Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Would I be mad to consider returning to Origin?
18-02-2015, 03:19 PM
RE: Would I be mad to consider returning to Origin?
Apart from the migration problems which as has been already said wasn't totally their fault I've stuck with them and had no problems at all
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2015, 01:56 AM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2015 07:02 AM by alexatkin.)
(12-02-2015 07:18 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  @alexatkin, i'm not sure if BT have been making changes or if the cabs are receiving a lot of crosstalk or too many users on them now, as I used to constantly receive over 75Mbps and now averaging 67-69Mbps - I need to have a wander as well to determine if BT have actually moved me from 1 fibre cab to another (and removed originally cabinet) as when the DR cabinet disappeared a new bt fibre cab went up and were the original bt fibre cab I am (or was) connected to was a small one and could not be upgraded.

I kinda assumed it was some sort of BT problem as one of the reasons I trust Origin not to cap connections is I don't trust them to know how to actually do it. Wink

It could be crosstalk I suppose, certainly lately if I try during the early morning I have been getting greater speeds than before. But surely there should be more errors on the line and/or a reduction in my sync speed? I am connected full speed with 8.7dB downstream SNR. That said its a physically different line to my old DR connection so its condition or location in the cable bundle is unknown.

Over the last week or so speeds have improved during the early hours of the morning though, suggesting something has changed. It just bothers me not knowing why its slower, even if its not really an actual problem.

Incidentally, you can see how fairly consistent my connection used to be on Digital Region and how very erratic it has been until recently on BTW at http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=...=279529029 .
The more consistent results recently at the end though were all done around 5-6am, there definitely still seems to be some contention or crosstalk during peak hours. Its actually showing on my ping graph.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2015, 09:48 PM
How about going Aquiss for the WLR (30 day rolling) and then going BB/FTTC Only? with say Plusnet or zen or something?

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
01-03-2015, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2015 11:42 PM by Ray_Von.)
It seems more confusion rains from the bowels of OBs offices....Big Grin

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/201...ent-153285

Quote:Clearly Origin need to work on their public information and messaging as at present it’s all very confusing for consumers.

Phil.
07-03-2015, 10:34 AM
Now connected to Plusnet fibre. Migration was trouble free and took place overnight. Performance similar to BT, but my ping graph looks better; with the same minimum latency but the spikes are smaller and far less frequent (usage hasn't changed). Also got a static IP for a £5 setup fee. Happy so far Smile
01-05-2015, 01:20 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2015 01:22 AM by alexatkin.)
As PlusNet run traffic shaping I highly suspect they prioritise ICMP so that ping graphs look better than the real-world performance actually is. Wink

That is not to say PlusNet is bad, I actually think traffic shaping can be a good thing, for gaming and VoIP.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
08-08-2015, 03:35 PM
(18-02-2015 03:19 PM)john1 Wrote:  Apart from the migration problems which as has been already said wasn't totally their fault I've stuck with them and had no problems at all

It was entirely their fault. They left it far too late to inform customers that their connection was going to end. That was a decision they made an an executive level in the belief that it would result in them retaining more of their customer base. As an internet based business who weren't up to speed reading forums about the demise of the digital region the loss of connection at such short notice and one that lasted for 2 months nearly broke us........

On top of that our bank had to intervene to recover money owed

I'm quite angry at the repeated unsolicited attempts to make contact with us regarding their new broadband packages and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole !!

Would I be mad to consider returning to Origin? YES
13-08-2015, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2015 01:50 PM by mirdragon.)
They trying to drum up business again on the sheffield forum Origin Broadband - Renewed Forum Presence

I can't understand why ex-users would want to go back with this company after what happened with the Digital Region closure

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
13-08-2015, 03:39 PM
(13-08-2015 01:46 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  They trying to drum up business again on the sheffield forum Origin Broadband - Renewed Forum Presence

I can't understand why ex-users would want to go back with this company after what happened with the Digital Region closure

I myself left in July just before DR closed in mid August.I was given my MAC code promptly and migrated away without any hassle.Those who stayed got the brunt of a huge c*ck up by Origin and it left(rightly so imo) many users very angry and without broadband.
In the 2 years I was with Origin I had very few problems and found them very helpful.
At present I am with AAisp who are brilliant,this is how every broadband company should be run but they are quite expensive especially if you are a big usage user.I myself am not but still pay £30 a month.They do a 100GB a month ADSL package which is £25 a month,add fibre to that and it shoots up to £35 a month which is a bit too expensive for me.
So I think I would possibly short list Origin when I am able to get fibre again...
Either that or consider one of the big boys.I would like to be able to do a lot more with my connection(eg watch tv,youtube and download box sets etc ),but getting just over 2.5mb at present makes it quite impossible.

Phil.
13-08-2015, 07:09 PM
i have BT infinity and tbh cannot fault it, i have a few downtimes in the 3.5 years I have been with them which is expected, unlike with Digital Region where it went down every week without fail - With BT I'm on a 12 month contract and it is less than £20pm for the full unlimited package - i get my TV through Sky (£26pm) which includes all channels except sports (I get BT sports free) and all the hd channels - and the new on-demand films auto-download overnight in HD if they are released in that format - the boxsets are also quite handy and i can watch on two mobile devices as well if wanted or pay extra and watch on 4 devices plus stream via xbox - i also watch netflix on regular basis - overall we're streaming a lot and my kid is bad with it on youtube all the time - i think last month was a quiet month and we used about 400GB - i'm also streaming outbound using plex.

I have thought about migrating from BT and choosing another, but with the hassle we had with other providers I think we're going to stick to BT as at least I know were we stand and if their are problems I know how to get a complaint raised and get the problem sorted.

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)