Wired or wireless extension?
13-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Question Wired or wireless extension?
Hi

Looking for help and advice (again)Smile

I have "aquired" (won it in a competition) a Sonos Play 5 Internet enabled media player (Sonos Play 5)and I'm faced with a choice and would appreciate some guidance.

I'd like to put the player in the main living room, but the router is out in the hall. So I'm faced with either moving the router to the living room and running a 15m ADSL lead from the Cellpipe, or using some form of wireless extender to provide a Cat5 connection in the living room. Or I could use the dedicated Sonos item (Sonos Wireless Bridge)

Moving the router would be my preference because that would give me the opportunity to link my Sky+ box to it as well but I'm not sure what detrimental effect that would have on speed etc.

I've always shied away from internal extensions as my copper broadband was so crap (2Mb on a very good day). But now I've got fibre with 14.5 would an extension lead be acceptable?

Barrie
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2012, 04:19 PM
RE: Wired or wireless extension?
If i was to extend something it would be the cat5 either run a cable from the router or better still move the router but leave the cellpipe next to the master socket and link with a long cat5 that way you wont loose any speeds or suffer from a less reliable connection

[Image: livetag_409452.png]
13-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Thought about that but thought the ADSL cable will be a lower profile and easier to route around doorways etc.

I'll have to look for some low profile Cat5 Smile
13-09-2012, 06:38 PM
I suppose another option would be powerline adapters but this option would be more expencive.

13-09-2012, 09:40 PM
(13-09-2012 02:48 PM)essenby Wrote:  Hi

Looking for help and advice (again)Smile

I have "aquired" (won it in a competition) a Sonos Play 5 Internet enabled media player (Sonos Play 5)and I'm faced with a choice and would appreciate some guidance.

I'd like to put the player in the main living room, but the router is out in the hall. So I'm faced with either moving the router to the living room and running a 15m ADSL lead from the Cellpipe, or using some form of wireless extender to provide a Cat5 connection in the living room. Or I could use the dedicated Sonos item (Sonos Wireless Bridge)

Moving the router would be my preference because that would give me the opportunity to link my Sky+ box to it as well but I'm not sure what detrimental effect that would have on speed etc.

I've always shied away from internal extensions as my copper broadband was so crap (2Mb on a very good day). But now I've got fibre with 14.5 would an extension lead be acceptable?

Barrie

Hi @essenby

This is quite my question if you like as I do Sonos installations along with telecommunications so I know all the different ways and options of sorting this out.

As you say there’s many options to sort this from moving the router, Sonos Bridge, powerline adaptors & cat5 cabling.

Do you have any secondary phone outlets where you would like the router to go? Don’t think I’m going to say plug Cellpipe into it but there may be better options to not compromise speed if so!

If your interested drop me a pm and I will be happy to help you.

Matt

Matthew
Forum Administrator
13-09-2012, 10:35 PM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2012 04:00 AM by alexatkin.)
For reliability, keeping the Cellpipe in the master socket but moving your router to the where the equipment you want to connect is located, is best.

Ethernet doesn't degrade over distance, you can have up to 100M of cabling between the Cellpipe and the Router and it will perform the same as 1M.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-09-2012, 09:31 AM
OK - looking like I might be running 20 metres or so of ethernet around some doorways. Wink

Has anyone had any experience with flat ethernet? Running under the carpet seems like a good idea but if you route it along skirting etc - how do you fix it? And in my hall way I have laid some wood effect laminate. Getting it underneath it might present some challenges but if I could do it would it be OK under that?

Barrie_____________________________________
Dreaming the Life rather than Living the Dream Big Grin
18-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Flat ethernet should be fine under laminate i say should because any movement from walking etc may lead to cable wear and breakage.

Also running under carpet can lead to excessive wear of the carpet and cable depending on the thickness of the cable and the route it takes.

If you do go for the underfloor option its best routed in low traffic areas such as around edges etc.

For some people like myself i can route all ethernet downstairs out of site by going through the celler as this sometimes covers the whole property.

18-09-2012, 10:06 PM
I use some 30mm trunking, screwed to skirting. From a distance you can't tell

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)