Origin, praise when its needed!
28-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Thumbs Up Origin, praise when its needed!
Hi all,

I joined Origin 1st May after the long wait as most people did who signed up early this year. I instantly got exactly what it said on the tin, 24meg down and 2meg up. Ping was a constant 29ms.

I use my internet for Gaming so a 29ms is not good enough, bandwidth is wasted on me really as i don't do much downloading.

I have had numerous phone conversations with Origin from day 5 asking to reduce my ping somehow. They really have bent over backwards to help but no such luck.

To cut a long story short, after an hour and half of tests and tweaking, Peter and Oliver have got me the following results pinging to google in command prompt

Packets: Sent = 9, Received = 9, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 17ms, Average = 16ms

JD's auto tester, Down 23.7mbs, up 1.97mbs and ping 16ms

pingtest.net shows a mere 12ms ping lol

The fastest ping speeds i have seen so far on the DR network and nearly half of what i started on.

A big thumbs up to Origin and i have my first referral coming your way as soon as my friend receives his MAC.

Apologies but i don't know how to add screen shots.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2012, 08:12 PM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2012 08:13 PM by LeJimster.)
RE: Origin, praise when its needed!
This sounds very promising.. Do you know if they were able to turn the interleaving off on your line? aka Fastpath? As thats what it looks like from your quoted pings.

What kind of pings do you get to the thinkbroadbrand line monitor? as the lowest I've seen to that is 20ms.

ISP: plusnet Router: Huawei EchoLife HG612 Speed: ~53Mb/13Mb PCP: ~500m Exc: Intake
28-05-2012, 08:32 PM
i do wonder at what cost interleaving aka fastpath would do to a line like mine

Quote:Pinging http://www.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.130] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 80.249.99.130: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=56
Reply from 80.249.99.130: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 80.249.99.130:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 31ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 31ms
28-05-2012, 11:42 PM
from what i have been told, fastpath is not working on the digital region yet. something they are looking into.
The think broadband test give a total different reading from the others i have displayed. mmm

28-05-2012, 11:43 PM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2012 12:09 AM by LeJimster.)
@aceado totally depends on your line whether it can do fastpath without losing you any more speed. You *may* actually get a slight speed boost going to fastpath under the right conditions...

BTW, just making sure you know interleaving = on is the opposite of fastpath. By default Interleaving is enabled on all DR lines, I've been waiting to see someone with it turned off, and I think *finally* we have someone whos done it. So congrats to @john22rob - and very nice ~10ms latency to thinkbroadband's line monitor. ^_^

(28-05-2012 11:42 PM)john22rob Wrote:  from what i have been told, fastpath is not working on the digital region yet. something they are looking into.
The think broadband test give a total different reading from the others i have displayed. mmm

With the pings you are showing us, I'm surprised if fastpath isn't enabled. Interleave on it's *lowest* setting adds 16ms from what I've read. Your ping is at *least* 16ms lower than it was and very comparable to BT Infinity now. Why do you say your pings are totally different to thinkbroaband than other sites? It's showing 10ms baseline, thats great and much more inline what I would expect from a FTTC product.

The only thing I've wondered about is I've read VDSL2 can have interleaving/stability and prioritize protocols to go at "fastpath" type latency. I hadn't seen any evidence of that being the case in reality though.. Unless this is it? It looks good whatever they've done to your line.

ISP: plusnet Router: Huawei EchoLife HG612 Speed: ~53Mb/13Mb PCP: ~500m Exc: Intake
29-05-2012, 12:13 AM
Why do you say your pings are totally different to thinkbroaband than other sites? It's showing 10ms baseline, thats great and much more inline what I would expect from a FTTC product.
[/quote]

Its the maximum latency that seems so much different. highest i have see with the other speed tests is 20ms but the thinkbroadband shows about 80ms.

I have just done a test on wireless and i was uploading at full speed so hence the big jump you can see lol

29-05-2012, 12:22 AM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2012 12:27 AM by alexatkin.)
No, interleaving on its DEFAULT setting [on Digital Region] adds 16ms. If I recall correctly a low interleaving setting should only add around 6ms.

Its certainly been the case that some people on Infinity on fastpath have gotten as low as 6ms.

Its why once I FINALLY get on Origin Max I will just ask for interleaving to be reduced rather than turned off entirely. I don't see any point in doing it now as it will get reversed as soon as they switch me onto the Max profile.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Wink RE: Origin, praise when its needed!
I must admit, I have just called them to ask for my interleaving to be removed and the guy couldn't have been more helpful.

Here's my current line stats :

[Image: Graph.png]

[Image: littlegreengeek.png]
29-05-2012, 12:46 PM
I'd just like to add that my install scheduled for last Friday 25th May went to plan. The normal slight teething problems you get were dealt with quickly by the guys at Origin.

Hopefully, by building a good reputation take up for their DRL offerings will increase. I think I'm probably the only one on my streets DRL cab.

[Image: f10c051da04362059faed0f7ace753f0-29-05-2012.png]
29-05-2012, 01:12 PM
@alexatkin if the lowest interleave setting is 6ms that is pretty acceptable idd. But still if this is not fastpath.. That means latency should be even more tasty on DRL if it was enabled.

@john22rob when you were running the other ping tests were you doing anything else with your internet? When i've seen such big fluctuations on peoples lines with the tbb monitor, i always assume they're downloading/uploading which is causing their ping to spike. If it's being random and absolutely nothing is happening on your line, then that *is* strange.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)