Staying With Origin
02-07-2014, 11:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2014 11:29 PM by SpencerUk.)
RE: Staying With Origin
@Chalky

Get the "like" plugin installed..I need to "like" @alexatkin's post just now haha!

On a side note, it looks like Origin has quickly just changed their website;

Notice how it now says + line rental?..It didn't when the site went initially live for my area.....Now how is I can get to this screen?

Says 1 month Broadband only rolling and then also says 12 months...contradictory or what!..also notice the initial shot says no install fee yet there's one added on to the order!

Alex, can you replicate that at all?

FAO Oliver as I know you and your team still read our forum...

* Fix your site
* Fix your packages to customers
* Stop insisting line rental!
* Deliver on callbacks
* Deliver on customer service

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2014, 12:22 AM
I'm still waiting for them to contact me about my options too, but at this rate I'll be getting a MAC and transferring out - their customer service just isn't up to scratch in my books.
Find all posts by this user
03-07-2014, 09:49 AM
@SpencerUK I don't really have a budget but paying a £50 connection fee and £21.99/month for a 800kb-1mb connection simply isn't happening. Not when I can go to someone like Plusnet and get it for £12.49 (without changing line rental providers) or £3.49 if I did change line rental. Even if I did move line rental and lose my BT prepay it would be cheaper moving to plusnet with line renta than broadband only with Origin!

FWIW I am still getting the Origin web pages I was before. 3 tabs, BB+Phone, BB Only & Phone Only. Still no disclaimers and no indication of non enabled exchanges pricing.

As to 'installation' it seems if you don't take their line rental you get charged £25 install and if you are not on an enabled exchange then its another £25 on top of that - so £50 in total. For reference, I am on the Sheffield Woodhouse exchange which apparently is not Origin enabled.

Before:[Image: 2291607876.png]After:[Image: 3692935262.png]
03-07-2014, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 09:56 AM by john1.)
(03-07-2014 09:49 AM)Romburner Wrote:  @SpencerUK I don't really have a budget but paying a £50 connection fee and £21.99/month for a 800kb-1mb connection simply isn't happening. Not when I can go to someone like Plusnet and get it for £12.49 (without changing line rental providers) or £3.49 if I did change line rental. Even if I did move line rental and lose my BT prepay it would be cheaper moving to plusnet with line renta than broadband only with Origin!

FWIW I am still getting the Origin web pages I was before. 3 tabs, BB+Phone, BB Only & Phone Only. Still no disclaimers and no indication of non enabled exchanges pricing.

As to 'installation' it seems if you don't take their line rental you get charged £25 install and if you are not on an enabled exchange then its another £25 on top of that - so £50 in total. For reference, I am on the Sheffield Woodhouse exchange which apparently is not Origin enabled.

You probably need to clear the cache then your browser will reload the web pages with the "latest" version
03-07-2014, 10:53 AM
(02-07-2014 09:31 PM)AndrewM99 Wrote:  I was contacted by Origin earlier today and had a brief discussion about their 'offer'. My priorities are:
- maintaining a fibre connection (I am fortunate in that BT fibre is available to me)
- minimal service down time
- keeping my current landline phone number and contract with BT line saver (4 months into a 12 month contract, 12 months paid upfront and non-refundable)

In the first instance, they were trying to persuade me to switch line rental to Origin, but when I explained my position with BT the young chap dealing with me went away to consult and returned with the offer of having a new line installed and a temporary change in landline number, but he said that through "re-porting" (I think) I could return to my original number. He said the installation would be free of charge but I'm not sure about the new monthly cost as at this point I said I would need to think about what he had said. The initially suggested proposal (change of line rental) I think he said would cost £40-ish per month. Can anyone tell me if I had a new line installed and ultimately keep my old number, would I be able to keep my BT line saver contract running as I didn't get a very clear answer about this? He also mentioned ADSL as an option, but with a new line.

Thanks to everyone for their comments about this. I suppose I will need to get clarification as to whether Origin will be selling fibre broadband as a stand-alone or whether you will be obliged to switch to their phone rental. Either way, the down time in service is crucial for me (i.e. needs to be minimal) in view of various circumstances that I have to deal with. Unfortunately this precludes me from cancelling the service with Origin and setting up with someone else in view of the loss of service time involved. I have no intention of changing my landline number and really want to stick with my BT line saver contract (would lose about £100 if cancelled) but at the moment it looks like I might have to sacrifice the latter in order to minimise service loss to an acceptable level.
There was certainly no mention of having fibre broadband alone as an option when they called me.
03-07-2014, 12:06 PM
(03-07-2014 09:55 AM)john1 Wrote:  
(03-07-2014 09:49 AM)Romburner Wrote:  @SpencerUK I don't really have a budget but paying a £50 connection fee and £21.99/month for a 800kb-1mb connection simply isn't happening. Not when I can go to someone like Plusnet and get it for £12.49 (without changing line rental providers) or £3.49 if I did change line rental. Even if I did move line rental and lose my BT prepay it would be cheaper moving to plusnet with line renta than broadband only with Origin!

You probably need to clear the cache then your browser will reload the web pages with the "latest" version

No, I do know about cacheing Smile The page Spencer is showing is the 'Availability' page. the page I am looking at is the 'Packages' page - which still shows 3 tabs and all the details are the same (including the bad spelling of TOTALLY)....

03-07-2014, 12:20 PM
@Romburner

If Origin was offering best quality customer service like Andrews&Arnold on that price, then I'd say fair enough, but they are totally useless so far.

With you having a long line, this package may be suitable for you as you can tinker and get more out of it?

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2014, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 04:25 PM by clifft.)
There isn't much incentive to move away from BT for line rental and calls only, so I dare say a large proportion of Origin customers will have BT line rental. It sounds like many of us have line rental saver, so this seems like a deal breaker if Origin are insisting on taking on the line and/or charging an installation fee. Neither were mentioned in the chats I had with them.
It makes you wonder if Origin have actually got the ability to get the service changed on the existing line and are reliant on a new provision and then afterwards do a cease on the old line. No doubt we will find out soon.
03-07-2014, 04:59 PM
BTs line rental saver has gone up recently-ish - it's just under £160/year (equiv. £13.30/month) - So the incentive is a lower cost with Origin, however t's the install that's the deal killer. If combined with a few other things (or if you are willing to commit to 24 months) then it might be worth it.
03-07-2014, 05:24 PM
(03-07-2014 04:59 PM)Hippojay Wrote:  BTs line rental saver has gone up recently-ish - it's just under £160/year (equiv. £13.30/month) - So the incentive is a lower cost with Origin, however t's the install that's the deal killer. If combined with a few other things (or if you are willing to commit to 24 months) then it might be worth it.

What lower cost? Line rental is £15.99 with Origin.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)