Radio Sheffield Interview
17-08-2014, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2014 10:06 PM by Chalky.)
Music Radio Sheffield Interview
I know quite a few of people have heard this and there's not much information contained within it, but I wanted to give those who haven't heard it, the chance to.

The interview very heavily tries to tone down the magnitude of what we now know actually happened on Friday.

First broadcast: Thursday 14 August 2014
Interview © BBC Radio Sheffield (2014). This segment is used under Fair Use Guidelines for the purpose of news reporting.

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

[Image: 1uq3DB4][Image: 1jo9ZvL]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2014, 10:04 PM
RE: Radio Sheffield Interview
Now to probably everyone's shock, this is the first time I've heard of this.

So here's my initial reaction;

* Oliver says there's no migration path from Digital Region to a BT Product?...WTF..No, no no no and NO!....MAC code can be used to go from Digital Region to ADSL services...I'm sure when he listens back on that he's going to admit he's made an boo boo there!..Very poor to touch on blame with Ofcom..they have nothing to do with it!.

* Over 600,000 audience which screams to me TalkTalk Business.

* Whilst it is true that there is only a certain amount of resource available with Openreach, he's pushing the blame onto Openreach when realistically the entire migration for consumers should have started much sooner.

* Keeps going on about installs like that this was the only solution for customers. It wasn't, far from it!..New install basically just gives them a form of income.

@Chalky, when was this interview done with Oliver?...and when did we get an MP3 plugin haha

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
17-08-2014, 10:08 PM
(17-08-2014 10:04 PM)SpencerUk Wrote:  @Chalky, when was this interview done with Oliver?...and when did we get an MP3 plugin haha

I've updated the post with the broadcast date. It was on the morning show. We got the MP3 plug-in specially for me to post that so about half an hour!

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

[Image: 1uq3DB4][Image: 1jo9ZvL]
17-08-2014, 10:09 PM
First time I've heard it, but some blatant lies there! "There's no migration from Digital Region product to Openreach product", I wonder how I got a MAC and migrated then?! There was never anything stopping Origin from migrating customers to ADSL (in advance) and then back up to fibre where it's available. Not great speedwise, but at least customers will have some sort of service rather than days of non-service.
Find all posts by this user
17-08-2014, 10:59 PM
In Olivers defence he probably meant there is no migration path directly to a comparable product, as we know this is true. However yeah, it is misleading to not mention there are other options.

As for it not being Openreach at fault, its hard to say. We do not know if they had a hand in delaying Origin getting their new network online as it does require fitting equipment in exchanges. The delay in getting that network online was clearly the reason nobody was migrated until the last minute.

I will say what I said before though, the issue isn't who was to blame for the delay as that means nothing to the customer. What DOES matter to the customer is that the delay was kept a big secret and so many were unexpectedly cut off without warning.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
17-08-2014, 11:15 PM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2014 11:16 PM by mirdragon.)
come on @alexatkin, they even state on their website that there new network was ready in spring 2014, so I can't see why Openreach would delay the process, especially if it meant income for migrations and new installs.

They could have easily started moving customers across - in fact they were advertising for people to join in Barnsley for free - if there was a comparable FTTC product available for end users they should have said ok lets start contacting these customers and migrating them across and not leave it till the last minute.

In my view Origin are to blame for the whole mess they are currently in and just trying to pass the blame on to other suppliers because they don't have the b*lls to admit they f**ked up

The following is from their own website - link here

Quote:Spring 2014:

After a lot of planning and some major graft, we’re ready to go live providing services direct from exchanges. Not a middle man in sight. This will be the key to our expanding beyond Yorkshire and showing the whole country that Yorkshire broadband is better when it’s delivered from a passionate, determined INDEPENDENT provider.

As part of our continuing expansion, we opened our new call centre on Yorkshire Way! Where else would Origin want to be as we embark on our biggest and most exciting year yet??

After spending a small fortune on new furniture, new staff and even a glass wall (?) the office is good to go, and looks bloody lovely!

Summer 2014:

It's getting warm!! Looks like we forgot to install the air con, but we're fixing that as we speak. Lots of productive meetings are happening right now as we finalise the rollout of our new network and work on migrating all of our current customers across.

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
18-08-2014, 12:20 AM
My thoughts - they have been shafted by BT... but if only Origin had been open and honest with their customers I would have had a lot more respect for them. In some way I feel sorry for Oliver but why the hell they didn't get people off DR before the plugged was pulled?

Oh and I'll overlook the stream of lies I've been fed by Origin over the pat few weeks.
18-08-2014, 12:26 AM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2014 12:46 AM by alexatkin.)
As we discussed at the time that was a very limited ADSL roll out on a few exchanges in Barnsley only, not their 44 exchange South Yorkshire service.

The new network as I understand it was an attempt at covering as many of their existing customers exchanges as possible. Its clear that fell behind, there is no other logical reason why they couldn't migrate me across when I initially asked to be done ASAP. This tweet is what suggests to me it had only just gone live on the 11th.

I find it hard to believe they deliberately held people back from migrating when they asked to be, especially when I was ringing up once or twice a week badgering them about why it hadn't been done yet.

Speaking of, has everyone seen this?
https://origin-broadband.co.uk/ournetwork

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
18-08-2014, 07:37 AM
(18-08-2014 12:26 AM)alexatkin Wrote:  As we discussed at the time that was a very limited ADSL roll out on a few exchanges in Barnsley only, not their 44 exchange South Yorkshire service.

The new network as I understand it was an attempt at covering as many of their existing customers exchanges as possible. Its clear that fell behind, there is no other logical reason why they couldn't migrate me across when I initially asked to be done ASAP. This tweet is what suggests to me it had only just gone live on the 11th.

I find it hard to believe they deliberately held people back from migrating when they asked to be, especially when I was ringing up once or twice a week badgering them about why it hadn't been done yet.

Speaking of, has everyone seen this?
https://origin-broadband.co.uk/ournetwork

That's exactly what I was doing, I stressed the point about downtime on every call and was told if I stayed with Origin there wouldn't be any.

Have now gone down the new line route and have no service until September 2nd.
18-08-2014, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2014 12:48 PM by Greg.)
I tried to put a message like this on here on Friday but never got around to it. I agree that who is at fault and what was done wrong isn't the real issue. Origin should just fess up, solve the problem and be honest. I want to stay with them, but then I read this forum and even their own forum and see that we may be fighting a losing battle. I have no internet at home where my wife runs a business. They had 12 months to set something up. As a Director of a multi-million £ company, I know they should have had a "what if" solution. If they had called me and said- "Greg- we have major problems coming- not our doing but we need to solve it- we are going to put you on an ADSL line until we know for SURE what needs to be done and how we will do it". I would have gone on the review sites just to tell everybody how bloody brilliant that had been. They have got it wrong! I worry about staying with them now because they have lied for a week now.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)