ADSL to ADSL2+ - Very poor speeds
21-07-2012, 12:41 PM
ADSL to ADSL2+ - Very poor speeds
My father-in-law is having massive speed problems with his ADSL connection.
For years he has had a reasonably stable 2Mb ADSL connection - had an issue about 6 months ago which we found was poor extension wiring. These have all be disconnected now.
In the last week it looks like his line has been upgraded to ADSL2+ as the upload speed has gone up.
However, he now can't sync any faster about 280kbps.

The router is plugged into an old-style master socket (no test socket) and there are no extensions wired to this socket. I've tried 4-5 different filters.

Is this a common issue with ADSL2+ for long lines (his line is very long) and what is the best course of action?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Phil

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2012, 12:47 PM
RE: ADSL to ADSL2+ - Very poor speeds
It's not in ADSL2+ mode for a start, but not really unexpected given everything else.

Initially I thought the stats were screwed, but I suspect that things like SNRm and Loop Loss are reporting without a decimal point and should read 50.0 and not 500, and 8.9 not 89 SNRm.

However, insult to injury the attainable rate is 5056, with actual of 283.

Personally, I would state to try an alternate modem first and pull some stats for comparison, as in my eyes, the modem is as much to blame as anything there, or at the very least we cannot use the data within it for accurate reflection.
21-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the input - I'd assumed ADSL2+ based on the fast a BT engineer told me it was coming to that exchange a while ago.

I've been trying to find another modem to try on the line... may have to resort to borrowing from a neighbour as I only have the CellPipe at my house.
21-07-2012, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2012 02:56 PM by pob.)
I forgot that I had a HG612 lying around, so I've just driven over and tried that. Similar stats with just as bad sync speed.

I notice that the output power on both modems is 0 - not sure what this means!

I've found a message in the account saying:
"The broadband service is now being transferred to the 21C Network"
This happened at the end of June, which corresponds to when the speeds plummeted.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

21-07-2012, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2012 04:13 PM by Ray_Von.)
Have a read here

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_explanation.htm

I'm on a very long line with O2 and on ADSL2+

I have my router directly into the master(test) socket and even though all I get is around 2.5mb it is rock solid,has been for the last 3 years.

Perhaps getting him a proper BT master socket installed might be the way forward.

Phil.
21-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Sounds like you are a Plusnet customer. Do you have the ticket ID in question for the account, and I can do some digging for you.
21-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Thanks - I've PM'd you.

I should add that I'm trying to sort this out for him as he is 65 years old and doesn't know how to check line stats etc himself.
21-07-2012, 04:48 PM
If I was you I'd re-terminate the cable, if that doesn't work I'd change the master socket for an NTE5. Also how does the line enter the property?

Lee - (back to ADSL2+ because of the DR closure)

ASK4 DR:Back to ADSL2+
21-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Excellent.

The reason for the very low sync speed is due to a banded profile, but it's unlikely to gain much speed anyway.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/sp...edProfiles

Copper line tests are passing as are the exchange checks. Looking at everything I can see, I would recommend a fault report based on your description, it sound like the master socket should be replaced for a start as it certainly isn't up current standards.
21-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the input - I'll get him to report the fault when I return from holiday in August (I'll need to be around to talk to any BT engineer that comes out).
I'd hope his speed is able to go back up to 2Mb where it has been for years - I don't think the 5Mb-7Mb that the two modems are reporting as 'attainable' are possible as he is a very long way from the exchange.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)