Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Power Supply Query
03-06-2015, 06:12 PM
RE: Power Supply Query
you could actually use a USB stick

I tried pfsense and it kept disconnecting every 8 minutes or so - put smoothwall on and that has been active for 7 days now while my vdsl link has been active for 144 days, 5 hours and 53 minutes

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2015, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2015 06:46 PM by alexatkin.)
RE: Power Supply Query
Ended up trying pfSense sooner than expected as I put the mSATA SSD in the router (the idea being so I can try pfSense later without needing to open it up at that time) and then the USB stick wouldn't boot back into OpenWRT, claiming something was corrupt.

Its way more complicated than OpenWRT (at least initially, probably just getting used to where things are) but to its credit it DID work relatively quickly.

The hardest part was trying to get TRIM enabled for the SSD as the box kept not wanting to boot with a keyboard plugged in. Huh

Was just a whole bunch of madness yesterday as I had this insane idea to update the server and my desktop to Fedora 22 while also upgrading to a larger SSD in my desktop and putting the old one in the server, because the one already in there was not being reliably detected at boot (literally, rebooting about ten times to get it to actually detect and boot) for some reason.

Of course it turned out a disaster as Fedora KDE spin have switched to KDE 5 which is in the same complete mess KDE 4 was at release. My desktop had a completely empty desktop, losing the layout I have carefully crafted over the years, and the server wouldn't even boot. Oh and yeah, the LiveCD locks up every 5-10 minutes because the open source nVidia driver is a pile of shit. So that delayed me considerably when trying to fix things.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)