Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
The horrible 70mb limitation
03-01-2013, 01:40 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2013 02:34 AM by AR53841.)
The horrible 70mb limitation
I couldnt remember the password on my old account ar5384 so here i am having a lil moan again

I finally put a HG612 modem on the line so i could see the connection for myself and saw my connection speed of 69998kbit/s down and 22304 kbit/s up.

Ive read about the "exchange" changes that was supposed to be made to increase us with max speed packages around 100mb on the 17a profile, but has that now come and gone again as to being done?

I heard origin were going to do an upgrade on certain cabinets, i got the impression you were installing your own gear from what i was told, is this gear to support the 30a profile? or was this just fancy wording about the 17a profile being fixed to give 100mb?

Eitherway my main question is about the Max Attainable line stats, the information i see is it says max attainable is Attainable rate (kbit/s) 144592 (down) 22792 (up) , is this the test the modem does to the cabinet equipment to determine what the equipment could sync at? or is it just a line distance to cabinet check?

Reason i ask is, if it is what the cabinet equipment is capable of giving me, and i was promised that on the max package i would get the max i could achieve, then technically, im getting only half due to a problem with the cabinet equipment not being setup correctly or a "faulty" profile 17a Undecidedand that is where i do have a heartfelt feeling that maybe im buying a product that isnt able to be fully delivered?

In relation to my stats heres a current speedtest, makes me think theres something not quite right between the sync speed and the download speed, what do you think?
[Image: 2409824071.png]

Anyway, im interested so please let me know. Origin, i have emailed you Wink

AR53841
Forum Moaner

[Image: 2418713233.png]

ISP: Origin Broadband|69Mbps/22Mbps|HG612 (modded)|BT Home Hub 3.0A
Raspberry Pi Raspian Email Server|Raspberry Pi Media Server
Xbox 360|Openbox
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2013, 08:37 AM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2013 08:39 AM by alexatkin.)
RE: The horrible 70mb limitation
Sorry for not finding this post sooner.

The Max Attainable rate "should" be an actual report of what the cabinet/modem think they can get out of your line, it certainly was on ADSL and I doubt they would change how it works that much.

The actual sync speed may be slightly lower, but as you see from your upload speed vs the maximum upload, it doesn't usually differ by much.

As for the upgrade, as nothing "official" has been mentioned, I have no idea. I am just as anxious as you to see my line reach its full potential. It sucks syncing slower than people on Infinity 2.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-01-2013, 09:16 AM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2013 09:18 AM by Dearne Ranger.)
(15-01-2013 08:37 AM)alexatkin Wrote:  Sorry for not finding this post sooner.

The Max Attainable rate "should" be an actual report of what the cabinet/modem think they can get out of your line, it certainly was on ADSL and I doubt they would change how it works that much.

The actual sync speed may be slightly lower, but as you see from your upload speed vs the maximum upload, it doesn't usually differ by much.

As for the upgrade, as nothing "official" has been mentioned, I have no idea. I am just as anxious as you to see my line reach its full potential. It sucks syncing slower than people on Infinity 2.

But of course, people on Infinity (and Infinity 2, and so on) are troubled by packet-shaping, throttling, data transfer caps and all sorts of other nonsense. Some relatives have Infinity 2 at something like 75Mbps - but there's a 40GB limit on their account. What use is that?

Perhaps my DR connection is slower than I might get on Infinity (in a totally hypothetical situation - as Infinity doesn't reach my town!) but I'm willing to trade that off for the no-worries service I get with Origin. If I wanted to leave my machine on all day and night streaming and downloading and seeding and things, I could. (I don't, of course. I go to work, turn off the PC and respect the other network users. But I could, with no worries of letters telling me off.)
15-01-2013, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2013 09:09 PM by mirdragon.)
(15-01-2013 09:16 AM)Dearne Ranger Wrote:  But of course, people on Infinity (and Infinity 2, and so on) are troubled by packet-shaping, throttling, data transfer caps and all sorts of other nonsense. Some relatives have Infinity 2 at something like 75Mbps - but there's a 40GB limit on their account. What use is that?

Perhaps my DR connection is slower than I might get on Infinity (in a totally hypothetical situation - as Infinity doesn't reach my town!) but I'm willing to trade that off for the no-worries service I get with Origin. If I wanted to leave my machine on all day and night streaming and downloading and seeding and things, I could. (I don't, of course. I go to work, turn off the PC and respect the other network users. But I could, with no worries of letters telling me off.)

I have no problems with packet-shaping, throttling, data transfer caps and all sorts of other nonsense. In fact since moved away from Digital Region and back to BT Infinity 2, I've actually seen packet-shaping, throttling and all other sorts of nonsense that I had while on Digital Region actually disappear.

Overall my connection has been far better than what I ever got on Digital Region and is a reason why I have signed up to BT for another year. If it weren't with BT, I would have probably gone with either Plusnet or Sky.

But with past experience of the Digital Region and the numerous problems I had and seeing some people still are receiving similar issues then I won't be back anytime soon.

As I've mentioned on the Sheffield forum, people need to stop saying that BT limit you to 40GB and they throttle this, that and the other. If you haven't had BT Infinity then how do you know what they do/don't do (unless you actually work for them).

BT removed the caps more than a year ago, and they even state the product is unlimited. I've already downloaded over 40GB since 1 Jan 2013 and I'm not a heavy user, with most being around 110GB in a month. My average based on last month is around 60GB.

