Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Origin Has A Moan At Plusnet
17-10-2014, 08:44 PM
Origin Has A Moan At Plusnet
Interesting article popped up into my feed today regarding Origin taking some pot shots at Plusnet

Whilst I don't like the Plusnet adverts and frequently find myself changing the channel for 30 seconds or so while it gets off tele, I don't see how Origin can can take pot shots at Plusnet when they can't get their own house in order re Tech Support wait times, Provision issues, Tags issues, Refunds, complaints, etc.

Quote from Oliver here;

Quote:“We have built the network specifically for Yorkshire,” he said.

“We’re not owned by anyone else, we’re owned by Yorkshire people. We invest in Yorkshire jobs and we invest in the local network in the area to create a network for Yorkshire people.

“There is nothing more to it than that and that’s why we’re pushing the Yorkshire thing so much.”

He went on to say: “Plusnet might trade on the Yorkshire brand but its not really Yorkshire, it's making fun out of Yorkshire. A lot of it is - the flat caps, the brass bands and the dog.

He doesn't mention though that the jobs he creates he isn't actually paying a proper wage for and instead puts them on apprentice wages....Like a true politician, never tells the full picture.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2014, 09:56 PM
RE: Origin Has A Moan At Plusnet
I really don't understand why they would do this when they're trying so hard, as far as I can tell, to BE Plusnet.

It's a bit 'pot calling the kettle black' when they do exactly the same thing. The dogs:

The Yorkshire songs on Music on Hold... And if you want to talk about taking the piss and sterotyping... Brain Blessed... COME ON!

Plusnet started out as a small Yorkshire company just like Origin Broadband. Yes they got bought out by BT because of their success.

It does really smell like jealousy more than anything in my opinion. I don't think they earn any respect from anyone by shit slinging and trying to put down other companies who are more successful than yourself.

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

21-10-2014, 11:37 AM
“We have built the network specifically for Yorkshire,”

and there was me thinking they were just piggybacking off of BT/TT/whoever's networks ...
Find all posts by this user
24-10-2014, 05:28 PM
(21-10-2014 11:37 AM)Zytron Wrote:  “We have built the network specifically for Yorkshire,”

and there was me thinking they were just piggybacking off of BT/TT/whoever's networks ...

They are referring to their backhaul which as we understand it they bought from Digital Region when it closed down.

Its nothing to write home about though, I'm still averaging 66Mbit when it should be around 72Mbit (it actually IS doing that right now for once).

Might not seem a lot, but it suggests the network is not all that brilliant IMO.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
24-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Well, I know comparing ADSL to FTTC is apples to oranges, but my connection now i've moved over to a full Sky LLU service is VASTLY improved.

Origin was syncing at 2.5Mb/3Mb at a push but with daily resyncs, now the Sky DLM has deemed i'm worthy of a 3dbm target and I sync at 4350. Routes out are much better as well, many less hops than the old Origin connection.

So, I am suprised and gladly so. Glad to see the back of Origin !
26-10-2014, 02:08 PM
Hops aren't everything though, BT connections always seem to have HUGE routes compared to other ISPs but perform well.

Heck, Origin don't have particularly long routes but my performance is lacking. Its mostly about how well the backhaul is managed.

30-10-2014, 12:29 PM
What do we mean by "backhaul" - is this part of the network (eg cabling, premises, etc); or is it a device/devices that they've bought and relocated to their offices?

If they bought some old DR kit after it had been decomissioned to use for their own network, I wonder if this contirbuted to the delays getting people reconnected? As they wouldn't have been able to start using it until after DR had been decomissioned.
30-10-2014, 12:34 PM
The DR kit people refer to is the former DRBSY equipment which was used by DRL for business connections. Origin had control of it well in advance of the go live (and still left it!).
31-10-2014, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2014 07:37 PM by alexatkin.)
My understanding is backhaul is the part of the network between the BT cabinet and your ISP. Part of it is leased off BT, how much depends on your ISP and how many connections into BTs network they have. If mismanaged it can become overloaded so even if your ISP has a ton of bandwidth at their NOC, you are fighting with other customers before you got that far.

Once at the ISPs NOC I would generally refer to the connectivity from there outwards as peering, basically who and where they connect to other networks that form the Internet itself. Diverse peering means they have more connections to other networks and thus potentially multiple routes to the same Internet sites. That means if one is overloaded or down, there are other routes. It also increases the chance of one route being shorter than the other, due to how that networks peering also works.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)