Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Openreach Mk2 Socket Query
26-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Question Openreach Mk2 Socket Query
Here is another query about my recent fibre installation...

My BT master socket is in my hallway but I've never had my fibre modem/router connected to it because there isn't a power socket in the near vicinity. Instead, I've got a phone socket in another room that is connected to the master socket via a thin cable running under the carpet. I've done tests in the past and there doesn't appear to be any loss of Internet speed when my kit is using this extension socket.

I told the engineer this over the phone and he has fitted the Openreach Mk2 faceplate to the non-master socket. He's also removed the ADSL filter from the master socket where I have a basic telephone located.
I've just noticed that now, when the telephone is answered, my Internet connection drops! I put another ADSL filter on the master socket and it seems to have fixed this problem.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about this please? Has the engineer screwed up?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2014, 09:00 PM
RE: Openreach Mk2 Socket Query
yes the engineer has messed up - he should have replaced the faceplate on master socket or moved master socket for you

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
27-08-2014, 07:44 AM
Kelly Communications engineer by any chance?

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2014, 04:50 PM
As others have said he screwed-up, but as you have found, using an ADSL filter has cured the problem. If it works satisfactorily then you may as well leave it as it is. Others have said that for 40/10, BT are allowing self-install for Infinity, which basically means plug the Home Hub 5 into any old filter in any socket. If however you're not getting the sync speed you hoped for then call them back.
27-08-2014, 06:27 PM
You're right Chalky, it was indeed a Kelly Communications engineer. Are they a bit shoddy?

Thanks for the other information. I've not seen a MK2 faceplate before and was unsure if it had a special purpose. I'll do some testing via the master socket and see if performance is affected.

Much appreciated again!
27-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Kelly Communications are the devil...nuff said!.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)