So if your relatives are on 40GB packages then they would have either requested it or been placed on that package based on usage. But they can ring BT and get switched across to the unlimited packages quite easily.

BT advise that p2p is managed, but who uses it these days, I don't as I don't really have a need for it, so not bothered.

with HTTP and Usenet downloads I have hit 9.32mb/s and sometimes more on my 76mb connection.

Even with PN you can get so much around 250-300GB a month peak-time usage and unlimited off-peak usage for a reasonable price and TBH, the pricing on Digital Region needs to be brought inline with the big players to bring in more custom, but they also need to sort out the current network issues that keep plaguing users.

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
15-01-2013, 09:55 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2013 09:56 PM by ash45.)
(15-01-2013 08:04 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  Even with PN you can get so much around 250-300GB a month peak-time usage and unlimited off-peak usage for a reasonable price and TBH, the pricing on Digital Region needs to be brought inline with the big players to bring in more custom, but they also need to sort out the current network issues that keep plaguing users.

PN is now unlimited 24/7 with no traffic shaping (though they do still have prioritisation for voip and gaming) my upgrade to unlimited gos threw 22nd this month no more limits, now paying £19.99, and getting a lot better service with PN than i had wih LBO for £35

Ash

[Image: 4173472130.png][Image: 8115047.png]
15-01-2013, 10:05 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2013 10:06 PM by mirdragon.)
(15-01-2013 09:55 PM)ash45 Wrote:  
(15-01-2013 08:04 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  Even with PN you can get so much around 250-300GB a month peak-time usage and unlimited off-peak usage for a reasonable price and TBH, the pricing on Digital Region needs to be brought inline with the big players to bring in more custom, but they also need to sort out the current network issues that keep plaguing users.

PN is now unlimited 24/7 with no traffic shaping (though they do still have prioritisation for voip and gaming) my upgrade to unlimited gos threw 22nd this month no more limits, now paying £19.99, and getting a lot better service with PN than i had wih LBO for £35

Ash

I thought many times about going back with PN, I still have my F9 account with them Smileand never really had problems with them before. I knew they were looking at removing the limit (similar to BT when they initially increased infinity to 300GB limit), but weren't sure when

This is the thing, users that have left the network have found the service to be better using BT Fibre compared to the DR Fibre which is supposed to be a far superior service, which says to me there must be something wrong with the DR Network as a whole for this to happen.

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
15-01-2013, 10:28 PM
(15-01-2013 10:05 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  

Ash

I thought many times about going back with PN, I still have my F9 account with them Smileand never really had problems with them before. I knew they were looking at removing the limit (similar to BT when they initially increased infinity to 300GB limit), but weren't sure when

This is the thing, users that have left the network have found the service to be better using BT Fibre compared to the DR Fibre which is supposed to be a far superior service, which says to me there must be something wrong with the DR Network as a whole for this to happen.

Does PN cap at the same speeds as infinity 2 because I may look at changing when my contract is up with LBO if I can get truly unlimited

[Image: livetag_409452.png]
16-01-2013, 01:41 AM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2013 01:41 AM by ash45.)
(15-01-2013 10:28 PM)tekmobile Wrote:  
(15-01-2013 10:05 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  

Ash

Does PN cap at the same speeds as infinity 2 because I may look at changing when my contract is up with LBO if I can get truly unlimited

yea its 80/20 same as infinity, unlimited 80/20 is 19.99 and 40/10 with 40gig limit is 15.99, TBF even if you can only get less than 40meg the 80/20 product is better value just because its unlimited lol

PN packages

Ash

16-01-2013, 02:02 AM
(16-01-2013 01:41 AM)ash45 Wrote:  yea its 80/20 same as infinity, unlimited 80/20 is 19.99 and 40/10 with 40gig limit is 15.99, TBF even if you can only get less than 40meg the 80/20 product is better value just because its unlimited lol

PN packages

Ash

Thanks I do need unlimited as sometimes I can do over a TB but usually its under 200GB/m

Ive still a bit to go on my contract so ive plenty of time to see of DR can be changed/improved and limits increased or better still able to roll out FTTH/FTTP if not I will most likely switch back to BT Fibre

[Image: livetag_409452.png]
16-01-2013, 02:34 AM
(16-01-2013 02:02 AM)tekmobile Wrote:  
(16-01-2013 01:41 AM)ash45 Wrote:  yea its 80/20 same as infinity, unlimited 80/20 is 19.99 and 40/10 with 40gig limit is 15.99, TBF even if you can only get less than 40meg the 80/20 product is better value just because its unlimited lol

PN packages

Ash

Thanks I do need unlimited as sometimes I can do over a TB but usually its under 200GB/m

Ive still a bit to go on my contract so ive plenty of time to see of DR can be changed/improved and limits increased or better still able to roll out FTTH/FTTP if not I will most likely switch back to BT Fibre

yea im the same TBF i have been coping with the 250gig limit but ive known in the past to go well over 500gig so ive always liked the unlimited side of the IPS iv'e been with, plus net are the first ive ever been on with a cap but as of the 22nd this month that will be going. also live the fact that that 1 off payment gets you a static IP i was paying LBO £3 a month for that and it never worked right it would not resolve to my router lol.

Ash

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)