Home Plugs
05-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Home Plugs
Hi all Smile

I just wondered what members thoughts are on these/does anyone use them?

The reason I ask is my computer and master socket is upstairs in the spare bedroom and my Panasonic TV is in the living room,I wondered if it would be a good way to connect the tv via an ethernet to a homeplug.
I am hoping once onto DR I can download and stream films etc onto my tv

Do you get a better download speed using homeplugs instead of wireless?

My tv is a Panasonic 42" TX-L42ET5B

Phil.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2012, 06:49 PM
RE: Home Plugs
I've got some home plugs as you get them free from bt when you order bt vision, but not used them yet as wired directly to a switch - I lent them to neighbour who never had any problems with them and actually helped him achieve near enough max speeds instead of the lower speeds from wifi

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
05-06-2012, 09:19 PM
I've been using some 200Mbps plugs from Solwise for the last few years. Faultless operation and very fast throughput.
05-06-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm using Devolo dLAN 500. 4 of them (2 passthrough), 2 in the lounge and one in each main bedroom.

They are giving me full 39Mbps, but have been meaning to move my NAS to another room from my main machine to see if I am still getting my full disk speed.

The Devolo software (based on Adobe Air unfortunately, but packet captures show the link data is broadcast, so no reason you cannot write you own tool) shows that none of the links are below 168Mbps, and getting 460Mbps between the nearest two.
06-06-2012, 08:15 AM
I have read about different size ones,which are the best ones to get.

I want to be able to connect my tv to one,is it just a case of plugging an ethernet cable into the tv and the other end into the homeplug and then in the other room plug a lead from router to the other homeplug.

Phil.
06-06-2012, 09:41 AM
(06-06-2012 08:15 AM)Ray_Von Wrote:  I have read about different size ones,which are the best ones to get.

I want to be able to connect my tv to one,is it just a case of plugging an ethernet cable into the tv and the other end into the homeplug and then in the other room plug a lead from router to the other homeplug.

It depends on how fast you want to transfer - but if can afford a decent specced one, then get one of them. Remember if then wish to add another you will need to ensure you get same otherwise buy a 3 or 4 pack for later expansion

that's exactly how you connect them, it's very simple really

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
06-06-2012, 09:55 AM
They come in minimum of two's?..Obviously one for router and then one for tv.

I have also read that it is not advisable to plug them into extension leads?

If that is the case downstairs would be ok but upstairs I would need a long(ish) ethernet cable to get from router to wall socket,roughly 5 to 6metres.Does using a long ethernet cable have any detrimental effect on your connection.

Would something like this do the job

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211...850&sr=1-1

Phil.
06-06-2012, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2012 10:03 AM by mirdragon.)
yes, two is the minimum, but you can buy extras (sometimes get the info in the box on where to order from)

They all say not to be used in extension leads but my sister-in-law has hers plugged into one and it doesn't cause any problems

taken from ebuyer website to confirm
Quote:All Powerline products will connect to any switch or router Ethernet port. Powerline adapters can be used with extension leads (except surge protection ones), and will work across different ring mains so long as they share a common fuse box.

yes they are fine - have you looked on ebuyer as they have them for same price, but some dlinks for a £1 cheaper Big Grin

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

06-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks very much Mirdragon,all the info logged firmly into the old memory banks Big Grin

Hopefully once connected onto DR I can get sorted out.More or less decided which isp I am going to go with..There is only one that does a cheaper package Wink

Phil.
06-06-2012, 10:31 AM
I used to have some Orange homeplug's. Worked very well. Must stress they are dependant on the quality of your internal wiring.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)