MAC code advice needed
17-06-2012, 09:51 AM
MAC code advice needed
My O2 contract expires on the 18th July and I am wondering when is the best time to ask for a MAC.

I have been reading quite a bit of conflicting information about not using the MAC for 7 days after issue or getting charged,sending the O2 router back.If you have to send it back that means you will be without the internet till your new Digital Region connection is live?

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/o2/4100...-code.html

Anyone been down this path moving from O2 to a DR isp?

Phil.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2012, 10:57 AM
RE: MAC code advice needed
a mac is valid for 30 days - as long as you say your not cancelling and just want the mac they shouldn't disconnect you - if you don't use it then re-apply for another and keep doing until your ready to move - some companies wont allow you to ask until contract is up (ie 18th July) which then gives them another 30 days for you to pay for so a 12month contract becomes 13month, 18month = 19month, etc, etc

All providers should accept a cancellation for any service within the last month of the contract - i've had many agruments with providers over this and told them i signed up for a 12/18/24 month contract and not a 13/19/25 contract

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
17-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Thanks Mirdragon Smile

I have a payment to be taken on 20th June,which I'm guessing is 1 month in advance,so come the 18th July I should owe nothing...but could I be in breach of contract if the MAC is used before that date. Confused

Have been told to ask for MAC on 11th July then 7 days later(contract expiry date) give my new isp the MAC Confused

Phil.
17-06-2012, 05:09 PM
(17-06-2012 04:13 PM)Ray_Von Wrote:  Thanks Mirdragon Smile

I have a payment to be taken on 20th June,which I'm guessing is 1 month in advance,so come the 18th July I should owe nothing...but could I be in breach of contract if the MAC is used before that date. Confused

Have been told to ask for MAC on 11th July then 7 days later(contract expiry date) give my new isp the MAC Confused

Hi Ray,

Has O2 said how quick they will give you the MAC as I have herd of it taking at least 5 working days for some users. I would clarify this and add into your calculations.

Remember DRL takes around 10-14 working days to go live, so try to plan with that in mind so your not left without service.

Kind Regards,
Oliver

Tel: +44 (0) 800 2062333
Email: info@origin-broadband.co.uk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-06-2012, 06:22 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2012 06:27 PM by mirdragon.)
@Ray_Von - just check you are paying for the service in advance - it should show this on the bill you are paying

if you are paying in advance then once payment has been taken you can request an use your mac without any breach to the contract as you have paid already paid to the end of the contract.

I had similar issues when I left RipWire and they reckoned I owed them money until I proved to them (using copies of their own invoices and if needed a statement from my bank showing how much I had paid them) I had paid in advance for my service from the start. So it is always good to keep copies of bills and invoices incase they are needed in the future.

I would ask for it the minute they take the payment - this will give you upto 5 working days for them to supply it to you and then give to Origin which is another 10-14 working days which could mean you may go live before the 18th July or just after. Ideally you want to start the process as soon as possible so as Oliver says you are not left without a service and paying more to o2.

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
17-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks Smile

Just looking at my O2 BB bill,bill date is the 2nd of each month and the money is taken on the 20th of each month,so the next bill date is 2nd July to be taken on the 20thJuly.
I should probably wait till the bill on the 2 nd July has been generated before asking for a MAC

My last contract was extended on the 19th July 2011,so I'm guessing there is till the 2nd of July payment to be taken to make 12 payments

Phil.
17-06-2012, 07:56 PM
you still need to fully check as with bt they state

Quote:Broadband and Calls 12 Apr - 11 Jul 12

This is the cost of your Package at £25.00 a month, charged in advance from
12 Apr 2012 to 11 Jul 2012.

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

17-06-2012, 09:50 PM
I would say its pretty much guaranteed they will expect you to pay another months fees as they ask for 30 days notice, so going over early would not be a big deal as you will be paying the same regardless.

I would be more concerned about getting it done ASAP to ensure you are moved over before a SECOND month is due.

As for sending the router back, if its anything like Be then as I recall you have 30 days from the day you are disconnected to send it back.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-06-2012, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2012 11:32 AM by clifft.)
I moved from O2. You ask for a MAC and it comes by text and to your email address within 24 hours. If the MAC is used i.e. the transfer is complete within 7 days then you pay £15. Assuming your contract is complete, then you only pay for service used up to the day of transfer. When you request your MAC they send you a bag to send back the router. You send the router back when you have finished with it. They will ask for router, power supply and the original ethernet cable.
If the transfer happens after 30 days from MAC issue they will charge you £15 unless you ask for another MAC code.
18-06-2012, 11:36 AM
ouch - the mac should be provided FOC AFAIK and there shouldn't be any restrictions on usage of it either other than that it is valid for 30 days otherwise you need a new mac

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)