Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Migration Stories
18-08-2014, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2014 03:44 PM by clifft.)
Migration Stories
Thought I would start this one off, otherwise they tend to be added all over the place.
At the second attempt of ordering a new second line from Plusnet all has gone well. Ended up with split appointments for line and fibre. Voice engineer came at the crack of dawn on Friday. When I said it was a second line, he said it might be a problem as the second pair doesn't always go anywhere. However there was a second line here when we moved into the house some years ago and the engineer found the second pair already active, so easy job into my pre-prepared sunken backbox.
Fibre engineer turned up this morning. Set his bleeper going on the line and went up to the box to find the other end. Took a while because the allocated fibre port was dodgy so had to request a new port. Tested the line and was able to run the line at 98% of 80/20. All good.
Had to go out then, but on my return this afternoon, the first attempt at the automated router setup didn't work and it wasn't getting an IP address, so factory reset and after waiting the required 15 minutes and signing in at the setup page the authentication finally worked.
Speedtest is giving me 38/19. I've only signed up for 40/20, so it looks like everybody gets an Openreach 80/20 profile and Plusnet cap the download at 40, unless you pay the extra.
All seems to be working fine. webproxy.net does the business.
As an added bonus my £105 Quidco cashback paid over the weekend.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2014, 07:08 PM
RE: Migration Stories
Nice to hear the cashback paid in! @clifft

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2014, 08:03 PM
One thing I forgot to mention. The Openreach engineer said they are having a briefing next week about the DR cabinets. He didn't know what it was about, but a reasonable guess would be they are planning mass disconnections of the connections in the BT cabs. It would certainly save a lot of hassle for ADSL migrations.
18-08-2014, 08:11 PM
I'd agree with that assessment and it makes sense because engineers will need to be clued up as about a thousand circuits need to be reconnected fully back to BT's network

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
18-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Things to bear in mind, OR have an obligation to their other customers to switch things out.

Remember that your connection to the DRL cab has an out and in feed. If the DRL cab goes AWOL, so does every-bodies PSTN that is looped through it.

To me, if they are due a meeting, I am wondering if they are prepping for the mass cease. This could be an indicator that it's not 2-3 working days as Origin claimed, but 7 - 10 working days.

All that, before I can even place a new provide!!!?!?!?!
20-08-2014, 01:05 AM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2014 01:08 AM by alexatkin.)
I was pleasantly surprised when I woke up this afternoon to see my Zen connection in sync. It must have been done first thing this morning. I was almost CERTAIN they would forget to remove the DR tie pair or connect it back up wrong.

I guess the engineer who fixed my screwed up original migration to Origin DID record the correct location of my E side after all, although I'm more surprised Openreach actually logged his report.

I expect to see a flying pig any day now.....

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
20-08-2014, 02:21 PM
A bit of forward thinking and now I'm hoping to go live on the 22/8 with Plusnet and got £95 cash back as well.
Feel sorry for all those who could be waiting till mid September for connections despite "downtimes being kept to the minimum"
20-08-2014, 02:21 PM
I naively thought i'd be able to place a new fibre order a few days after DR shut..

Can confirm plusnet order 80/20 for everyone, then limit on their side. (There's no 40/20 product available from Openreach)

[Image: d0cbb4b8fc1cca5e3feeac3d86cc566a.png]
20-08-2014, 02:35 PM
I naively thought that when origin said the service would cease on the 14th they meant cease in the useful way too.
20-08-2014, 08:13 PM
@Origin_to_?

Whilst I've been out of the Plusnet world for a year now I believe GEA FTTC settings are

40/2
40/10
80/20

So most likely Plusnet ordered 80/20 on your line but still use their internal systems to limit your downstream rate. WP Profile if I remember correctly.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)