Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe
14-05-2012, 08:24 PM
RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe
Agree with that. All our Be Boxes are still in their cardboard boxes.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2012, 09:47 PM
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

@AlexAtkin how did Digital Region tell you to stop? Did they phone you or get Origin to do it?
14-05-2012, 10:01 PM
@TTM13

From what I can make out, it wasn't communicated from Digital Region directly...Then again, do they communicate anything to the people using the network?. They gave us the cold shoulder when it came to RiPWiRE.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-05-2012, 10:35 PM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2012 10:39 PM by aceado.)
(14-05-2012 08:01 PM)LeJimster Wrote:  What if anything you should do is only support your own hardware but allow users to use whatever they want at their own risk. I've been with o2 5+ years and I've barely took their wireless router of it's box because I found for me the best hardware for stability and speed was my Belkin 7633.

BTW.. I do not like the idea that somebody can login to my router/modem and alter settings without my knowledge. This backdoor technology while may make it easier for ISP's to diagnose issues, is quite creepy and it only takes one bad actor and they can be snooping. now this is a BIG NO NO

Hey Digital Region, if you are reading this thread go **** yourself. And quit harrassing Alex. You think you are going to encourage people onto your network if you don't understand the *customer* comes first? Most of us are used to using our own routers and finding what works best for OUR line. It may not be that your Cellpipe or Zyxel branded stuff works best for US. Rather than being anal, how about you come here and interact with us and inquire why we want to run our own hardware.

IF i agree on anything is that YOU should be able to use own hardware but they should allow this only if your willing to use the cellpipe to help find any problems there is as this is just stuck up on how they are about this

p.s digtalregion should add the trademark "pussy footing" to there website lol
14-05-2012, 10:53 PM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2012 10:54 PM by mirdragon.)
BT allow users to use the Draytek and even Draytek publish info on their website on how to set the device up.

The modem as you all know can be modded and even this is mentioned on the bt forums

@AlexAtkin/@SpencerUK - did you have to default anything before you could do stuff or did you know the current password

I've ordered one for messing with so i don't touch their original modem.

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
14-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Oh how laughable.

So people are flashing the Huawei on the Openreach network. Openreaches response to this has been quite amusing so far.

On example from the last two weeks is a customer flashing it, the next day getting a fault which was completely unrelated and needing an engineer.

Engineer comes out and has to do a co-op call with Openreach. The engineer has the call on handsfree and the Openreach guy stated he was not getting the right response from the modem.

Two reasons. 1: the modems do run software that interfaces with Openreach. 2: the RMDSLAM in use was a EIC and Openreach now pair modems to the RMDSLAM in use, because they work and respond better to each other.

The Openreach guy asked if the engineer had a EIC in the van and to use it, as the customer aint flashing it.

Only fun thing is the EIC is almost as open as the huawei is. Needs some more work right now, as physical hardware needs to be touched unlike the huawei.

Openreach really are not bothered though. Why are DR/Thales?

After doing some digging on Origins terms of service, I love 4.1s. The most unenforceable term ever.

Amusement aside, Origin have two main points that directly concern this and an indirect term.

4.1j
To use only BABT approved telephone equipment, all equipment must comply with all relevant legislation relating to its use from time to time;

Thus provided the modem is compliant here, feel free to proceed. If using an ex-Openreach modem, feel even more free to Big Grin

Origin Broadband shall be entitled to suspend Service in order to maintain or improve the Network or if obliged to do so by virtue of any direction or request from any Government Department, Emergency Service, Regulatory or Administrative Authority, or by its principals, or for any other reason whatsoever.

This point is very very open ended. "Sorry the wind was blowing south" or "Summer arrived" could be constituted as reasons for suspension.

That said, they would be on very shakey grounds and would lead one of a few things. The indirect item of 9.5 to change the conditions of service. Such detrimental changes may be grounds to terminate your contract. They state you must pay a termination fee but without agreement to commit to the new contract, this may not be enforceable.

You could well be entitled to see through your contract at £0 per month under Ofcom rules which essentially state, no service, no payment (sorry folks, this does not apply to faults, which is non-enforced loss of service).

Outside of Origins terms, if your terms of service does not mandate the need to use the supplied hardware, but Thales/DR contract with your supplier does, that's their problem and not yours.
14-05-2012, 11:53 PM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2012 11:57 PM by LeJimster.)
(14-05-2012 10:55 PM)prichardson Wrote:  .......Origin Broadband shall be entitled to suspend Service in order to maintain or improve the Network or if obliged to do so by virtue of any direction or request from any Government Department, Emergency Service, Regulatory or Administrative Authority, or by its principals, or for any other reason whatsoever........

Are we clutching at straws or is this the real problem? Is Digital Region still owned and run by the government or local SY councils? Because they run their own networks on DR, do we think they're extra paranoid about users having their own hardware. For such nefarious reasons as viewing their line stats and possibly tweaking their performance.. Oh no! The shock.

I'm not sure how what Alex has done or anyone else running their own modem/router has done wrong. They're using the same settings as the Cellpipe/Zyxel to access their service, the difference is it gives them some kind of transparency as to what is happening on their connection. It's not like they've broken into fort knocks or something, seriously...

ISP: plusnet Router: Huawei EchoLife HG612 Speed: ~53Mb/13Mb PCP: ~500m Exc: Intake
14-05-2012, 11:56 PM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2012 11:56 PM by SpencerUk.)
@LeJimster

The majority share holding was Yorkshire Forward which is the government..Its under a new title these days though.

@prichardson

Digital Region make Wholesale/Openreach look like gods don't they lol

@mirdragon

I didn't have to use anything special at all..literally sync up and establish PPoE

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
15-05-2012, 12:05 AM
London bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down.
Digital Region is falling down, falling down, falling down.. My fair lady.

ISP: plusnet Router: Huawei EchoLife HG612 Speed: ~53Mb/13Mb PCP: ~500m Exc: Intake
15-05-2012, 09:48 AM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2012 04:32 PM by Chalky.)
The big question for me as I've read through the latest posts on this thread is:

Would Digital Region have even known you were using the Huawei at all if you hadn't posted. It seems like they've read the post and then kicked off. I have a feeling if you hadn't said anything, they wouldn't have said anything either.

Shame how helping someone out leads to such action from Digital Region.

It's also therefore annoying that Digital Region sit and read these posts, but when we call out for help from them, they never bother to reply.

Well read this @Digital Region:

I'm glad I can't get Digital Region and when I move elsewhere where I possibly could get it, thanks to your actions, I'd have to think again
All this time I've been moaning about how I can't get Digital Region, I think I'm well and truly better off without it. You're not only driving current customers away, but you're driving away the potential customers that you crave and NEED so much!

I use my own Modem/Router with TalkTalk and they just say that they can't support it, which is fair enough but that doesn't mean they turn around and threaten to cut me off. In fact, TalkTalk DO support other modems not supplied by them, it's just my particular model that they can't support. I guess this is mainly down to the fact that it's a £100 router and most people don't buy them because they are not willing to spend that kind of money. If more people did buy it, I'm sure they would support it!

The fact of the matter is, if Digital Region didn't provide a piece of junk in the first place, people would be less likely to want to shop around for alternatives! I've seen @mattyatty1 's CellPipe and it's like the Motorola DynaTAC of the Broadband era. It's unnecessarily HUGE and it's crazy that you can't use it as it was designed to be used. If they're so picky about equipment, surely they should be quibbling about the routers that people are putting on the other end of the Cellpipe too?

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)