Oliver speaks exclusively to the Star
28-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Oliver speaks exclusively to the Star
Several new stories here: http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2014, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2014 04:32 PM by WillPS.)
RE: Oliver speaks exclusively to the Star
http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/n...-1-6810444
Quote:he insisted the number who lost connection was only in the “low hundreds”

Bullshit.

Don't apologise if you're still going to lie so blatantly.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/d...-1-6810440

Quote:And the Facebook page - where scores had vented their frustrations - was wiped and frozen to prevent people thinking it was a way to reach the helpdesk, according to operations director Peter Lowes.

Oliver Bryssau added: “We definitely didn’t censor anyone, we just don’t have the resources for social media. By removing comments we hoped people would contact us by the official channels where they would get an answer. I don’t have time for social media myself and the policy did not come from me. I’m sure the Facebook page will come back in time. We are one of the few companies that allow people to comment freely.
If that's the case, why not post to that effect? Bullshit again.

Quote:Eight months of negotiations with BT Openreach broke down five days before the closure of Digital Region, according to Oliver Bryssau.

The ‘monolithic’ organisation struggled to cope with ‘unique’ technology from 2008 and “changed its mind numerous times.”

With five days to go it asked for £348 to transfer each user, he added.
Why *the fuck* were you still discussing it 5 days before the drop dead date?!!?!

Surely a deadline of May or June should have been set at which point you'd walk away from the deal and get on with the task manually. #youngbusinessmanoftheyear
28-08-2014, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2014 05:04 PM by hornetman.)
The thing is-if he keeps telling people this, eventually they will start to believe it, same goes in his mind, he'll start to believe what he says is the truth.

How do you read the full article or is that what the link sends you to?
28-08-2014, 06:16 PM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2014 06:20 PM by alexatkin.)
Quote:“We could have spent the last two weeks issuing statements but there’s nothing we could say that would help - people just want to get back online.”

Erm no, statements make a HUGE difference to everyone involved, it shows you are still making an effort to reconnect people.

I would never have moved to Zen if Origin had made an effort to reassure me things were actually progressing, but support just kept telling me the same lines over and over which became obvious it was a script rather than an actual indication of something happening.

When people are posting on Sheffield Forum thinking Origin had gone bankrupt it should be bloody obvious you need to make an official statement and apologise for what happened.

And why does the bloody stupid POS Star website not work if I try and login with Facebook? "Facebook did not provide an e-mail address", yes because you didn't bloody request it you idiotic site.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-08-2014, 06:29 PM
To be honest, the message here is certainly reflective of the situation I find myself in.

To be honest, I actually accept what they are saying, though some of them I am not sure stands up to the evideance (ignoring conjecture).

Quote:Oliver Bryssau added: “We definitely didn’t censor anyone, we just don’t have the resources for social media. By removing comments we hoped people would contact us by the official channels where they would get an answer. I don’t have time for social media myself and the policy did not come from me. I’m sure the Facebook page will come back in time. We are one of the few companies that allow people to comment freely.

Fair enough.

But you were most certainly deleting comments. Pure, simple, undeniable and unexcusable.

Blocking people is a slightly different story, but the theme of censorship is clear as day happening.

Low hundreds of people having issues. 5 people are (Were) with Origin in my office, 5 had problems. I have had stories out of the office as well.

Statistically, it's possible for this to happen, however I am yet to hear a story to say they didn't have issues.

So the thoery that people on forums are only there to gripe and not praise, doesn't stack up outside the forum
28-08-2014, 06:37 PM
2nd week of September for everyone. We've got a date of the 14th then, and if it can't be met for their entire customer base then they'll have failed. I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt - I don't know why, but when it comes down to either losing the number you've had for 22 years, or dealing with moderate to bad 3G for a few weeks until something is concrete, there's not much choice.
28-08-2014, 07:17 PM
First off thanks to @TheStarBiz for conducting an interview with Oliver.

When I first saw a tweet basically saying Oliver was sorry, I thought fair enough, he's manned up finally, that's all people really want and to get reconnected...Then I read the article(s);

Quote:...But a bullish Mr Bryssau revealed that although 150 had cancelled....,

To date..but that's another thing entirely.

