Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Just got Ripwire Digital Region
17-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Well I finally got it on Tuesday. Had some issues on the way though. Well mostly that it took Open reach 40 days before they decided I required my line changing over, so I suppose this isnt an issue with Ripwire?
The other issue with my connection was that the DSL light was on but for the life of me I couldnt get the damn internet to dial up... Now I work in IT networking so i know some stuff like so I knew I was doing nothing wrong. Put a ticket in at 6pm and got a call at 6:30, so that was good! Unfortunately thinking that it would be ages before I got anything from them I had gone out shopping in a mood. So anyway they rang back at 7:30 when I was in, we went through all of the setup several times and tried a few things. Nothing worked. The router and computer both just timed out on trying to connect. Eventually he realised that he had no Email confirming the connection which he found strange considering it all looked right from both of our ends. So he rang Digital region (I guess) and they said that they needed 20 mins to finish it all off. So he rang back after 20 mins and we tried again, still nothing. So he rang Digital region again and they said to try now. Turned all the kit off and back on and WOO HOO it worked. So I guess thats a lesson for us all.
In 3 days I have had one drop out (that I know of) on the same day we connected which I suppose as the line levels off or whatever will be normal. Last test I did on the PC returned 24ms to London with 35 down and 1 up. 35 Down im fairly happy with but 1 up im not sure is right. Im hoping that it will get better as the line gets sorted?

ISP: Ask4 DR Speed: 39.5Mbit /9.90Mbit Ping: 16ms to bbc.co.uk Line Length: ~400m
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Hi TheGr33k,

Glad to hear you joined up with RiPWiRE.

Some people have teething problems when they first sign up (like myself), but main thing is that you are back up and running Smile

I assume you are on the Option 2 package with the up to 10mb upstream?. Looking at your downstream throughput, I would expect better performance upstream wise without a doubt. I assume you are doing the speedtests on a wired connection?.

I've noticed varying downstream throughput speeds (varied from around 2mb to 34mb) but it just appears to be epic congestion on a central pipe on the actual internet.

I'd give your line a couple of weeks to settle down (ie retraining period), but if its not sorted out, I'd get back to RiPWiRE and ask them to look into it.

On the topic of RiPWiRE, they have improved customer service wise since I joined them which is nice to see Smile.

Apologies for the late reply, been doing lots of stuff recently.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Its cool, no need to apologise, we all have a life.
Thanks for the advice, Ill take it. I do expect much better than I am getting up at the mo, down im pretty happy all in.
Im wired yes, the Wifi tests are around 30MB but that is likely because wifi generally does have throughput issues, I know all about that joy. Im on option 2, so 40/10 should be the rough numbers.
Yea, the customer service was surprisingly good! I mean you could tell there was not much he could do at the other end of a phone and I felt sorry for him, being as I work as a IT tech I knew what I was doing and had already tested the lot before I got in touch with them so it was basically me going back over things again with him. Glad it was their end after all that though, for a while when he was just double checking it all with me I wondered if it would be one of those things that keeps on going...
Since you have the background end exp I dont have in ISP and broadband, just what is the retraining period? I can guess from what I know about networks like; something like line testing while being used to get best Signal/Noise ratio on the line, measure the max stable speeds etc...
Cheers Spencer

ISP: Ask4 DR Speed: 39.5Mbit /9.90Mbit Ping: 16ms to bbc.co.uk Line Length: ~400m
03-12-2011, 12:13 AM
A retraining period is basically a period, usually 10 days where your line values change to calculate the best possible speed for your line and stability so your spot on

I'm happy that RiPWiRE have improved on the customer service side of things. Considering from when I joined in Feb there has been an massive turnaround in that department. Actually sound like they care now which is great!. Maybe I should do an amended review hehe.

Are those speeds (upload) still shaky?

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
17-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Aye, still just over 1Meg. Might have to get onto them I think... Smile

28-12-2011, 11:34 PM
The start off point I would say would be to ask for your line stat's.
If your upload connection rate is shaky (ie only 2mb), its probably a provision error and should be fixed without an engineer visit.
If your line rate upstream is good..may need a DR and Openreach co-op job. Hope you had a good christmas Smile

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
02-01-2012, 09:36 PM
I agree with SpencerUK that the support has improved but it's still got a long, long way to go.

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
11-01-2012, 04:51 PM
TheGr33k,

Hi, if you dont think you are getting the approprate speeds please open up a support ticket and our technical support can get on with resolving the problem straight away
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)