RE: Wireless HDD
it seems to disconnect me and then changes the ip address

[Image: john22rob.png]

http://www.quidco.com/user/1417009/232503
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2014, 11:09 PM
if it constantly disconnecting you, you may have issue on line or faulty equipment

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
Find all posts by this user
20-08-2014, 03:19 PM
(19-08-2014 09:49 PM)Chalky Wrote:  It's a unnecessary throw back to the dial-up days when not everyone was connected all the time and ISPs operated in the hope that not everyone will connect and they could regularly recycle a smaller number of IPs. Fast forward to today and always on connections have scuppered this but companies haven't changed the infrastructure other than adding more DHCP ranges. They wouldn't have to change this, just extend the lease time for a much longer time.

When setting up PPP servers, I find it much easier NOT to use DHCP because less hassle to set-up and it's easier to keep track of how many IPs you have to allocate.

Some ISPs seem to run on sticky IPs, where it will just continue to re-issue the same IP for long periods. Although if that is just because the IP becomes free and then is immediately re-issued (thus goes to the same person) I'm not sure.

I notice Virgin Media seem to have really long IP allocation times as I can go weeks before my friends IP changes.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)