Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
New bt infinity install
01-10-2014, 02:14 PM
New bt infinity install
At work at the moment and the openreach guy is installing infinity back at home.

When I had origin installed the openreach guy installed an phone extension right to my pc and I had the router connected there.

The guy has just phone and apparently this infinity doesn't work like this and he's got to run a cat 5 cable to the home hub from the master socket.

Any ideas as to what he's done?? As I thought every thing was the same as the origin connection just a router change?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2014, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 04:55 PM by Origin_to_?.)
RE: New bt infinity install
The modem should be as close to the phone line as possible, with the extension been ethernet/cat5e/6.

Whoever ran the phone extension (if from openreach or a contractor) probably should have known better.

[Image: d0cbb4b8fc1cca5e3feeac3d86cc566a.png]
01-10-2014, 04:58 PM
But it worked perfect for origin on digital region, surely it's exactly the same
01-10-2014, 05:04 PM
It just worsens the quality of the line, lowering your max potential sync rate.

[Image: d0cbb4b8fc1cca5e3feeac3d86cc566a.png]
01-10-2014, 06:34 PM
well decided to leave it at the master socket for now.

The bad news is the connections dropped twice now Sad
01-10-2014, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 07:05 PM by aam.)
It could have been left as it was, but for an installed FTTC option like BT Infinity it is normal to have a VDSL SSFP (service specific face plate) added to the NTE5 Master Socket and connect either an Openreach modem + router or newer combined modem router like the Home Hub 5 to the upper part of the SSFP. Any other telephone extensions are also usually connected to the filtered bottom half of the SSFP so the extensions continue to work.

Having a data extension kit fitted is also an option offered. I guess you've had a cable run from inside the VDSL SSFP at the master socket straight to a data socket at a second location so the Home Hub can be located there.

Did you get a Home Hub 5 as they seem to have their own range of issues. Most people I know with a HH5 have got themselves a HG612 Openreach modem, from a famous auction site, and then either connected it to a router of their own choice or connected it to the wan port on the HH5 to bypass the modem part of the HH5.
01-10-2014, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 08:02 PM by mirdragon.)
I have my HH5 removed - was even sent another free one from BT but still in box - use my Archer C7 connected to HG612

I've also moved the thread as not really Origin related

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
01-10-2014, 08:24 PM
bit reluctant to try anything at the moment in case I trick the line into thinking theres a problem at it lowers my sync rate Smile

but the way its set up is

Master socket - think he's put a new faceplate on and the connection is going from this into the Home Hub 5
I've then got my Asus RT-N66U still next to my PC but i've turned it into a repeater.

For some reason when I tried moving the HH5 to my PC and connecting it to the phone line there it did connect then dropped connection after a min, so I moved it back.

Would prefer my Asus to the HH5 but I need something at my PC as that's kind of the hub for all my network.
01-10-2014, 08:49 PM
I have Archer C7 plugged into modem

C7 hardwired to TP-Link Switch next to TV for Xbox, Media Streamer, Sky, Roku

C7 hardwired to bedroom to a Wireless N Mini Pocket Router

C7 hardwired to attic to a HP Procurve Switch which also has a Wireless N Mini Pocket Router attached

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
02-10-2014, 09:14 AM
(01-10-2014 08:24 PM)agentwalker Wrote:  For some reason when I tried moving the HH5 to my PC and connecting it to the phone line there it did connect then dropped connection after a min, so I moved it back.
If the socket near your PC is a regular phone socket it should have been connected to the filtered side of the new VDSL faceplate at the main socket (via the bottom removeable telephone part of the NTE5 master socket - red circled connector in picture). As it is on the filtered side it will only carry the phone part of the signal and not the VDSL, so it will only work as a telephone extension.

If the socket is a new data extension socket (as part of a data extension kit) it should have a new cable connected back to the unfiltered part of the VDSL faceplate at the main socket (yellow circled connector in picture). As the signal being passed to the socket is raw / unfiltered it still contains the VDSL signal so it should work with your modem / router as a broadband extension.

[Image: original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)