Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Councils close to signing "Superfast Broadband" contract with BT
16-01-2015, 02:01 PM
RE: Councils close to signing "Superfast Broadband" contract with BT
Finally had a reply from "SuperFast South Yorkshire" as follows:-
Quote:The Superfast South Yorkshire programme is separate from any commercial activity and exists to plug the gap where the commercial market either has not or does not intent to invest in superfast broadband, we are keen to ensure that no one gets left behind digitally. The programme funding will be used to make areas currently deemed as not commercially viable, commercially viable.

Currently there is much activity across South Yorkshire to survey the areas and firm up the detailed roll out plans for the programme, we expect to achieve superfast speeds for over 97% of businesses and residents (includes commercial roll out). As soon as practically possible a postcode checker will be available to check coverage.

The Superfast South Yorkshire Programme will commence activity late 2015 and will be fully completed by the end of 2017.

Please sign up for the newsletter and take our surveys to share your broadband experience www.superfastsouthyorkshire.co.uk

Lots of words, and lots of figures, but no "real" information other than the program is already behind schedule as roll out was initially expected this Summer! (new website though!)

Barrie_____________________________________
Dreaming the Life rather than Living the Dream Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2015, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2015 08:55 PM by gribz_uk.)
I had a reply from David Oliver at the council, bit different to your reply essenby, but same link;

Quote:The project is progressing well and the best way of keeping up to date is now through the website which is starting to be developed.

http://www.superfastsouthyorkshire.co.uk/

There isn’t much on their yet, but please do register your interest and complete the residents questionnaire, and if you could encourage others to do the same that would be helpful.

The project is still in mobilisation stage, so it is still early days but a lot is happening behind the scenes, e.g. the project manager and contract manager for the SY project team have been recruited, BT have now appointed to their project team, the communications plan is being developed, the website is being developed, BT are doing some further survey work … and all this takes time to get sorted as you can imagine.

We will start to communicate more very soon and we are hoping to have enough information to prodce an online postcode checker around April time which will indicate where and when superfast broadband will be available to those currently without access.

The national BDUK does not seem to be up to date with progress in SY so thanks for drawing that to my attention and I ask the project team to raise it with BDUK.

We are working up the strategy for the city centre in parallel to the SY programme and hope to be able to share our plans for that around April time too.

Many Thanks,

David Oliver
Solutions Architect
Business Change and Information Solutions (BCIS)
Resources Portfolio, Sheffield City Council
22-01-2015, 04:07 PM
I've just received confirmation that properties outside the city centre boundary but served by Sheffield exchange will be included in the BDUK rollout.

I'll post the full email when I get home.
22-01-2015, 05:07 PM
(22-01-2015 04:07 PM)gribz_uk Wrote:  I've just received confirmation that properties outside the city centre boundary but served by Sheffield exchange will be included in the BDUK rollout.

I'll post the full email when I get home.

Ah, that's brilliant news. So, what's the timeline?
22-01-2015, 05:19 PM
Good news. Hopefully the Attercliffe exchange is included in these plans!
22-01-2015, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2015 06:34 PM by gribz_uk.)
Here is the email.. They say cabinets but I assume they mean cabinets outside the boundary but connected to Sheffield exchange.

I've sent another email to get clarity.

Quote:The Superfast South Yorkshire programme is separate from any commercial activity and exists to plug the gap where the commercial market either has not or does not intent to invest in superfast broadband, we are keen to ensure that no one gets left behind digitally. The programme funding will be used to make areas currently deemed as not commercially viable, commercially viable.

Currently there is much activity across South Yorkshire to survey the areas and firm up the detailed roll out plans for the programme, we expect to achieve superfast speeds for over 97% of businesses and residents (includes commercial roll out). I am pleased to advise that premises outside of the City Centre but served by a cabinet inside the city boundary will be included in the programme. As soon as practically possible a postcode checker will be available to check coverage.

The Superfast South Yorkshire Programme will commence activity late 2015 and will be fully completed by the end of 2017.

Please sign up for the newsletter and take our surveys to share your broadband experience http://www.superfastsouthyorkshire.co.uk

Many thanks for your enquiry

Superfast South Yorkshire
26-01-2015, 05:27 PM
A little bit more clarity for those interested;

Quote:To clarify – all premises within our intervention area post codes are eligible regardless of where the infrastructure lies.

Many thanks
26-01-2015, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2015 05:30 PM by Paddy.)
Thanks for these updates. Looking forward to the postcode checker going online on their website.
26-01-2015, 05:46 PM
(26-01-2015 05:27 PM)gribz_uk Wrote:  A little bit more clarity for those interested;

Quote:To clarify – all premises within our intervention area post codes are eligible regardless of where the infrastructure lies.

Many thanks

As you say - a "little" more clarity. But until they deign to advise us what comprises their "intervention area post codes" we're still very much in the dark Sad

Barrie_____________________________________
Dreaming the Life rather than Living the Dream Big Grin
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)