Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
interleaving
30-05-2012, 11:29 AM
RE: interleaving
(30-05-2012 10:59 AM)SpencerUk Wrote:  Although I'm going to be quiet in this thread, Interleaving can have its benefits. It's not all doom and gloom having it on.

Common then @SpencerUk, you have to tell us what you mean now Big Grin

ISP: Ask4 DR Speed: 39.5Mbit /9.90Mbit Ping: 16ms to bbc.co.uk Line Length: ~400m
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2012, 11:33 AM
@SpencerUk Interleaving is fine on unstable lines. But people with high sync speeds usually have a decent line quality and therefore probably don't need interleaving. As tekmobile has noticed he's actually getting better throughput with interleaving turned off, probably because theres slightly less overhead with it off.

When I finally move to DR I will be requesting it turned off as you can't say no to low latency like this Wink.

ISP: plusnet Router: Huawei EchoLife HG612 Speed: ~53Mb/13Mb PCP: ~500m Exc: Intake
30-05-2012, 01:38 PM
(30-05-2012 10:59 AM)SpencerUk Wrote:  Although I'm going to be quiet in this thread, Interleaving can have its benefits. It's not all doom and gloom having it on.

it is if u want pings under 15 and you've got a stable enough line and dont mind possibly losing a few ks (could even gain in some circumstances) lol

Ash

[Image: 4173472130.png][Image: 8115047.png]
30-05-2012, 02:04 PM
If Thales were willing to perceviere with us I would bet most people would gain speed from turning off interleaving not lose. The ONLY reason you lose speed is because they increase the SNRM out of paranoia that your line might, god forbid, drop sync once in a while.

Personally I was used to my line dropping sync anything from daily to weekly when I was on ADSL2+ with a 3dB SNRM. So when I finally get round to trying with interleaving off I will specifically request them set a 6dB SNRM and no higher, with any luck they will obey. I think you can set the SNRM from the command line on the HG612 anyway.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-05-2012, 02:10 PM
(30-05-2012 02:04 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  If Thales were willing to perceviere with us I would bet most people would gain speed from turning off interleaving not lose. The ONLY reason you lose speed is because they increase the SNRM out of paranoia that your line might, god forbid, drop sync once in a while.

Personally I was used to my line dropping sync anything from daily to weekly when I was on ADSL2+ with a 3dB SNRM. So when I finally get round to trying with interleaving off I will specifically request them set a 6dB SNRM and no higher, with any luck they will obey. I think you can set the SNRM from the command line on the HG612 anyway.

ive gained on my download since they turned it off i was on 62 and over the past few days as of 10 mins ago its now up to 66, So gone from 62meg with about 27-30 ping to 66meg with a 9-11 so im happy

66608/19468 kbps
noise margin upstream: 9 db
output power downstream: 1 db
attenuation upstream: 0 db
noise margin downstream: 9 db
output power upstream: 10 db
attenuation downstream: 23 db

Ash

30-05-2012, 02:12 PM
But have you got the balls to ask them if they will drop your SNRM to 6dB? Would be interesting to see if they would be willing as that should bump you up even further.

30-05-2012, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2012 02:22 PM by ash45.)
well yea when i was on ADSL i got it down to 2 with DMT tools lol so ive got no problem pushing it to max but when i asked them see if they could get my speed any faster they told me thats as far as i can go due to line length (course they did say that at 63meg lol and as proof shows im now at 66) so maybe they just wont go below 9, What would you ask them to see if theyll go lower i find that if you say to an isp can you lower snr to 6 they get a glassed expression lol. But yea im willing to ask them with the right wording

Ash

30-05-2012, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2012 06:40 PM by alexatkin.)
Its a difficult one, as the Cellpipe was intended to avoid us asking these sorts of questions - by making it impossible for us to see the SNR. I guess that is one good thing about LBO, the ZyXel DOES tell you, so you can legitimately talk about this stuff with them.

Personally, I would say "can you alter the SNR Margin for my profile to 6dB".

Obviously its worth keeping an eye on your connection for a few days first to see how much your SNR fluctuates, just to make 100% sure it doesn't actually NEED a 9dB SNRM.

Speaking of latency though, I really don't trust the TBB ping monitor. I mean why is me watching Netflix causing a spike in my maximum latency? Its using a very VERY small percentage of my connections bandwidth, plus QoS is supposed to be active on my routing prioritising ICMP packets above everything else.

30-05-2012, 06:41 PM
if you go 6db then you will be at the maximum speed of your line (as in alex's case it would be 120mb)

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
30-05-2012, 08:17 PM
(30-05-2012 06:41 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  if you go 6db then you will be at the maximum speed of your line (as in alex's case it would be 120mb)

wouldn't 3db tech be at the max even though very little ISPs will set it at that because of stability (the only one i know been BE/o2) ill give them a message on the chat and see what they say about lowering it to 6,

I wouldn't mind actually getting hold of a hacked BT modem to take a look at what it says about my line, But i dont have a spare 40+ quid knocking about especially for something that will be used for about 15 mins

Ash

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)