/20!!!!

I too have paid my line rental upfront with BT and don't really want to change.

Will have a think this week but looks likely I will leave. Was a definite yes for £9.99 but like digital region it came crashing down!

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Everyone has been contacted with their migration plan? Hmm...well, my phone hasn't rang, and I've not seen an email about it either! I suppose I will be doing my own legwork....the communication from Origin never ceases to disappoint!
02-07-2014, 08:06 PM
36 exchanges they have LLU presence, is this their multimillion pound network?

They did mention that if you do not migrate away or agree to a new contract with them that you will be connected to DR till the 14th august right to the end.

Migrating away you still have to give 30 days notice

02-07-2014, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2014 09:10 PM by john1.)
(02-07-2014 07:49 PM)spdabbs Wrote:  Everyone has been contacted with their migration plan? Hmm...well, my phone hasn't rang, and I've not seen an email about it either! I suppose I will be doing my own legwork....the communication from Origin never ceases to disappoint!

What a surprise nor has my phone rang or my inbox rattled with a fantastic offer.

Pushing their luck now

It really is a shame because in the early days communication was brilliant
02-07-2014, 09:31 PM
I was contacted by Origin earlier today and had a brief discussion about their 'offer'. My priorities are:
- maintaining a fibre connection (I am fortunate in that BT fibre is available to me)
- minimal service down time
- keeping my current landline phone number and contract with BT line saver (4 months into a 12 month contract, 12 months paid upfront and non-refundable)

In the first instance, they were trying to persuade me to switch line rental to Origin, but when I explained my position with BT the young chap dealing with me went away to consult and returned with the offer of having a new line installed and a temporary change in landline number, but he said that through "re-porting" (I think) I could return to my original number. He said the installation would be free of charge but I'm not sure about the new monthly cost as at this point I said I would need to think about what he had said. The initially suggested proposal (change of line rental) I think he said would cost £40-ish per month. Can anyone tell me if I had a new line installed and ultimately keep my old number, would I be able to keep my BT line saver contract running as I didn't get a very clear answer about this? He also mentioned ADSL as an option, but with a new line.
02-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Sounds like they are still trying to grab your line rental. I think what they are offering is a new second line, which you will pay for and then in the future port your existing number over to Origin and then cancel your BT contract. Just keep saying no to any line rental to Origin.
02-07-2014, 09:57 PM
I would be hugely wary of transferring a phone number which you would prefer to retain over to Origin for all the reasons I outlined earlier in this thread.
02-07-2014, 10:26 PM
I thought Origin confirmed months ago that you do NOT need line rental with them to get their fibre package?

Am I remembering wrong or have they just suddenly became a horribly scammy company?

I'm starting to have second thoughts about staying now.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2014, 10:38 PM
@Romburner

How can they advertise a product with no disclaimers that its subject to an enabled exchange?.

I think I may give Ofcom a ring tomorrow to see if they have any standpoint on that because it just doesn't sound right that Origin don't even bother to go list the exchanges, acknowledge there's a bug with their checker, etc...the whole ethos of this company now totally stinks.

Out of Interest, what's your price budget for just ADSL?

@john22rob

As I said with Rom above, what is your price budget..for £21.99 for a company severely lacking in just about everything now and locked in for 12 months is too much of a gamble for anyone to take.

@spdabbs @john1

If Origin are claiming everyone should have been contacted, surely there's a note on your account to state when this attempted contact would have happened?..Well, you would have thought?

@AndrewM99 , @clifft, @WillPS

Andrew, first off, downtime will be dependant on the migration you take..I think Origin are pushing you to have a new line so it reduces the downtime and also they know squat about provisioning on a BT system..which is understandable if its a £2.68 apprentice doing it!..No disrespect to them, but at that wage, I wouldn't expect anyone to take on the hassle of it!

With respect to number porting...Because you're in contract with BT for the line rental side and its paid up for a year, I don't see any reason why they can't release the number, but every ISP must say to you they cannot 100% guarantee they can bring your number because its down to BT releasing it into the exchange pool and then also the new ISP getting it before another customer does (has known to happen on the odd occasion!).

As I've said previous, the best advice I can say is get Origin to cease your broadband so the line is clear of broadband and then just place a new order..Yes it can take up to 20 working days (a month), but its the safest way to keep your number.

@alexatkin

Maybe its just me, but I've tried this in 2 browsers now and I can when I select FTTC, I can remove the line rental option with them on the order..now if they are saying the Availability checker is broke..what are the odds do you think their entire site is broke?

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
02-07-2014, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2014 11:18 PM by alexatkin.)
All their packages say "subject to availability", I wonder if that is invalidated by the checker saying you CAN get something when you cannot? I fear probably not.

Just checked their site again, seeing as there are "Broadband with Phone" and "Broadband" categories - how can they be telling people over the phone you HAVE to have line rental? The website makes it perfectly clear (more so than Zen actually) that you do not.

It should be interesting if I stay though because no way am I taking line rental with them or a new line.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)