Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Finally connected!
29-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Finally connected!
At last!

Engineer arrived - connected the cabinet - dropped off a modem and it's all working now!

I could have sworn I saw a pig flying! Blush
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2014, 05:16 PM
RE: Finally connected!
(29-09-2014 04:52 PM)bishbosh Wrote:  At last!

Engineer arrived - connected the cabinet - dropped off a modem and it's all working now!

I could have sworn I saw a pig flying! Blush

Same! I didn't expect them to show up and I expected it to work even less but here I am, online again. Rah!
29-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Speedtest below Smile

29-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Shouldn't this be in the "other ISPs" forum as its not exactly relevant to Origin now.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-09-2014, 10:12 PM
@bishbosh

Good to see. Is that similar/worse/better than what you had previous?

@alexatkin

Agreed and moved.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
30-09-2014, 09:29 AM
On the DR network I was getting around 33-35Mbps down and about 8Mbps up, so much better than before SmileAlthough that was a 40/10 product whereas I'm now on an 80/20 package.

I'm startled that I am also getting my estimated speed too! I thought it would be at least a few Mbps slower than the 57Mbps that BT estimated for my line, as you can see I'm only a whisker shy of that! Quite a pleasant surprise!

Had a chat with the Openreach engineer yesterday about the whole DR fiasco - some days he was just doing tag removals - about 30 a day, driving round to various cabinets and cutting wires. He also said they had 5 weeks to remove them, then the bosses said they had to be done within 3 weeks. That's in line with my experience, but I don't know how well others have fared. Zen were very proactive and contacted him twice yesterday to make sure he would attend my house (after 2 no-shows) last week.

30-09-2014, 05:12 PM
(29-09-2014 04:52 PM)bishbosh Wrote:  Engineer arrived - connected the cabinet - dropped off a modem and it's all working now!
When you mention dropped off a modem, do you mean just that? I thought the Openreach modems are supposed to be wall mounted as standard to help with heat dissipation.
30-09-2014, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2014 06:44 PM by mirdragon.)
(30-09-2014 05:12 PM)aam Wrote:  I thought the Openreach modems are supposed to be wall mounted as standard to help with heat dissipation.

Nope - earlier units were wall mounted due to heat issues, but they don't have to be.

If people put them in a suitable flat location with breathing space and don't block vents there should be no issue

I've had mine in the same place on a unit for nearly 3 years without problems

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
30-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Thanks. So it must have changed at some point when new versions of the Openreach modems were released.
30-09-2014, 09:32 PM
Its worth noting, my Kelly Communications engineer did offer to wall mount my modem but I told him not to bother as I would be swapping it for a HG612. Wink

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)