Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Origin Max!!
06-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Origin Max!!
After going onto the Origin website this morning I was impressed to see their new package on offer, Origin Max!

The package is basically the top internet service you could ever want with fully unlimited bandwidth up and down along but the best bit is the absolute max your line can support speed wise! This means if you’re on a short healthy copper circuit you could get over 100Mb down and over 20Mb upload!

The activation/installation fee is only £55 and a per month fee of £35 and includes a N300 router with the usual cellpipe and it’s just an 18 month contract. They also quote if your speeds aren’t much over the 40Mb after install they can downgrade once again at no cost, so far all the South Yorkshire broadband hungry people this is a brilliant package at a great price.

I have to say it is good that ISP’s and DRL are continuing to develop and improve the services they are offering and with some good advertising now I really think the network could be a huge success! With packages like this available the network is ahead of BT already in areas!

Matthew
Forum Administrator
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2012, 12:56 PM
RE: Origin Max!!
Yeah I had an email from Origin this morning.

It should also be noted that there is still no traffic shaping and unlimited bandwidth as well.

From what I can see, its currently pre-order and there is no way really of getting a rough idea of what throughput speeds to expect as the checker isn't programmed to it from what I can see.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2012, 04:22 PM
(06-04-2012 12:56 PM)SpencerUk Wrote:  Yeah I had an email from Origin this morning.

It should also be noted that there is still no traffic shaping and unlimited bandwidth as well.

From what I can see, its currently pre-order and there is no way really of getting a rough idea of what throughput speeds to expect as the checker isn't programmed to it from what I can see.

@SpencerUK,

Valid point on the traffic shaping etc.

It is only a pre-order product but just less than a month to go and I guess if your already connected with them like myself it will be an easy upgrade once ordered. I

guess current DRL/Origin customers they can give a very accurate estimation as to the likely speeds using data from Cellpipe at NOC. However, new provides will be a suck it and see but you can opt down to a cheaper package if the speed isn’t a great deal better.

Matthew
Forum Administrator
06-04-2012, 06:44 PM
If they are using the CellPipe, you would never get a 100mb speed. The LAN port itself is only 100mb and with the overhead you are looking 85mb tops at a rough guess.

Credit to Origin though saying they will downgrade if it doesn't work out.

I would like to know how Origin reacts when the new Wholesale provider takes over Digital Region and how it affects packages cost wise

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
06-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Yes true think it is good of them to be able to go onto a normal package if the max does not work out as intended.

I have only taken a guess looking at the info and image that it’s a cellpipe so it may be a newer model or a different device completely to ensure that it can handle the speeds. It may be an Openreach FTTC modem you never know!!

I think it will be interesting as well but whether there is a clause in the takeover contact that would prevent this I don’t know. Either way if some money was spent advertising the DRL network in South Yorkshire the take up could be significantly improved!!

Matthew
Forum Administrator
07-04-2012, 07:51 PM
I don't think it would be a cellpipe personally.

Can @Originb confirm?
Openreach modems do work, but I can't see BT giving them out especially when its not a BT operated and maintained network..well currently xD

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
09-04-2012, 09:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 09:41 PM by alexatkin.)
I will be asking Origin about this tomorrow as I'm supposed to be on the Max Trial this month prior to the official launch next month.

I was curious seeing as they seem to have already done a small scale trial with at least one person getting 121Mbit, which as pointed out this would be impossible on the current Cellpipe.

It could be of course that this person bought their own Draytek Vigor 2750. That would be super annoying as the cheapest is £132.50 second hand off eBay, I can't really afford that, but no way I'm going to sit back and let the Cellpipe bottleneck me either.

Perhaps this is part of why they want to trial the service, to see how many people will be hitting speeds that need a better modem/router?

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
09-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Hi Guys,

In regards to the 120Mbit/s this connection is one of our office connections in the centre of Sheffield. In the majority of cases we do not expect people to be syncing at over 100mb but we are not going to impose any upper limits It's just what your line can support without losing sync every 5 mins.

We have and are starting trials of this service imminently and as Alex mentions he will be testing the product, for exactly the reasons he mentions. Bringing data from all across the network, with the main goal to advance all our products. We are testing numerous equipment packages at the moment but the standard kit will still be the cellpipe until the bugs with the alternatives are worked through.

The Draytek VIgor 2750 is a good alternative.

Hope this helps,
Origin
09-04-2012, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 11:01 PM by alexatkin.)
Even ignoring the other obvious speed benefits, I love the idea of switching off the Thales speed throttling as I do not believe these sorts of things are ever entirely passive on your connection.

Ping times for example seemed to be better on the network (according to early speedtest.net reports) BEFORE Thales implemented the speed capping, so it will be interesting to see for myself.

I suspect things will look very different on my router as it graphs traffic going over the connection and currently its very bursty in nature, which I suspect is the Thales throttling at work. Its not inherently bad, but the less shaping going on the better - except of course where its needed for QoS of low latency applications.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
10-04-2012, 10:47 AM
It'll be interesting to see how his goes, especially as BT look to be readying their 8/20 product. Unfortunately ask4 don't seem to be making any noises about this, so I'd probably looking to migrate. I'd be especially interested in how you (alexatkins) gets along, as I seem to recall you have the router as me (WZR-HP-G300NH?), I'd rather not have to purchase a load of new kit.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)