Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Councils close to signing "Superfast Broadband" contract with BT
18-12-2014, 12:22 PM
RE: Councils close to signing "Superfast Broadband" contract with BT
Got a reply to my email regarding possibility of getting Sheffield city centre upgraded as part of BDUK:

"The restrictions around the use of public funding are governed by the European Commission's state aid law and this is the reason that Sheffield City centre is unable to be part of the Broadband Delivery UK funded project of Superfast South Yorkshire. However, strategies are being developed to ensure the City Centre isn’t left behind and its businesses and residents are able to benefit from improved broadband."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Just had this pre Christmas email from Clive Betts MP.

Quote:Dear Mr xxxxxxxxxx

Further to our previous correspondence with regards to the Attercliffe Exchange and Fibre Broadband, I am jut contacting you with a short update.

Although BT still have no imminent plans to upgrade the Attercliffe Exchange, it now looks as though work will being on upgrading the exchange next year following a Government grant to BT and Sheffield City Council to expand the fibre network in the City. However, the timeframe for carrying out the work and the network expansion going live is the middle of next year until the beginning of 2017.

I don’t have much more information than this at the moment, but I will keep you updated with any further news. I understand that this doesn’t provide any immediate resolution to the problem, but please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions on this or any other issue.

Regards

Clive Betts MP

Phil.
06-01-2015, 08:46 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2015 11:18 AM by Paddy.)
Things are looking up then for the Attercliffe exchange! Hopefully this is the year we can finally get fibre broadband and not have to wait until 2017!
06-01-2015, 10:13 AM
Fingers, toes and everything crossed Wink

Barrie_____________________________________
Dreaming the Life rather than Living the Dream Big Grin
06-01-2015, 09:35 PM
I think we have got a long, long wait.. there's still nothing been produced to show how the people outside of the city centre "black hole" but connected to the Sheffield exchange will be dealt with.

Maybe once January is out i'll do some more chasing! Smile
07-01-2015, 10:31 AM
Interestingly the BDUK Progress Map shows the following information:-

Quote:South Yorkshire
Project name: South Yorkshire
Allocated Phase 1: N/a
Allocated Phase 2: £8,000,000
Local project website: http://sheffieldcityregion.org.uk/syproj...broadband/

They appear to have allocated £8m to Phase 2, but as yet, no figures for Phase 1?

07-01-2015, 05:49 PM
(07-01-2015 10:31 AM)essenby Wrote:  Interestingly the BDUK Progress Map shows the following information:-

Quote:South Yorkshire
Project name: South Yorkshire
Allocated Phase 1: N/a
Allocated Phase 2: £8,000,000
Local project website: http://sheffieldcityregion.org.uk/syproj...broadband/

They appear to have allocated £8m to Phase 2, but as yet, no figures for Phase 1?

Interesting, quite a high figure that ! Only really dwarfed by the proper rural projects (Norfolk, Dorset etc.)

I've emailed the Sheffield City Region people to ask for more information on the rollout, as I would have thought surveys and planning should have started by now.

Also asking for information on how the Sheffield exchange will be upgraded for the BDUK rollout, my assumption is the upgrade will happen but they will only install fibre cabs outside the exclusion zone..
08-01-2015, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2015 10:52 AM by essenby.)
Don't hold your breath. I emailed Natalie Ward at the address suggested in the Sheffield City Region page (linked to above), but not had any response yet.

14-01-2015, 11:06 AM
(07-01-2015 05:49 PM)gribz_uk Wrote:  Also asking for information on how the Sheffield exchange will be upgraded for the BDUK rollout, my assumption is the upgrade will happen but they will only install fibre cabs outside the exclusion zone..

The reply that I had (posted above previously) said that Sheffield exchange wouldn't be upgraded as part of BDUK.
14-01-2015, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2015 12:36 PM by essenby.)
Actually it states that:-
Quote: . . . Sheffield City centre is unable to be part of the Broadband Delivery UK funded project . . .
and makes no mention of the Sheffield exchange.

The exchange serves customers who are outside of the city centre exclusion zone, hence the confusion over the upgrade. It would be possible to upgrade the exchange to serve those specific cabinets whilst still complying with the European Commission's state-aid regulations.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)