Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Digital Region in Handsworth New Build
20-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Digital Region in Handsworth New Build
Hi Guys, i have recently moved to the Gateway development in Handsworth. The entire area development is connected to Attercliffe exchange and the ADSL speed ranges from 0.8 to 1.5mb.

Attercliffe is Virgin enabled but the cable was never laid in the development while BT have no plans to upgrade the exchange.

I did some research and found out about DR but my postcode is not showing as available on Origin or Little Big One websites even though the nearest cabinet is upgraded.

BT can't tell me what my cabinet is apparently because i am with SKY. I am now in the process of moving to BT for my phone line but i want to find out what my cabinet is to see what my broadband options are.....

Postcode is S13 9DP and i assume i am in the same boat as all others in the development.

Any ideas or advice or help? I can hardly surf the web as it is.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2012, 06:24 PM
RE: Digital Region in Handsworth New Build
(20-10-2012 05:32 PM)chittybang Wrote:  Hi Guys, i have recently moved to the Gateway development in Handsworth. The entire area development is connected to Attercliffe exchange and the ADSL speed ranges from 0.8 to 1.5mb.

Attercliffe is Virgin enabled but the cable was never laid in the development while BT have no plans to upgrade the exchange.

I did some research and found out about DR but my postcode is not showing as available on Origin or Little Big One websites even though the nearest cabinet is upgraded.

BT can't tell me what my cabinet is apparently because i am with SKY. I am now in the process of moving to BT for my phone line but i want to find out what my cabinet is to see what my broadband options are.....

Postcode is S13 9DP and i assume i am in the same boat as all others in the development.

Any ideas or advice or help? I can hardly surf the web as it is.

Hi there,

It’s always difficult to perform checks and establish information relating to your telephone line if your line is a full LLU circuit where another service provider effectively owns the line as the BT system can’t see the number until you revert back to BT.

If you could describe where your build in relation to area; Finchwell Rise/Road is this may provide a clue as to what cabinet you are likely to be connected off, you are correct that your area is served by Attercliffe however the two local cabinets quite near Attercliffe 22 & 62 are both connected to the network and if you are routed through these you should be able to receive service.

To be honest looking at the location of your postcode there is two PCP’s in place which look to be more than adequate of serving your area, however they could be a new PCP of Attercliffe or Woodhouse that you route through and therefore isn’t connected to the DRL network.

Drop me a PM or reply either way and I’ll see what’s what as best as possible for you!

Matthew
Forum Administrator
20-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Thanks Matty, thanks a bunch i will try and explain.

If you do a postcode check on google for s13 9dp, you will see a little dead-end forking off Finchwell rise (instead of carrying on to Stoneycroft road).

The houses are all on that little bit of grey next to the dead-end.

Attercliffe 62 (noticed it for the first time as i came home now.....typical) is at the start of Finchwell road.

Unfortunately another Box with the number 80 printed on it is situated where Halesworth intersects Quarry road if you look towards the A630. I fear we might be connected to that one even though it is further away.

Attercliffe 22 is at the start of Oakley road and further than the previous two. I have not seen any other ones dotted around the area.
21-10-2012, 10:56 AM
(20-10-2012 07:51 PM)chittybang Wrote:  Thanks Matty, thanks a bunch i will try and explain.

If you do a postcode check on google for s13 9dp, you will see a little dead-end forking off Finchwell rise (instead of carrying on to Stoneycroft road).

Attercliffe 62 (noticed it for the first time as i came home now.....typical) is at the start of Finchwell road.

Unfortunately another Box with the number 80 printed on it is situated where Halesworth intersects Quarry road if you look towards the A630. I fear we might be connected to that one even though it is further away.

Attercliffe 22 is at the start of Oakley road and further than the previous two. I have not seen any other ones dotted around the area.
Thanks for the information it’s very difficult at this stage to know exactly what PCP your connected too as it depends on spare cabling within cabinets to whether BT put a new one in or use existing within new development sites.

Theres a good chance that you actually connect to Attercliffe 80 which is situated on Halesworth Road on the corner of Quarry Road where the new houses development starts. There is a good chance this is a new cabinet just for the development and therefore DRL didn’t install a FTTC at the side at the time of the rollout.

