Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
LB1 v Origin
15-05-2012, 12:27 PM
LB1 v Origin
What are the pros and cons of both these DR isp's..Given a choice who would you go with and why.

I am still undecided as which one I should sign up with in a few weeks time.

Origin seem to be the new kid on the block and use a poor router(and a cellpipe),but do have a cheaper package(which probably would suit my needs)

LB1 on the other hand use just one router and seem to be better organised at getting users connected,perhaps this is down to lower staffing levels?

Decisions,decisions.Big Grin

Phil.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2012, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2012 12:47 PM by LeJimster.)
RE: LB1 v Origin
BTW you can ask not receive the Tenda router with Origin. I asked if I could save some money by not having it as I already have a router that will work with their supplied modem.

There is one big difference is if you want to retain your BT line. I do believe LBO take over your whole line and you have to get phone packages from them. Whereas I can leave my mom to choose her package with BT or whoever she wishes and sign up with and Origin for my broadband if I want. Origin do offer a VOIP service and line rental which after installation is cheaper than BT's package, but like I say, sometimes its better to have options.

I think I'd prefer to have the Zyxel all in one package and go with Origin because they offer cheaper introductory package. But the Cellpipe is fine too.

You also have to ask the question if you want the TV packages as LBO are ahead of Origin on that front.

ISP: plusnet Router: Huawei EchoLife HG612 Speed: ~53Mb/13Mb PCP: ~500m Exc: Intake
15-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Hi Lejimster Smile

I wasn't under the impression LB1 took over your BT line,if this is the case then I won't be going with them.I paid one year advance rental with BT in January.
I shall have to look into this. Confused

Phil.
15-05-2012, 12:50 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2012 12:58 PM by SpencerUk.)
You could ask the same question for X ISP vs Z ISP on the BT Wholesale network and you would get very similar results. I'll put up categories as best I can here;

NOTE: This is only my opinion. Others may differ.

Package Range

Origin have 4 packages available to choose from ranging from £17.50 to £35. All contracts 18 months.

LittleBigOne has 1 real broadband package to choose from at £25. The rest are other bundled services such as Network TV. Can't confirm how many because there website is all over the shop atm...Not a good start to this reply haha (made them aware on Twitter and they are on it). All contracts 18 months.

Winner: Origin

Support

Origin have 24/7 support, Social media support and of course there support portal.

LittleBigOne also have 24/7 support, Social media support. No support portal from what I can see.

Winner: Origin

Equipment

Origin Supply a Cellipipe modem bridged with a Tenda wireless router.

LittleBigOne supply an all in one solution ZyXEL although to a degree locked down, can see a damn sight more than a Cellpipe.

Winner: LittleBigOne

Presentation

Origin have a clean looking site with full indications as to what you are looking at.

LittleBigOne have a more select what you want to look at approach.

Winner: Draw

Resolutions

Origin have recently had the issues of delayed provision (although not clear who this is down to)

LittleBigOne have had similar issues with new installs and also not to mention the issue with the 100mb postcode checker.

Winner: Draw - Both limited by DR/Thales inability to do something productive.

Forum Support

When the chaos of RiPWiRE started in Feb, Origin were quick on the scene to provide updates which was great to see and provided a sense of not leaving people in the dark. LittleBigOne also came on here around the same time although I felt the approach was "come sign up with us to avoid getting bent over". Since then, both sides have gone quiet.

Winner: Draw

Closing Thoughts

There is no clear winner. Although it looks like that Origin may have edged it on packages, you need to also take into consideration they don't do TV if that's your thing. Also from my reading, it looks like they are behind on the 100mb Max trial product too.

Both in my opinion are settled ISP's. There isn't a wrong choice here IMO. I think for one to be a clear winner, they have to do something more than what they are doing at the moment.

Also Consider

Ask4.

Ask4 although, exceptionally quiet on the Digital Region side of things (reasons unknown), don't have many issues with the network and have to be given credit for almost a seamless transition from RiPWiRE to Ask4. They only have one package, £25 but also have good support channels.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-05-2012, 12:55 PM
I could be wrong on the BT phone line thing.. I was trying to verify the information, but littlebigone's website is partial fubar today and it won't show the packages or anything.

ISP: plusnet Router: Huawei EchoLife HG612 Speed: ~53Mb/13Mb PCP: ~500m Exc: Intake
15-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the comments

Just phoned LB1 and you don't have to give up your BT phone line.

Phil.
15-05-2012, 01:10 PM
=) - That may put them back on my radar then if thats the case.

15-05-2012, 02:19 PM
I can confirm you do not need to hand your line over to LB1 it is optional I am same and paid BT in advance.

I chose LB1 but in all fairness I think both LB1 and origin would come as a draw unless you are interested in the lower packages available through origin

[Image: livetag_409452.png]
15-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Quote:There is one big difference is if you want to retain your BT line. I do believe LBO take over your whole line

I think what LB1 mean is if there is a fault with your line from the cabinet to your home they will take it up with BT.

Well that's what the guy told me in their c/s dept just now.

Phil.
15-05-2012, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2012 03:53 PM by KarlAustin.)
Only time there would be no voice service is if you take a brand new line at the same time for DR (through DRL). Otherwise there will always be voice service - be that via Wholesale Line Rental with your new provider or via your existing phone service provider. If you're with someone like TalkTalk at the moment and it is a fully unbundled service (MPF) then it has to be converted to either a shared LLU (SMPF) or WLR line first before you can order DR on it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)