Now onto the Deleting Posts Not Censorship

Google's definition of censorship;

Code:
Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication or other information which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by governments, media outlets, authorities or other such entities.

Link to definition

So can someone tell me how deleting upwards of 150 comments in one status post alone isn't censorship?

Quote:Oliver Bryssau added: “We definitely didn’t censor anyone, we just don’t have the resources for social media.

So they ignore every request on Twitter but respond to a sales query...must have enough resources for that eh!.

Quote: We are one of the few companies that allow people to comment freely.

I don't know of any company that mass censors upwards of 300 comment in one issue that affects their core customers!.

Quote:“We could have spent the last two weeks issuing statements but there’s nothing we could say that would help - people just want to get back online.”

I agree with @alexatkin here. Communications company is supposed to be decent at communicating..that wasn't present!.

Quote:Pete Lowes said they were planning to pay for public relations support.

He added: “We acknowledge we have some learning to do to play this PR game.”

They insisted Origin’s policy of not censoring the internet was unaffected - some ISPs restrict downloads and block access to some sites.

Aye, alreyt!.

"Origin is on “a secure footing and ready to go forward,”

Someone must be bankrolling them because there's no way they are turning a profit in my eyes!...Companies house records next year will be interesting I bet.

Quote:Eight months of negotiations with BT Openreach broke down five days before the closure of Digital Region, according to Oliver Bryssau.

The ‘monolithic’ organisation struggled to cope with ‘unique’ technology from 2008 and “changed its mind numerous times.”

With five days to go it asked for £348 to transfer each user, he added.

Definition of "monolithic"

I have to agree with @WillPS;

Thats utter toss business practice for starters and I'd love to see the cost proof of where this figure comes from too.

Is Oliver honestly telling us that for 8 months they never asked the price to begin with?

That's like myself ordering a VW Golf GT with all the bells and whistles on and then borking when its built to spec and expecting payment...Oliver must have been aware of some form of cost..He's surely not that...erm...ill educated!.

I don't think Openreach struggled at all to cope with the technology..It's still in some sense their product surely?

--

Whilst I appreciate we finally have an apology, its 2 weeks after the shutdown and the response to what is censorship is utterly embarrassing.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
29-08-2014, 08:48 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2014 10:47 AM by essenby.)
@SpencerUK - Credit where it's due though. His use of the word monolithic was spot on:-

(when referring to an organization or system) large, powerful, indivisible, and slow to change:

Barrie_____________________________________
Dreaming the Life rather than Living the Dream Big Grin
29-08-2014, 04:23 PM
What load of Bullocks that man has said.The comments about Facebook posts being removed to encourage people to contact their help desk is the most pathetic excuse I have ever heard.Tongue

What it actually was is Origins way of suppressing any comments that were complaining about being left without any internet.

Phil.
29-08-2014, 10:18 PM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2014 10:24 PM by Chalky.)
Quote:But it wasn’t possible to transfer everyone in time. Many were not cut off, including Doncaster Racecourse, Sheffield NHS and schools, Barnsley Council depots and secondary schools, Oliver said. But businesses on residential contracts had been badly hit by disconnection - prompting some to demand compensation.

AHEM:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=318]

(29-08-2014 04:23 PM)Ray_Von Wrote:  What load of Bullocks that man has said.The comments about Facebook posts being removed to encourage people to contact their help desk is the most pathetic excuse I have ever heard.Tongue

What it actually was is Origins way of suppressing any comments that were complaining about being left without any internet.

It'd be a valid thing to say if you could actually get through to their Help Desk in the first place!

Quote:We definitely didn’t censor anyone, we just don’t have the resources for social media. By removing comments we hoped people would contact us by the official channels where they would get an answer.

a) They won't get an answer if they can't get through
b) Facebook has been their only official channel for a hell of a long time in my opinion! It certainly hasn't been their own website!

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

[Image: 1uq3DB4][Image: 1jo9ZvL]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)