Of course once you’ve got an actual BT landline number owned by them again I can check this for definite for you as BT have wired ways of routing cabling and you may find the last few houses switch back to Attercliffe 62, who knows!

Matthew
Forum Administrator
21-10-2012, 12:41 PM
(21-10-2012 10:56 AM)mattyatty1 Wrote:  
(20-10-2012 07:51 PM)chittybang Wrote:  Thanks Matty, thanks a bunch i will try and explain.

Thanks for the information it’s very difficult at this stage to know exactly what PCP your connected too as it depends on spare cabling within cabinets to whether BT put a new one in or use existing within new development sites.

Theres a good chance that you actually connect to Attercliffe 80 which is situated on Halesworth Road on the corner of Quarry Road where the new houses development starts. There is a good chance this is a new cabinet just for the development and therefore DRL didn’t install a FTTC at the side at the time of the rollout.

Of course once you’ve got an actual BT landline number owned by them again I can check this for definite for you as BT have wired ways of routing cabling and you may find the last few houses switch back to Attercliffe 62, who knows!

Decided i had nothing to gain by keeping my phone with SKY so pressing on with the switch to BT as that will open up lots more options (especially if they ever decide to upgrade Attercliffe). My change is 1st November so here is to hoping i am on ATT 62.

Is there any way i can get the engineer to change my Cab? Very unlikely but one can hope Smile

I will also speak to some of my neighbours and find out who they are with to see if that helps. Might be some with BT and could use their number to check cabinets

Thanks for all the help Matty, i will report back once i have a BT line in place.
21-10-2012, 02:19 PM
(21-10-2012 12:41 PM)chittybang Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 10:56 AM)mattyatty1 Wrote:  

Decided i had nothing to gain by keeping my phone with SKY so pressing on with the switch to BT as that will open up lots more options (especially if they ever decide to upgrade Attercliffe). My change is 1st November so here is to hoping i am on ATT 62.

Is there any way i can get the engineer to change my Cab? Very unlikely but one can hope Smile

I will also speak to some of my neighbours and find out who they are with to see if that helps. Might be some with BT and could use their number to check cabinets

Thanks for all the help Matty, i will report back once i have a BT line in place.

Yeah it certainly does I would always keep my line rental with BT as well because should you have a problem they just seem to deal with things quicker and more efficiently so it does make sense!

I guess you will have to hope that you are on Att 62 but who knows until the switch. It’s a nonstarter changing cabinets as each distribution point/man whole/telegraph pole is normally fed by the same PCP and not several so its unlikely you could change, but if you had persistent problems or you ordered a business line and specified a cabinet then you have the potential to change.

If you get a few neighbours landline numbers send me a PM because they may pay an alternative company for broadband and calls but still with BT with regards to line rental without realising. This may give an idea but again your house could be the odd one out and connected to a completely different cabinet.

No worries, glad I can help you!

Matthew
Forum Administrator
21-10-2012, 04:41 PM
PM Sent Matty. Thanks
22-10-2012, 01:58 AM
Have you checked streetview?

The estate was still being built at the time so there might be some clues such as if your house is there and one of the BT cabinets is NOT there, you can pretty much rule out that you are connected to that one.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-10-2012, 11:20 AM
(22-10-2012 01:58 AM)alexatkin Wrote:  Have you checked streetview?

The estate was still being built at the time so there might be some clues such as if your house is there and one of the BT cabinets is NOT there, you can pretty much rule out that you are connected to that one.

Thanks Alex, found the cabinet now (Matty was very helpful)

Not good news as i am connected to the new cabinet. Emailed digital region who say it will be £50k to upgrade the cabinet and that they will "add it to the folder"

Not holding my breath but thanks for all the help guys.
11-01-2013, 01:35 AM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I live on the same street as chitty (same post code anyway) and my internet is shocking. Does anyone know if digital region are planning to infill any cabinets such as this? I'm sure the uptake would be huge with how slow the ADSL connection is and the fact that BT clearly have no intentions of upgrading the attercliffe telephone exchange?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)