Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Cell Pipe Alternatives
17-10-2012, 01:07 PM
RE: Cell Pipe Alternatives
@mirdragon
Your issue doesn't seem quite the same as mine. I don't just lose wireless for one device, they all drop. Both Blackberries, the desktop, the laptop and the tablet - turning wireless off/on any any of these devices doesn't reset the situation because the issue appears to lie with the router.

Given the general feeling at separate boxes are better than all-in-ones, it seems remarkable that my previous router, a plain vanilla "G" class Belkin F5D7632-4 ADSL modem/router NEVER exhibited this behaviour. It even coped with streaming iPlayer direct to the TV albeit not in HD as I only had
Barrie_____________________________________
Dreaming the Life rather than Living the Dream Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2012, 06:19 PM
(17-10-2012 01:07 PM)essenby Wrote:  @mirdragon
Your issue doesn't seem quite the same as mine. I don't just lose wireless for one device, they all drop. Both Blackberries, the desktop, the laptop and the tablet - turning wireless off/on any any of these devices doesn't reset the situation because the issue appears to lie with the router.

Given the general feeling at separate boxes are better than all-in-ones, it seems remarkable that my previous router, a plain vanilla "G" class Belkin F5D7632-4 ADSL modem/router NEVER exhibited this behaviour. It even coped with streaming iPlayer direct to the TV albeit not in HD as I only had
No I would lose it for a couple of devices, but turning wifi on/off on the individual device would resolve it.

You've got to also realise that to get a decent VDSL/Router you will be looking over £150 - If you know someone with a Draytek that is willing to lend you it and test then you will know it would be suitable for you.

Otherwise get a HG612 of ebay, mod it and then use it in place of the cellpipe. then get a decent router or make one yourself.

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
18-10-2012, 12:20 AM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2012 12:33 AM by alexatkin.)
Is there any point in replacing the Cellpipe if you don't care about line stats?

I wouldn't say the performance difference between them is really notable.

The only thing is that you CAN use the HG612 is a combined modem/router, but without WiFi, only two ethernet ports, it doesn't seem worth it.

I you want to spend £150 I still think its better to build a small Atom box and run a more diverse router distro on that, keeping the Cellpipe for modem duty. Especially as if you then decide to switch to FTTP in a few years time, the Atom should still handle a couple of hundred megabits whereas VERY few commercial routers will go that high and even less with multiple concurrent connections.

(16-10-2012 03:32 PM)Chalky Wrote:  I'm sure you've probably mentioned elsewhere but what are you using onto of the PC to do your Firewalling and Routing?

I keep thinking of having another play with this, I used to have an IPCop box running at my old workplace.

I did look into several router/firewall distros, but they all seemed very focused on being politically correct. In other words, "thou shalt not run servers on thy firewall". But I wanted to run various scripts and stats pages using PHP, basically some stuff which none of the firewall distros seemed to support as they considered doing so too much of a security risk.

So I use a build of OpenWRT someone made specifically for multi-core PCs, mostly with Atoms in mind but no reason it shouldn't work on anything x86.

The whole thing just runs off a 2GB memory stick, but would fit on a 1GB. The beauty of using OpenWRT is that it was primarily designed for running on commercial routers, so it loads everything up into RAM and thus doesn't wear out the USB stick by constantly writing to it. Yet it still also has enough standard Linux software to do other tasks too, if you want to. Although the guy hasn't ported all the standard OpenWRT packages over as with OpenWRT not being designed with multiple CPU cores in mind, its not always simple to just compile them for SMP.

He does take requests though if there is something useful you want, for example he included both version of the Linux QoS functionality because I wanted IMQ support but OpenWRT had dropped support in favour of IFB which is rather defective right now IMO.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-10-2012, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2012 09:45 AM by essenby.)
Now *THAT* sounds very interesting - very appealing to the geek in me Smile. Presumably as it is not designed for multiple cores, it would run on something like a Raspberry Pi or PogoPlug type of device? What are the hardware requirements - or when can I browse them for myself?

30-10-2012, 08:35 PM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2012 06:23 AM by asbokid.)
Sad RE: Cell Pipe Alternatives
Hope it's okay to post this here..

Finally arrived from the Orient: a box full of Huawei HG610V VDSL2 modem-routers!

Ordered way back in July(!) they have been sitting for several months in a shed at Shanghai International Airport: the shipping box apparently 140 grams too heavy for the flight

With the same Broadcom BCM6368 chipset as the HG612, the performance of these HG610V should be much the same, if not identical to the HG612. Though, instead of having just two ethernet ports, the 610V has four ports.

The vendor ‘did a good deal’ so they can be sold on ebay to raise money for charity.

100% of the sale price will go to The Dogs Trust, “the UK’s largest dog welfare charity“.

The Dogs Trust has a strict policy: “we never destroy a healthy dog“.

The devices will be about £15. A fund-raising counter can go on my blog somewhere.

Anyone interested?

cheers, a

[Image: DSC-0192b.jpg]

[Image: DSC-0189b.jpg]

[Image: DSC-0196b.jpg]

EDIT: compare HG610V against PCB photos of HG612 at: http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/...cb-photos/

HG610V:
[Image: DSC-0201b.jpg]

HG612:
[Image: hg612mb12.100.jpg]
(image courtesy of kerneldump.org.uk)
31-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Hmm, I defo would have picked one of these up if I hadn't got my HG612 already. Good price.

ISP: plusnet Router: Huawei EchoLife HG612 Speed: ~53Mb/13Mb PCP: ~500m Exc: Intake
31-10-2012, 10:18 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2012 10:18 AM by essenby.)
I presume these will need "modding" in order to work with Origin. Would the standard HG612 instructions apply in this case or will some superstar have to work it all out from scratch?

At that sort of price it would be VERY hard to resist :-)

31-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Shouldn't need to mod. The hg612 only needed nodding cos of bt firmware

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
31-10-2012, 11:50 AM
In that case - I'm in Big Grin

31-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Just joined, first post and in the process of moving from Ask4 to Origin SmileI'll take a punt on one of these too!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)