Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Dual-WAN on Linux
20-08-2014, 03:26 AM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2014 03:58 AM by alexatkin.)
Dual-WAN on Linux
Seeing as I'm stuck with ADSL for a while but still have access to a nearby BTWiFi-with-FON connection, I decided to try an experiment.

I had heard it was relatively easy to configure multiple WAN round-robin load balancing on Linux so gave it a try between my Zen connection and BT FON. Here are the results:

BTWiFi-with-FON:
[Image: 3700664332.png]

Zen:
[Image: 3700660734.png]

Dual-WAN:
[Image: 3700656240.png]

I'd say that was pretty much a success. Very tempted to try and get a connection on the other BTWiFi-with-FON connections too and try triple or quad WAN, but their signals are much more flaky.

For anyone who is curious, the configuration I used is below:
/etc/iproute2/rt_tables
Quote:#
# reserved values
#
255 local
254 main
253 default
0 unspec
#
# local
#
1 Zen
2 FON
dualwan.sh (run to activate the configuration)
Quote:#!/bin/bash
ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.0.15
ip route add 192.168.1.0/24 dev eth0 src 192.168.1.15 table Zen
ip route add default via 192.168.1.254 table Zen
ip route add 192.168.0.0/24 dev eth0:0 src 192.168.0.15 table FON
ip route add default via 192.168.0.254 table FON
ip rule add from 192.168.1.15 table Zen
ip rule add from 192.168.0.15 table FON
ip route add default scope global nexthop via 192.168.1.254 dev eth0 weight 1 nexthop via 192.168.0.254 dev eth0:0 weight 1

I could also implement this directly on my router but I'd rather keep it for specific clients for now to avoid messing up things like PSN. I do not believe it would speed up downloads there anyway as neither PSN nor Xbox Live support multi-threaded downloads that I am aware of.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2014, 09:31 AM
RE: Dual-WAN on Linux
I'm a little, actually very confused by what you have acheived.

What you has set is a load balanced connection, not a bonded one. So the download speeds do not add up in my opinion.

Upload understandable, provided both providers will allow you to spoof the source address (I am confused the BT/Fon support this, but could understand Zen doing so), they just act as a relay.

You should be questioning why the download has gained a higher speed using dual-WAN, than the highest burst to acheive on any single link.
Find all posts by this user
20-08-2014, 11:47 AM
speedtest.net uses multiple threads hence why his download speeds improved, I use a program called dispatch connectify to do this on my pc (other pc/devices in the house dont need it), I used to use it to combine a BT infinity and a sky fibre connection (hence the speedtest in my sig) now i use it to combine my infinity and my 4g phone as no longer have sky. For a free program it dose very well and just loads at windows startup, works with usenet/torrents and thanks to using free download manager even works on standard HTTP as the download manager created 10 virtual connections.

I did do a test once with both the VDSLs a BT fon and my phone but the HDD in my pc bottlenecked it lol

Pc its bad when the BT fon is faster than your normal connection isnt it lol

Ash

[Image: 4173472130.png][Image: 8115047.png]
20-08-2014, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2014 03:15 PM by alexatkin.)
Sorry, I should have explained exactly what I was trying to achieve.

The only drag is that my Usenet provider only allows a single IP address so I would have to get a second account and add a rule to lock each account to a specific connection to get a speed improvement out of it.

Its still very useful for general web browsing though as loading the different media on the page is split between both connections.

Glad to see the answer about your speed test too, its been bothering me for months and I kept forgetting to ask what the deal was.

Well its not TOO bad that BT FON is faster as there is nothing to stop me using it, especially if I need to upload something. It is kinda bizarre though that you can be sharing FON on your own connection while connected to a FON with a FASTER connection. But its not like there would be any practical way to limit your speed to exactly what you are sharing when you have selected uncapped sharing speed. I believe if you are a BT customer FON is ALWAYS capped because they do not offer the unlimited option.

I do feel a little guilty as my Fonera is old and crappy, it barely handles 1Mbit. Then again I have never seen anyone use it except me, as I use it as a free VPN to test connectivity from outside my ISP, every once in a while.

20-08-2014, 09:38 PM
(20-08-2014 02:48 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  Sorry, I should have explained exactly what I was trying to achieve.

The only drag is that my Usenet provider only allows a single IP address so I would have to get a second account and add a rule to lock each account to a specific connection to get a speed improvement out of it.

Its still very useful for general web browsing though as loading the different media on the page is split between both connections.

Glad to see the answer about your speed test too, its been bothering me for months and I kept forgetting to ask what the deal was.

Well its not TOO bad that BT FON is faster as there is nothing to stop me using it, especially if I need to upload something. It is kinda bizarre though that you can be sharing FON on your own connection while connected to a FON with a FASTER connection. But its not like there would be any practical way to limit your speed to exactly what you are sharing when you have selected uncapped sharing speed. I believe if you are a BT customer FON is ALWAYS capped because they do not offer the unlimited option.

I do feel a little guilty as my Fonera is old and crappy, it barely handles 1Mbit. Then again I have never seen anyone use it except me, as I use it as a free VPN to test connectivity from outside my ISP, every once in a while.

yea TBF i need to change it as i say i no longer have the sky half lol,

i remember when bt fon used to be limited to 512k even on infinity so you would get 512 down then like upto 20 up was odd as hell then one day it seamed to be upped to around 4meg even for ADSL, so these days its a lot more usable, my friend often uses my details though personally i hardly touch them even though i have access via BT and via lafonera lol , if i need wifi anywhere else i tether my phone

Ash

24-02-2015, 07:49 PM
hey m8 did you ever get around to testing this with a few more fons

Ash

28-02-2015, 04:44 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2015 04:46 AM by alexatkin.)
I was barely able to get a stable signal from just one, its gotten gradually worse since as more APs are showing up in the area.

I believe FON have now reduced the connection limit to just one, so I won't be able to try anyway.

28-02-2015, 07:22 PM
ahh yea maybe at least you are getting one decent one though which helps you out, where i live there are about 14 of the things and none of them ever work apart from about 2 one maxes out at about 14k the other is not bad at about 2 meg both adsl based from bit looks of the upload, Not that its a big problem for me with having 2 internet's doubt both are gunna go down at same time but its kinda frustrating the amount that show up (with a strong signal) to the amount that are usable lol

Ash

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)