Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
What next
19-07-2014, 12:50 PM
What next
Hi All

With the closure of the DR and with me being on the sheffield centre exchange, it looks like i will have to go back to crappy 1-2mb connection.

Before i sign up to a contract with BT, I just want to see, is there likely to be any option for us on the sheffield exchange in the near future to get good speeds? I know we are not in BT's plans.. but is there any other product / technology out there that is available / will be available in the near future?

Appreciate any advice given... Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2014, 01:13 PM
RE: What next
3 still do sim only deals with unlimited tethering for around £20 p.m. Whilst speeds and throughput will not be stable it will be a darn sight better than 1mb assuming you can get a reasonable signal in doors.
19-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Yeah thats the problem, im on 3 with tethering enabled but the signal inside my house is poor, i dont even get 3g never mind 4g

Sadlooks like im going to have accept a slow connection, hopefully one day a miracle occurs and BT decide to enable the city centre
19-07-2014, 01:27 PM
From a cost perspective and review xilo.net seem to be well rated for Regular ADSL
19-07-2014, 01:58 PM
(19-07-2014 01:13 PM)clifft Wrote:  3 still do sim only deals with unlimited tethering for around £20 p.m. Whilst speeds and throughput will not be stable it will be a darn sight better than 1mb assuming you can get a reasonable signal in doors.

Unforuntately, none of Three's new 2014 plans include unlimited tethering anymore. You can only use 2GB if you have a Phone Plan and upto 4GB for SIM-only plans.

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-07-2014, 03:02 PM
This has changed only recently. When I looked about a month ago the phone plans had changed, but not the sim plans. Obviously the Sim plans have caught up. 4 gig goes nowhere.
19-07-2014, 04:12 PM
My phone is due for renewal soon and if they're insisting on a 2GB limit then I'll have to look elsewhere. I can appreciate that the unlimited model is unsustainable but it should be 10GB at least. I don't use tethering every month, but when I do it's more than 2GB. You can't even stream one film with that. In their blog they reckon 4GB is enough to stream 44 episodes of Game of Thrones.

I don't think so. One of my HD episodes of Game of Thrones is 10GB!

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

19-07-2014, 08:45 PM
(19-07-2014 01:18 PM)ynaseem Wrote:  Yeah thats the problem, im on 3 with tethering enabled but the signal inside my house is poor, i dont even get 3g never mind 4g

Sadlooks like im going to have accept a slow connection, hopefully one day a miracle occurs and BT decide to enable the city centre

If you get a dongle you can usually attach an external antenna, might be enough to get a good signal indoors.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
20-07-2014, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2014 02:25 PM by JohnnyS.)
(19-07-2014 12:50 PM)ynaseem Wrote:  Hi All

With the closure of the DR and with me being on the sheffield centre exchange, it looks like i will have to go back to crappy 1-2mb connection.

Before i sign up to a contract with BT, I just want to see, is there likely to be any option for us on the sheffield exchange in the near future to get good speeds? I know we are not in BT's plans.. but is there any other product / technology out there that is available / will be available in the near future?

Appreciate any advice given... Thanks

I'm in a similar position (thought not quite as bad as you.) Sheffield centre exchange, but not too far from the centre. I had 8Mb ADSL2 with O2.

Though apparently I can get around 13Mb. Going from 40 to 13 is really going to annoy me, so down to 1-2 would be gutting! Having gone from 512K to 2Mb to 8Mb to 40Mb, I was expecting the next time I changed to be 80Mb or over 100Mb!

I too have thought about the Sim from 3, but as my current Android is only 3g this will mean a new phone £150 ish for a Moto G 4g + £23 a month just to be able to test what 4g speed id get.
20-07-2014, 08:10 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2014 08:11 PM by alexatkin.)
If you primarily want it for Internet then I would pick a dongle or MiFi over a phone, unless you plan to do most of your Internet use ON the phone. I always found using a phone as a MiFi to be much slower than a proper router.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)