Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
New bt infinity install
02-10-2014, 12:44 PM
RE: New bt infinity install
Cheers for that.

Will take a look when I get back, but I bet he's connected it to the filtered side so all it is now is a phone line with no VDSL signal.

Can't see why he couldn't leave everything as it was as everything was fine through digital region so I imagined all that would happen would be for the guy to switch the connects at the CAB and thats it, everything in the house would stay the same and just work.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2014, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2014 03:55 PM by alexatkin.)
If that is the case though it shouldn't have connected at all when you tried it.

If its connected unfiltered then that would explain it dropping as your phone is connected unfiltered.

Its an engineer install, they (are supposed to) work to strict rules to minimise the chance of there being problems. Using an extension for broadband is always a bad idea, but when its a self-install its YOUR problem if it doesn't work.
An engineer install however THEY take responsability for it being fitted correctly, so if THEY fit an extension and it fails its THEIR problem not yours. Its about accountability up to the modem.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Right it definitely went blue to indicate it was connected then dropped.

That phone line has got one off them filters plugged in separating the oboe and the internet
02-10-2014, 05:12 PM
In this situation I think my ideal solution would be a getting a Huawei HG612 and hooking it up to the Asus RT-N66U and forgetting the HH5 like mirdragon. I would probably mount the HG612 near the master socket and connect it to the VDSL socket on the SSFP, then instead of having the Asus RT-N66U right next to the HG612 I would run a longer ethernet cable (cat5e, 6, etc) from LAN1 on the HG612 all the way to the WAN port on the Asus RT-N66U located near my PC.

If you were to do this, I suppose the most difficult thing would be routing and fixing the ethernet cable in place between the HG612 at the master socket and the Asus RT-N66U near the PC. The only other difficulty you may have is if you are interested in unlocking the HG612 to see the line stats. The problem is that once unlocked you have to connect an additional ethernet cable to LAN2 on the HG612 to see the stats and unfortunately the Asus RT-N66U will not be located close to the HG612. I suppose you could always run two ethernet cables or alternatively just connect up a temporary one if you ever want to see the stats.
03-10-2014, 01:21 AM
It is possible to send two 100-BASE-T connections over a single cable, its still kinda messy though as the adapter you can buy are designed for plugging into RJ45 sockets rather than in-line.

You can of course also create a custom cable with two RJ45 connectors on each end, but it can be a little tricky.

I actually bought all the adapters to send both LAN1 and LAN2 over a single cable but am not using them at the moment since I figured out how to use VLANs instead and have my router split everything off onto the LAN correctly.

03-10-2014, 09:53 AM
Cheers guys, at the moment I've decided to leave it with the home hub connected to the master socket, then I'm connected to the wireless using my Asus router as a repeater.

Seems ok so far, but I'm tempted to plug in the bt box I got off eBay then run some cat 5 to where our needs to go.
03-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Its definitely the most optimal solution, keeps all other sockets filtered while also keeping the modem cable as short as possible.

04-10-2014, 01:37 PM
If u setup asus properly u can get it to perform security for everything connected to it. Rather than the hh5

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)