Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
The horrible 70mb limitation
12-03-2013, 01:21 PM
RE: The horrible 70mb limitation
(12-03-2013 12:00 PM)Chalky Wrote:  
(12-03-2013 01:39 AM)Romburner Wrote:  Well, I wish I could even get the speed that I sync at... I have max, sync at around 65ish down and 18ish up but only get max of just over 40 down and wait for it.... 2mbit up.

When I first got the line with origin they spent a while trying to sort it out and were unsuccessful. I left it with them, that was 3 months ago. I ended up sending them an email 8 days ago giving them a week to look into the issue again and they have not even bothered to reply.

So, as promised I will be calling them tomorrow to downgrade my package to 40/10 as I may as well save some money as they can't provide the speed I am paying for.

The only time I can get any faster speeds is if I use a protocol with multiple connections - eg torrents (which I don't use at all). I use single connections - FTP mainly. So their 'MAX' is pretty much useless to me.

I'm struggling to understand what your issue is to be honest. You have a speed test in your signature showing 62.74 down and 18.46 up which shows that your line is capable and is getting the full service. The speedtest.net service is only using a single connection and that is working fine, you have already said that it runs fine with torrents too.

If you are using FTP and only getting 40 down and 2 up then I would suggest it's more of an issue with the FTP servers you are connecting to. It is possible that those servers are busy or, more likely, have a limit on the connections.

In which case, you can't really blame Origin for that and certainly can't say they are not providing the speed that you are paying for when clearly it is capable of doing so.

The FTP server is my local FTP, no restrictions on speed or connections. It is physically running from a server on my connection. Locally I can max out my network on a single FTP connection.... the slowdown is out over WAN.

The other issue is that usenet will not go above 5mbi even though there is no speed restriction on my accounts, I have over 70 connections to 2 usenet providers. It does not matter if I connect to one or both, max I will get is 5MB/sec.

So yes, it is WAN side, not my server.

Before:[Image: 2291607876.png]After:[Image: 3692935262.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2013, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 09:32 PM by alexatkin.)
RE: The horrible 70mb limitation
As others have said, if speedtest.net is showing good results and you can get full speed downloading/uploading to other sites from home, its unlikely to be anything at all to do with Origin. Although I must also point out that even uploading from home is not guaranteed to go full speed anyway, I notice when uploading to my own VPS account it can vary, and things like Flickr or YouTube never gets close to maxing out. That again is nothing to do with Origin, its just the nature of the Internet.

As for FTP, I have always ALWAYS had issues trying to get FTP to run full speed on any connection I have had. Its a very twitchy protocol that doesn't seem to scale well to faster connections. However I have been able to max out my upload from my connection using scp (although not always) and http.

One thing I would recommend if you aren't sure what is going on, install a web server on your box at home and then put speedtest mini on there. Then from a known good connection outside your LAN, access that speedtest. You will more than likely find it comes out fine.

As for Usenet, again I don't think its Origin. I can max my connection 99% of the time on Astraweb.

I am happy to help you test stuff out if you want.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)