Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Signed up with Zen
26-08-2014, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2014 05:14 PM by GrassHopper.)
RE: Signed up with Zen
Update with Zen: Got a call back from them just now stating Openreach cannot remove the Origin tag, it will have to be done as a migration/new line and this applies to everyone. Don't know the exact reason but we will have to go to copper ADSL first which takes 5 working days, then to FTTC which is another 10 days.
Otherwise they would set up a new line which gets rid of my existing phone number, and I don't want that since i've had this number for 20 years now.

I needed my MAC code too, so it wasn't useless afterall Spencer. Guess you will be contacted shortly baz to be informed the same, there is no activation fee either, bit guttered can't go straight to fibre but atleast I get broadband sooner.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2014, 04:49 PM
same here with me,

Just been told that Zen can't remove the tag on the line...

Origin cant supply my mac code so it looks like its a new line install cost plus adsl activation... as fibre is not at my cab any more!!!

Is there any way I can pass these costs back to origin as its their issue by not supplying my mac code.
26-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Yes I'm in the same situation, either:

1. get a MAC code from Origin
2. install a new line

1 is unlikely, 2 inconvenient

I assume if Origin were to remove the tag from the line then we could just go ahead without this fandango?
26-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Yeh I believe so, it's all on Origin in either supplying your MAC code to migrate which stands at 0.1% right now, or for them to remove the tags which they don't seem to be interested in doing anytime soon.

Guess I was lucky in getting my MAC code :/
26-08-2014, 05:16 PM
I don't know much about it but can't Zen "slam" the line as has been discussed on other threads? No doubt one of the knowledgeable lads will be along soon and give you a proper reply
26-08-2014, 05:24 PM
@john1 been told by Zen they can't do a slam.. not sure why
26-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Plusnet have just told me the same, that "as far as we are aware" the tags will not be removed and it's either a mac or a new line.

I find it hard to believe that openreach "cannot remove" the tags. As far as I know they are simply administrative, not technical issues and, I assume, that the tag register is owned by openreach anyway.

I'm going to hold out until the 2nd and see if my change order goes through. If not I might tray and stop and start method on my phone line.
26-08-2014, 08:01 PM
The Tag owner is DRL and yes, Openreach manage the list.

As a result of this, you cannot simply ask for Openreach is lift the tag. Either Digital Region Ltd need to request this (by proxy of Origin), or you have to get it lifted some other way.

The Tags On The Line process is intended for use when a user has been ceased, but some records issue remains that prevents an order being placed.

i.e. if DRL have not submitted ceases, it's not a records problem, but a problem that ceases have not actually been placed.

A stop/start process on your phone line may work. As if no phone service exists, no other service can exist and this will be ceased by default. If after 5 working days following the stop/start the line is not free to order on, only then can the Tags process be used.

Remember, the service is between DRL and BT Openreach, not you and Openreach, so you cannot give consent to Openreach to cease it, only DRL can.

As for passing costs on.

First, you have to have given Origin clear instructions of your intent and your request. I suspect by now you have already cancelled?

Don't assume that by losing your service, cancellation is a forgone conclusion. Origin may be in breach of their own contract, but that does not exclude you from honouring much of the contract. Just go through the motions and they can't counter claim.

Next, now you know that the Tags process cannot be used (as it currently stands), you need to set an ultimatum to Origin.

You need to instruct them that as you have cancelled, you consider the fact they have not completed a cease as holding your service to ransom.

Do not listen to their claims that they have ordered it and that it has not been actioned. Remind them that your contract is between yourself and Origin, any contractual dispute between Origin and their supplier is not a matter for you. Also ask them, given that they are aware their supplier has not actioned the cease, what actions have they taken to ensure they complete the cease in light of their suppliers failure.

I would then set a deadline.

The nature of a SLU service means it is believed a cease order can take upto 10 working days. Given this, advise them they have 11 working days in which to complete the cease, otherwise you will take the only other permissible action, which is to order a new line and pass on the costs.

What Origin cannot do in 10 working days is simply sit on their hands. A cease is entirely possible and for them to fail on this within that period is wilfully withholding service.

At that time, you would be free to order service and pay for it, then recharge it to Origin on completion.

I strongly recommend you advise Origin during any conversation you wish to register a formal complaint under Ofcoms complaints guidelines. This is an important step as from that time they have 8 weeks to resolve the position, otherwise you may take this to ADR (Alternate Dispute Resolution). However, delaying a formal complaint means you have to wait longer to reach a ADR compatible status.

Warning: Origin have claimed that complaints need to be put in writing. I do actually strongly recommend you do, however should you chose to voice your complaint over the phone, you are legally entitled to and Ofcom rules back this up.

Ofcom require under General Condition 14 that companies provide a formal Code Of Practice. Annex 4 details that it must be easy to access, timeframes for investigating the complaint, and provide at least two means to access the complaints procedure.

Origin details theirs on https://origin-broadband.co.uk/template/complaints.html

Note this page is poorly formatted and you can see it in its proper glory by doing the following.

Visit
https://origin-broadband.co.uk/

At the base select Code Of Practice. Towards the base of the popup, select Complaints.

It very clearly details you may phone your complaint in and to quote "This is the best way for you to complain".
26-08-2014, 08:15 PM
This is now getting a bit ridiculous

Not only were we cut off without warning, but we cannot get a new service because of this bureaucratic bungling

I can't help but feel that BT / Openreach (or whoever) are being deliberately obstructive here - they own and maintain this database
26-08-2014, 08:31 PM
Yes they do. However Openreach are governed by Ofcom rules.

There is a very clear line in the sand on where Openreach boundaries exist.

Your existing supply had the following chain of people.

You Origin DRL Openreach

You hold no direct agreement with Openreach. You wouldn't like it if Openreach simply switched your service to Plusnet without you or Origin for than matter, ever asking.

Whilst it seems absolutely unfair and I absolutely feel for you as your options as restricted, why should you have greater power to ask Openreach to do something when Openreach don't have equal power themselves.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)