Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Got my cellpipe
20-12-2012, 01:28 AM
RE: Got my cellpipe
Has this issue been resolved yet?

Quick question, the DSL light doesn't go out when you are using the phone at all?..Curious xD

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2012, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2012 08:57 PM by SPritchard.)
(20-12-2012 01:28 AM)SpencerUk Wrote:  Has this issue been resolved yet?

Quick question, the DSL light doesn't go out when you are using the phone at all?..Curious xD

No, no, the light doesn't go out when the phone is used. That was one of the first things i checked Smile

However, the issue might have been solved.

I was phoned on Wednesday morning by Matt from Origin to tell me they were gonna send an engineer out to replace the parts at my end and to eliminate any issues there. He also mentioned other people on the same cabinet were getting much better speeds and that my line had a lot of noise on it.

First thing this morning, an engineer turned up and replaced the line from our house to the telephone pole and fitted an entirely new socket. He relocated it to the other side of the room which is better as it allows us to keep the cables super short. Essentially, everything in the network at our end is completely new. It's an old house and the lines have been there since the start. They did "replace" the line a few years ago, but upon checking it this morning, the engineer said that they hadn't done it properly.

Despite the replacements, the line was still unstable, and i had 6 disconnects in an hour and half. As an absolute last resort, i switched the router i bought with the one Origin sent me. Keep in mind they're the same brand, and from the same series, with the only difference being wifi speed and number of aerials. I switched the router about 2 and a half hours ago, and sure enough, there's not been any hint of instability. The ping to Sheffield Xilo speedtest was 40ms min. on the old router, and it's now 30ms max on the new one. I've not had a single disconnect, and speeds are now sitting on 28Mb/s (after they were capped down to 20Mb/s and the connection was still dropping). I'm just hoping it's actually capped at 30Mb/s right now and that it'll be fully uncapped soon and remain stable (as opposed to losing 12Mb/s over a 350m line).

I'm not sure if it's genuinely been fixed, whether from the parts being replaced or the router being switched, or whether it's just luck and it's holding out for the moment, but stability definitely feels much better. If it manages to hold out for more than 24 hours, then i'll be much happier.

It seems strange that it might have been the router causing the issue despite the 2 i have available being almost identical. It could even be something set incorrectly within the old router, since all i did with this one was setup the connection (same as i had previously) and wifi, and didn't bother with tweaking anything else.
Find all posts by this user
21-12-2012, 06:06 PM
I know this might sound inconvenient but best way to monitor stability in my eyes would be to create a manual PPoE connection directly to the cellpipe and rule out the router. Best way of recording a session

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)