Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
BT v Sky v Plusnet
19-11-2014, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2014 09:01 PM by clifft.)
RE: BT v Sky v Plusnet
(19-11-2014 08:20 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  did you go for the line rental as well?
Yes

Just seen you've added a bit to your previous connections. All new Plusnet connections are nominal 80/20 to the exchange. If like me you pay for the slower package Plusnet cap the download to 38. When the Openreach engineer tested my line he maxed out the 80 (or 78 or whatever it is).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2014, 09:39 PM
thanks - did you also do the line rental saver or decide to pay monthly

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
19-11-2014, 09:46 PM
(19-11-2014 09:39 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  thanks - did you also do the line rental saver or decide to pay monthly
I pay monthly. You get no call allowance on line rental saver. Not that I use the landline much but it's there if I need it.
19-11-2014, 09:59 PM
We take anytime calls as when off work during the day the missus is always on the phone, plus as she home before me it covers that as well other - I don't fancy getting the £200 a month call bills we used to get

With PN they don't force you take the mobile calling bit where you can call mobiles for half price unlike BT which force you to have this part of the anytime calls

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
25-11-2014, 05:41 PM
(19-11-2014 07:28 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  @bobpullen - I spoke to BT who insist that PlusNet are unable to provide Infinity 2 speeds and can only do upto 40Mbps - they are stating that PlusNet do high traffic shaping on their connections, especially for uploads and that there is also a £50 connection fee.

Attached is an screenshot of what order I was interested in, but there is no connection fee is this correct?

Apologies for the delayed response, I've been out of the country.

Did you get an answer to this, or are you still seeking clarification?

Bit naughty of BT to mis-advise you like that

Best regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet
community.plus.net
25-11-2014, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2014 08:12 PM by mirdragon.)
Hi @bobpullen

Thanks for getting back, hope had nice time

I've looked online and can confirm that PN can provide me with same speeds as BT @ 69Mbps - but it does mention when look about that they do perform traffic shaping on the network (I thought they didn't or you could purchase the extra to ensure you had no shaping on connection) - so would be grateful if can confirm this (we do streaming and online gaming and X1 can have some meaty downloads)

Also I still have my old F9 email address could this be used when signing up (and still get the offers from quidco)

Also can you set payment dates (I like bills to come out of my account between 1st and 10th) so I know what I have left to spend.

I finally got my mac code tonight (had to call to get it), so looking at switching at best time for payments as BT have still not come back with an offer to stay

I just want smooth transition from current services (line+calls+fibre) to the same on PN and will be using my own router/modem setup

I thought mac codes were valid for 30 days, just received this from BT after calling them earlier for it

Quote:You've got time to think about your options
There's no rush. You've got 25 days to use your MAC before it expires. If you want to stay with us, you don't need to do anything. Your MAC will automatically expire if it's not used and you'll keep your BT Broadband.

regards

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

27-11-2014, 01:25 PM
(25-11-2014 08:09 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  I've looked online and can confirm that PN can provide me with same speeds as BT @ 69Mbps - but it does mention when look about that they do perform traffic shaping on the network (I thought they didn't or you could purchase the extra to ensure you had no shaping on connection) - so would be grateful if can confirm this (we do streaming and online gaming and X1 can have some meaty downloads)

Put simply, you're not going to notice. If anything, it will work to your advantage. There's a good explanation here.

Quote:Also I still have my old F9 email address could this be used when signing up (and still get the offers from quidco)

To benefit from the Quidco offer, you'd need to register a new account. It's possible for us to upgrade the old Force9 account but it would be very cumbersome and prone to mistakes happening.

Quote:Also can you set payment dates (I like bills to come out of my account between 1st and 10th) so I know what I have left to spend.

Sadly not, your invoice date will be aligned with the date the service goes active.

Quote:I thought mac codes were valid for 30 days...

They are.

Quote:... just received this from BT after calling them earlier for it

Quote:You've got time to think about your options
There's no rush. You've got 25 days to use your MAC before it expires.

Perhaps they generate the MAC but hold onto it for 5 days as part of their retention process. Admittedly, that would be a particularly odd thing to do, but not outside the realms of possibility I guess.

Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet
community.plus.net
27-11-2014, 02:09 PM
@bobpullen

Thanks for info BT came back with an offer that was too good to be true and on further checking it was. The offer was only for broadband and not what else they included in email.

So if switch hope it is smooth transition so no major downtime

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

30-11-2014, 10:08 PM
(27-11-2014 02:09 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  @bobpullen

Thanks for info BT came back with an offer that was too good to be true and on further checking it was. The offer was only for broadband and not what else they included in email.

So if switch hope it is smooth transition so no major downtime

Which actually means you have the offer in writing, there was something similar on one of the consumer programmes within the last week or so, I think it was sky guess what when pushed they gave the offer and a bit more claimed it was all to do with the codes the salesman have to put in to get the offers on the account
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)