Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Cell Pipe Alternatives
14-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Cell Pipe Alternatives
Has anyone tried an alternative all in one Modem/Router in place of the cellpipe and router option?

It kind of reminds me when Adsl first came out where we had the little grey adsl usb modem and it was shockingly bad at having to ICS through a computer.

The cellpipe can be setup as a modem/router but as its a slow thing to start with i guess thats why its a bridge now.

It feels like when the Post office had the phone lines and you had to use one of their phones, but now with BT we can use any phone we like. I'd like to see the market deliver some viable home Vdsl routers for us all

AR53841
Forum Moaner

[Image: 2418713233.png]

ISP: Origin Broadband|69Mbps/22Mbps|HG612 (modded)|BT Home Hub 3.0A
Raspberry Pi Raspian Email Server|Raspberry Pi Media Server
Xbox 360|Openbox
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2012, 08:19 AM
RE: Cell Pipe Alternatives
I think Littlebigone use a ZyXEL all in one,so I guess it can be done.I'm sure others will supply you with further information

Phil.
15-10-2012, 01:43 PM
(14-10-2012 10:56 PM)Ar5384 Wrote:  . . as its a slow thing to start with . .

I must admit to feeling more than a little jealous (and confused) if you believe that a down speed of 80Mb is "slow". That is the speed you said you got direct via the CellPipe wasn't it in the "Origin Supplied Router" thread.

Presumably you're using the Tenda router wirelessly - which could account for it maxing out at 55mb/s. Just a thought.

Back on topic I believe some people have had success with a modified BT box.

Also there'e a Draytek all-in-one availble as well.

Barrie_____________________________________
Dreaming the Life rather than Living the Dream Big Grin
15-10-2012, 11:15 PM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2012 11:21 PM by alexatkin.)
The thing is, residential routers are all rather underpowered for their task so by keeping two different devices handling different aspects you can bypass that problem.

I switched to using an Atom PC as my router, as I had a hunch that none of the current kit really gets the best out of FTTC.

Since switching my download speed is much more stable. So personally, I would highly recommend against trying to combine everything into a single box if you want the best out of your connection.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-10-2012, 03:32 PM
(15-10-2012 11:15 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  The thing is, residential routers are all rather underpowered for their task so by keeping two different devices handling different aspects you can bypass that problem.

I switched to using an Atom PC as my router, as I had a hunch that none of the current kit really gets the best out of FTTC.

Since switching my download speed is much more stable. So personally, I would highly recommend against trying to combine everything into a single box if you want the best out of your connection.

I'm sure you've probably mentioned elsewhere but what are you using onto of the PC to do your Firewalling and Routing?

I keep thinking of having another play with this, I used to have an IPCop box running at my old workplace.

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

16-10-2012, 07:02 PM
I have my smoothwall server as backup if needed, but since moving to BT I've not needed it as my connection has only dropped around 3 times and they have all been outages where the whole street has been affected

as of today i've been connected for 54 days, whereas when on DR my maximum connection was 7 - 10 days but usually no more than 7 days and I'm using the same D-Link Dir 825

I only used smoothwall on DR due the constant issues I had, but it's brilliant as a firewall and router and can keep a record of all bandwidth used per device

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
17-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Forgive my ignorance here but I'm at a loss to understand how the service (DR or OR) can affect the performance of the router, which is effect isolated from the service by the modem - in this case the CellPipe?

As I said it could well be my ignorance preventing me from understanding this but I do have an interest. I have been (and am still having) issues with my TP-Link router whereby the wireless service "freezes" occasionally. The CellPipe is still connected, and if I connect to the router via Cat5 I can talk to the world, but the router will NOT connect to or communicate with any device wirelessly. Switching it off and on cures the issue just as would be expected.

This happens quite randomly, overnight or during a browsing session, and once happened 4 times in one day. But at other times the WiFi has stayed up for 4 or 5 days at a time. I have considered replacing it but if the VDSL service can affect the router maybe I won't gain anything?

Barrie_____________________________________
Dreaming the Life rather than Living the Dream Big Grin
17-10-2012, 12:34 PM
this can happen if spurious data is sent or a spike - certains models of the Home Hub 3 have similar issues with the wireless connections - i also get this now and again with my tp-link which i use as an AP only - turning off/on the wifi on my tablet or mobile seems to rectify it and there has only been the odd occassion when i've had to power off/on the tp link router

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
17-10-2012, 12:42 PM
I also find the Wireless on my Netgear DGND3300v2 to be very unreliable even for small bursts particularly with video. Even when it is on my local server, I often end up having to connect via an Ethernet cable on my laptop because the throughput just drops randomly. Turning the Wi-Fi off and on again usually works for a little bit but as soon as I start playing video or doing anything mildly intensive it starts playing up.

The Netgear DGND3300v2 was £120 when I bought it, so it wasn't a cheap model.

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

17-10-2012, 12:53 PM
luckily i've been ok with my dlink dir 825 - not needed to reboot it

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)