31-05-2012, 03:37 PM
RE: interleaving
sure goes to show you even bt don't know there selfs lol
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Reply from Support;

Thales have replied to your request of turning off interleaving, they have reduced interleaving delay. Could you please do a retest for us and take a couple of screen shots to attach to your reply.

Will do some tests when I get home... See what these changes have done. I wont hold my breath!

ISP: Ask4 DR Speed: 39.5Mbit /9.90Mbit Ping: 16ms to bbc.co.uk Line Length: ~400m
31-05-2012, 03:46 PM
so a reply i got from ask4 was
Quote:I am just contacting about your recent request to turn your interleaving off, as in previous emails we have confirmed with Thales that interleaving is currently completely turned off at the moment.

Thales have informed us that "removing interleaving reduces the effectiveness of forward error correction. This could lead to more dropped packets." that means that your connection could become very unstable with this turned off.
31-05-2012, 04:22 PM
(31-05-2012 03:46 PM)aceado Wrote:  so a reply i got from ask4 was
Quote:I am just contacting about your recent request to turn your interleaving off, as in previous emails we have confirmed with Thales that interleaving is currently completely turned off at the moment.

Thales have informed us that "removing interleaving reduces the effectiveness of forward error correction. This could lead to more dropped packets." that means that your connection could become very unstable with this turned off.

Well, just keep an eye on things. Do some tests every so often to see if you are losing packets...

ISP: Ask4 DR Speed: 39.5Mbit /9.90Mbit Ping: 16ms to bbc.co.uk Line Length: ~400m
31-05-2012, 04:27 PM
ya am starting to noticing am losing packets i might have to tell them to turn interleaving on but at the very minimal and see how that goes
31-05-2012, 05:04 PM
There's a major outage at the London Internet Exchange (LINX) as of ~16:00 which disrupted traffic for a while, we're routing round it now so if your packet loss was related to this then it should have stopped by now. It's a major outage that will have affected most ISPs, hosting companies etc. with a UK presence.

Tel: 0845 123 8710
Email: support@ask4.com
Portal: http://portal.ask4.com/
31-05-2012, 05:22 PM
So speedtest will show low results? Im doing tests. Pings are MUCH lower, talking ~15ms but speeds are down to 17Mbps... Damn it. Could you let us know when its back up @jody-ASK4, or anyone?

31-05-2012, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2012 05:26 PM by aceado.)
so what i like is how jody-ASK4 told us the problem yet the downside that really does my HEAD in is not having a website to tell us any status like be/o2 does. anyways i've asked for interleaving to be turn on the very minimal as possible for me as i have notice the odd few things timing out on me etc.. so am guessing the FEC errors are quite high for me
31-05-2012, 05:26 PM
A lot of our traffic will be going via transit rather than peering while our LINX connection is down so it's possible it's affected/affecting your speed test results, depends on how the server is connected.

Waiting on an explanation from LINX on what happened before I turn it back on.

31-05-2012, 07:37 PM
LINX is back up, some peers may not bring their sessions back up until tomorrow though.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)